Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsbritneybitch

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2010
Lala land
i would love to see all of the older simulation games making their way to the iPad. that would be so cool. I wonder why they haven't already started making any progress with the potential market they have to penetrate

Suspended
Feb 23, 2010
I just wanted to open a new thread but I guess I was not the only one wishing for RTC to come out for the iPad. I hope some developers out there are reading the mu forum threads ;) It would also be great if a bridge builder app would be released... Good old days where you actually played a game for years.

LiloThePleo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2010
I love RCT 1, 2 and 3, I'd love to have any of them on my ipad, along with the original sims (full game not these half a*#$d attempts currently out), zoo tycoon 1 or 2 and finally Age of Empires 1 or 2...

Any real game would be good, every game I've played so far in the app store (except Plant VS Zombies which took me weeks to get through (casual player)) just doesn't have the same depth. As soon as ports like these appear though the iPad really can advertise itself as a viable games platform.

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
The graphic and genre of Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 would awesome on the iPad.
The 2D graphic is perfect.

I didn't like Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 because of the 3D. Why 3D anywhere? 2D is the perfect key for games like these.

Akash.B

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
I love RC and RC 2. If they were to release them both as a bundle, with the expansions, I'd pay $50 for it. I wish we could find his real address, so we could send him fan mail to do it on the iPad.

Locomotion is a splendid game also, I enjoy it even more than RC sometimes. You should definitely buy it! It also has a demo.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
RollerCoaster Tycoon was definitely a great game, but it doesn't beat Transport Tycoon Deluxe in awesomeness :D. Many hours of my youth wasted on that one. Actually, how cool would it be if OpenTTD was ported to the iPad? Unfortunately I think even Mac OS X development has been halted. And I think it still requires the GFX and sound files from the original, which would be a problem for an app store version.

By the way - is Locomotion an updated version of Transport Tycoon, or something?

Attachments

• ttdx.png
    ttdx.png
    102.6 KB · Views: 267

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
RCT 1 + RCT 2 on iPad would indeed be great for iPad. It's pretty finger-friendly, and as you said... only some buttons must be a bit larger. It would be really awesome if RCT 1 and 2 came out for iPad! :D

gigemzach

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
I would pay a lot of Money for the iPad version, as long as it was more like the original roller coaster tycoon and not the third one. That one ruined the future of the game. The only cool part on that version was the pools.

Akash.B

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Locomotion is the spiritual successor to transport Tycoon Deluxe. The original RCT was going to be Locomotion, but Chris Sawyer was very interested in roller coasters at the time. So after RC1 and two? In 2004 he released Locomotion. There's a whole interview at IGN about it.

Scuby

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
Actually, how cool would it be if OpenTTD was ported to the iPad?

It was, briefly. It was ported, but then pulled after some of the other developers complained that it broke the rules of the open source license. That was resolved and it came back - when i downloaded it - but unfortunately it's since disappeared from the App Store again. To be honest it mostly works, but nothin's been scaled for touchscreen so it's pretty much impossible to play unless you have a stylus (which i don't have, so have never got any further than building a couple of bits of road before i abandoned it). Shame, because with a usable (at keast resized, ideally redine with touch in mind) interface it could have been really good.

David

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
Best...idea...ever...

My two favourite PC games were RCT and SimCity 3000 back in the day! They were engaging, elegant, with layers of complexity and even had great music!

There is a reasonable SC3K iPhone app (although I don't own it- screen too small) but no iPad app (which would rule). If an RCT iPad app came out too I'd be tempted to get one!

drjsway

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
Actually, a lot of classic games come to mind that would be awesome on the iPad. Maybe what someone needs to do is to develop a sort of 'doxbox' for the iPad. Although then RTC would be out, but RRT would work! And the /original/ simcity.

It already exists. It's called DosPad.

Zay1993

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
Whitehorse, Yukon.
Absolutely amazing idea. I would pay 20-30$ for that and buy and iPad simply for RCT 1 and 2. Those games alone would make me purchase an iPad! If only it could happen! I spend so many hours playing those games on my old 200 mhz windows 98 computer! Slow and laggy but worth it. :D

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
There were legal disputes between Chris Sawyer and Frontier, so I wouldn't get your hopes up for any port to the iPad. Or anything else for that matter. Which is a shame because it was an excellent franchise and made lots of money. It could be quite successful again. I know that I sure would buy it.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Ahahaha, good times... uncompleted roller coasters and water that randomly appears over you and drowns you -- that's what you get for 10c entry fee's.

wilsonlaidlaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
While you are waiting

While you are waiting, there is always the freebee app "Waterslide" which came from a Barclays Bank advert.

Wilson

nexsta

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007
Rollercoaster Tycoon would be epic on the ipad, I also thinked about it, it's a shame that developers don't port it, they would make many people happy and earn a lot of cash. theme hospital also a great addictive game that would fit perfectly for the ipad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH2cwkBOU4I

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Rollercoaster Tycoon would be epic on the ipad, I also thinked about it, it's a shame that developers don't port it, they would make many people happy and earn a lot of cash. theme hospital also a great addictive game that would fit perfectly for the ipad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH2cwkBOU4I

Yeah I remember Theme Hospital. These kind of game would be awesome on the iPad, perfect for a touch interface.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.