Any rumors on the intel emac?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Wellander, Mar 24, 2006.

1. macrumors regular

Hi,
    I am just wondering if there any rumours about an intel based chip emac in the works?
    I work in a school type enviroment where we still can get the emacs but I want to know if it will ever be avaible in the intel form?
    Any ideas will be good.
    Thanks.

2. macrumors 65816

topgunn

I think the eMac is gone forever. It will be missed.

3. macrumors 68000

student_trap

id have to say no, you'd have to look at the mini for your intel needs

4. macrumors 68000

technicolor

They still sell them in the education stores.

But yeah I doubt they go intel.

5. macrumors 68000

student_trap

really, i can't seem to find them

maybe they're just in the US store?

6. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

They would be more likely roll out a minimalist iMac than refresh the eMac. CRTs are liabilities now that governments are getting serious about lead. They could pop in a lesser Yonah, drop the ATI graphics, and so on to bring the price down.
    They only offer them to the institutions, not individuals.

7. macrumors 6502a

I have always found this weird, but the latest emacs are never shown for sale or advertised.

They are the standard iMac G5, but with no camera, no CD-ROM and slower processors.

I'm guessing they are made to special order.

8. macrumors 68000

student_trap

thanks for clearing that up:)

9. macrumors demi-god

Spanky Deluxe

Those aren't eMacs though, they are the Educational models of the iMac G5 and I think this is they way they're going to go in the future for Edu models. It'll take a while but they'll probably release Intel iMacs without the optical drive or inbuilt isight but with a core duo 1.66Ghz, maybe a smaller hard drive. I reckon they'll keep the ATI graphics though. Why do I say that? Well The isight, optical drive, hard drive and processor are all modular and can be unplugged. The processor is in a socket so no motherboard redesign would be required to put in a lesser chip. Apple could save significantly on production costs by using what they already have available and simply not attatch the more expensive parts.

10. macrumors 68000

student_trap

any way you can get these without being a school, could you perhaps buy them through a school?

11. macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

The eMac is dead

12. macrumors 6502

Apple is persistent in only allowing educational institutions to order machines like those described above. However, when institutions upgrade hardware, they usually will auction off old stock into the public.

My guess on the Intel "eMac" is that Apple won't announce it, but simply begin to list it to those looking into large-scale educational purchases.

13. macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

AFAIK

the eMac was built in logistical response to Apples departure from CRT to LCDs in their iMacs.

When the iMac was first made, I am sure Apple bought TONS AND TONS of CRTs, stored them in warehouses and used them up until the iMac went LCD.

Then, as you would imagine, Apple still had TONS AND TONS of CRTs lying around. And since you cant sell those to anyone anyone, why not make a new el-cheapo CRT using iMac clone?

Hence the eMac.

Its life is/was over when Apple ran out of CRTs to use.

/rant

14. macrumors 68000

student_trap

RIP emac, i did quite like it, a friend had it, was very cool

15. macrumors 65816

topgunn

Your haikus need work.

16. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Except that the eMac and G3 iMac don't use the same size CRT...

17. macrumors 68000

student_trap

indeed, my japanese has never been that good

18. macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Nope. First of all the CRTs in iMacs were 15" and in the eMac 17", so it's not that Apple had tons lying around from the iMac CRT days. Second of all when the LCD iMacs were introduced LCDs were still way to expensive to put into a sub $1000 computer, so Apple added a new computer to sell to function over form customers who would rather get the same computer with a big CRT than a neat looking computer with a small LCD.

19. macrumors G4

Chundles

Except the G3 iMac was 15" and the eMac is 17". And they do still make the eMac, it's just gone back to being educational institution purchase only. My Uni just replaced a bunch of their old, old, oooolllld G3 iMacs with a stack of shiny new eMacs. I tell ya, they're taking over the world, most of the offices have an eMac in them and the higher up guys have G5 iMacs. It's good to see some change.

I hope they keep it there, it's a great educational option, tough, big enough to not have to tie down and simple to upgrade.

20. macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I also like the idea that Apple is so bad at managing its supply chain that they still have to try to get rid of supplies they overpurchased more than 4 years ago.

21. macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

/slinks away in disgrace

22. macrumors G4

Lord Blackadder

The eMac was Apple's low-cost consumer computer, anchoring the bottom-end of the Mac line. With the appearance of the Mini, it became redundant. There really isn't a point to keep selling it or updating it. Still, they were arguably a better value than the Mini due to their AIO configuration, 3.5" hard drives and (in the last iteration) much better video hardware.

RIP eMac, the last CRT compy by Apple.

23. macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I do hope that Apple takes the advice of a lot of people here and introduces an e-iMac: a 17" or even 15" LCD iMac with integrated graphics, no iSight, etc. as Spanky suggested. For the current market, a core solo 15" version could be sold for $799 and maybe even a 1.66 core duo 17" for $999.

24. macrumors G4

Lord Blackadder

I doubt it, but if they did it would just be a stripped down 17" iMac for under $1000. That would be far to close top the Mac Mini line though - you're more likely to see a "super Mini" (something like a much smaller, stripped-down PowerMac) than a cheaper iMac-like all-in-one.

25. macrumors 6502

What about the Mac Mini? Seems like the "e-iMac" would conflict too much with the mini's target audience. I can't imagine the e-iMac being a successful product. That's why the edu iMac will most likely stay edu-only.