Any Rumors On what's New Hardware/Software On WWDC?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by G-Funk, May 4, 2005.

1. G-Funk macrumors regular

G-Funk

Just wondering if any of you may have news or Rumors of what is expected on this years WWDC ? Please share them with us !

2. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

3. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

4. iGary Guest

iGary

30-inch iBook Dual G5 Quad with 256MB of VRAM and a 400GB 10,000 RPM HDD.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

PowerMac G7s. They can't use G6 because of the car.

6. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Two button scroll mouse - but completely different than anything available today.

7. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Another thread claims s-video streaming Airport Express...

8. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

...But S-Video can't do Hi-Def. Doesn't seem in line with the year of HD and all.

9. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

I wonder if the keynote will be streamed live in h.264.

10. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Whoa. That would be impressive but I dont think so. :p

11. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

well if qt7 is out by then (for windows), im pretty sure it will be available as an h.264 stream.

i cant see it being live tho; wwdc is a developers event, not a consumer event, so they never stream it live, do they?

12. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Not anymore....plus if they did and unencrypted wireless people might capture it.

13. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Actually it would be best for Apple to stream the keynote in H.264 since it'll give users much better quality while lowering the bandwidth requirements (and total bandwidth).

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I also wish that Apple would stream Keynotes live. It seems that Steve has decided against the practice. MWSF would have been the most likely, but they didn't.
    :(

15. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

a new 'scroll pad' mouse
    and maybe airport stuff as well

credibility=0, but hey, it'd be cool :D

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But people without a G5 will have trouble seeing it. This means anyone with a Mac laptop. :(

17. admanimal macrumors 68040

Only if they stream a HD version of it (not likely). H.264 encoded video can be played back perfectly smoothly on a G4 as long as the resolution isn't super high. Remember, there are plans to use H.264 on video that will be played back on cell phones. Cell phones definitely do not have a G5-class processor.

18. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

Please remember that h.264 does not have to be HD. It is a scaleable codec. I believe that Apple with make a non-HD stream available after the keynote. With the lower bandwidth requirements you should have fewer buffer issues.

Hickman

19. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

Great minds think alike. ;)

Hickman

20. RJP31484 macrumors regular

I think we will definitely see an update to the portables in June... wether it be totally new iBooks, or dual core powerbooks... somehting has to happen to our beloved books or theyre gonna seem like toys compared to products costing hundreds less.

21. Eastend macrumors 6502

I'll see your June and raise it to Past the end of July for PowerBooks anyway. Probably later then July, more like Sept or Oct, hey but it's only guessing right? The real question is, will it be a major update or a 5 or 10% speed boost? If it is the later can they do another price decrease?

Brian

22. Quark macrumors regular

iMac HD

Wouldn't be surprised to see the iMac HD and of course the PowerBook HD.

This is the year of HD.

Take care,
    Quark

23. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

PowerBooks

New Powerbooks with :

- Freescale e700 (64-bit) Dual core @ 15W
    - 1.5GHz
    - Super duper drive ( DL et. all )
    - Radeon X800 mobility
    - 100GB Hard Disc

And built in light saber...( Star Wars Edition ). :eek: :D :p

Max.

24. RJP31484 macrumors regular

Hey, as long as I get SOMETHING for waiting to buy a powerbook till September, ill be happy.

25. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Express AV, JamBox, Open GL 2, Widgets, iPod Software & Alicia Keys

Airport Express AV would be cool for streaming photo slideshows with music to a television. It may also do video but I would not hold my breath for HD. Very few people in Apple's market have plasma displays. Anyway, other than music videos and film trailers there is very little legitimate video out there so unless iTunes for Movies is also introduced there is no reason to rush to market something like this.

My money is on the infamous 'Asteroid' peripheral being introduced. Apple owns the trademark to the name Jam Box so maybe that is what they will call it. For those who do not know, this product is an analogue to digital breakout box for audio capture and output. GarageBand users could plug microphones and electric guitars into this device and record their sessions on the computer. In my opinion it will definately be a FireWire device since USB would need a seperate power supply to power microphones and FireWire can do more channels in HD audio.

Since this is a Developer's Conference I expect a lot of talk about OS X 10.4 but no introduction of OS X 10.5 yet; too soon for that. Maybe Apple will preview Open GL 2.0 for OS X which is rumoured to be introduced in OS X 10.4.4 or later. I am sure that a lot of time will be spent talking about widgets and encouriging shareware authors to make more of them.

As for the iPod, it would be great to see Apple make it possible for developers to write software for it. By now there are propably more active iPods than Palms in the world and there are a lot of applications that could be usefull in it. Something I personally wish for is a timer and more games.

Anyway, it will be hard to top the last Mac-show where iPod Shuffle and Mac Mini were introduced. Perhaps they should call Alicia Keys back for another live performance.