Any Rollerbladers Out There?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Patmian212, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Hey guys,
    Recently my best friend started skateboarding again after like 9 months, 9 months ago he broke his board and he recently bought a new one. That kind of made me want to get back into rollerblading. I havent rollerbladed snce I was around 13 years old. I used to live in NYC and it was huge there. I remeber the good times in union square or tailgating to get up town. I was pretty good I think, I could do some grinds and grabs and 180s(never got to 360s). So today I picked up my blades again(first time in 4 years) and went with my friend. WOW did I suck! I could barely stand let alone jump or do crossovers. After about an hour or I was geting the hang of it, I could do the basics, skating and learned how to do the T-stop again. I'm kind of dissapointed with myself. I didnt even try anything daring, I have this new found feeling of falling. Back when I was 13 I would try almost anything. Hopefully I get the magic back.
    Well I just wanted to know if there are any other bladers out there. Do you do tricks or simply do it for exercise? How long did it take you to get good?

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I do it for hockey. But ice is so much better.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Well, the British Parks police have given up rollerblading since they found that any criminals they were chasing ran across the grass...:p

4. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I used to play a lot of street puck aswell. If i could only do my cross overs without falling over and learn to skate backwards I would get back into it in a heart beat.

5. dcv macrumors G3

I skate occasionally... not very well though! I guess I skate more for fitness really and don't know any tricks. I used to do the organised street skates around London on a Wed/Fri night but haven't done so for a couple of years. Am waiting for the weather to improve and might give it another go this year :)

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I don't understand how you can lose the ability to crossover and skate backwards in just four years.

Skating is not like riding a bike and you quickly lose the fine motor controls required to perform precise turns and smooth two footed hockey stops (I'm talking of ice here) but no matter how long a layoff I've had I retain at least the rough mechanics of skating.

Then again, I've never taken more than a month off ice hockey since I started, so four years might obliterate my abilities for all I know.

7. Togglehead macrumors 6502

Yeah ive been skating for years.....not aggressively anymore, since i blew out my knees quite a bunch

I mainly do it for excersize now, and i love it...its still fun...but it DID take me a bit on the skates to get used to cross turning and t-stops.....i learned quick though, with no other way to brake....lol

it takes a bit to get your balance back up....you never forget how to ride a bike....but can you tell me youre AWESOME at it after not biking forever? i mean....i ride motorcycles too....and now bicycles are impossible to turn for me...lol

8. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Well, in Denver about 10 years ago there was a massive hatred between skaters and bladers. I remember getting into fight with blades and tripping them. lmao.

Sorry, probably off topic but it brought back the days when we took back our skate parks from them..