Any Saab owners out there?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by _bnkr612, Sep 23, 2005.

1. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

I was just curious if there were any Saab owners out there.

I was interested in the Saab 93 and I wanted to read some opinions owners/anyone had about them.

I am thinking of dumping my Jeep and getting a nice 4 cyl. vehicle with some performance.

I have no interest in Asian-market autos.

Cheers.

2. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Blasphemy!

J/K :)

My wife is driving my Jeep right now because she has the shorter distance to drive to work. I'm stuck with the Mazda3 that -she- wanted.. bleh. It's -okay-, I guess.. but, bleh.

3. _bnkr612 thread starter macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

I have owned 4 Jeeps, I don't want to do it.

I don't see fuel prices favoring larger engines anytime soon.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

We have an 86 Saab with well over 300,000 miles on it.

Very reliable automobiles, but when something does need repairing...ouch.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

We just bought a SAAB 93 Arc Convertible - and we love it. Although my wife drives it to work, I only get it on the weekends. :(

D

6. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

There's a 2001 Saab 9-3 Aero Convertible in our family. Very nice car and very quick too.

Had the occasional problem with it but no more than you would expect from any car. Hold their value too.

The current, curvy Saab 9-3 is a lovely car but bare in mind it's roots are found across the board of the General Motors range.

They are nice alternative cars to Beemers. Mercs etc...

7. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

I have both a 1993 Saab 9000 CDE with over 150k and my "new" 2001 Saab 9-3 with about 65k (25 of those in the past year alone). Excellent cars, great gas milage (up to 35 on the highway with the stick shift) and decent performance. My parents also own 5 of their own (scattered throughout the country).

BEN

8. _bnkr612 thread starter macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

I picked up a Gun-Metal Gray 2001 Saab 9-3.

So choice. So quick. So quirky.

9. Toreador93 macrumors regular

I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS THREAD!

I have a 1999 SAAB 9-5! While this is the problem year (at least for the 4-cylinders), it's been running fine after a few extended warranty services. It's a pretty easy car to modify; I'm planning on chipping it or upgrading suspension as soon as I save enough money.

If I could have afforded it, I would've went with the hatchback-style 9-3 Viggen. That thing hauls for having only 230hp and FWD. If you search, you can find some Viggens that'll at least beat a camero.

Either way, you'll amaze your friends with all the quirks of this car. Everyone gets a kick out of the placement of the ignition (I believe it's there for safety. Regular placement of keys can injure your knee in an accident). Oh, and it's designed to withstand accidents with moose.

You should spend some time at Saab Central. Lots of good information there.

10. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

You and the poster are both from Michigan, you two should hook up for a chat ;) .

I looked at them, and in the end decided to buy a Passat (in 2000). I couldn't be more happy with my choice. I have had 120k mostly trouble free miles, and get great gas milage, and with a chip I am quite happy with the power of the 1.8t. I also used to work at a VW dealership in school, so the service / parts connectionns were the main reason I chose the VW.

If the tables were turned and I had worked at a Saab dealership, I would have ended up with a 900 or later 9-3.

The 9-5 is a great car, I just wish GM left Saab alone to design and build cars on their own, and just gave them money to help out ;) .

[​IMG]

11. Toreador93 macrumors regular

I was actually debating between the 9-5 and the Passat. I was a member of a couple VW forums for a long time before I actually made my decision. Both are very nice cars. I think my deciding factor was the fact that my dad had a Saab 900, and the larger displacement. I do believe the Passat is better put together than my Saab, though.

And I agree with you 110% about GM keeping their grubby mits off my SAAB! And to think, Ford would've bought them if they put their bid in a week or so earlier. Maybe with GM going down the tube, Ford will realize their mistake and offer to take Saab off GM's hands.
    *here's to hoping*

And _bnkr612, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. If you're looking for a test drive, there are two Saab dealerships not too far away. I would recommend Saab of Troy, as they're the biggest Saab dealership for probably 100s of miles. And then you can hop across the driveway to Jaguar of Troy :D