Any scratch the rear camera lens on there iPhone 4 yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jp700p, Aug 11, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

Since day 1, I have put a piece of invisible shield over the rear lens to protect it from scratching. However, when taking pictures the pics aren't as sharp and in focused as not having it on. But i'm always afraid it will scratch.

2. macrumors member

Scratches on the "lens" usually don't affect picture quality..

3. macrumors 6502a

I've been looking for a rear protector that covers the lense, I like the camera a lot and would like a way to protect it, any ideas?

Tried a small piece of a crystal protector, wouldn't adhere properly, tried scotch tape but I think it's not totally clear.

Any suggestions are welcome.

4. macrumors newbie

I installed an invisible shield on June 25, the day after I got my nw iPhone 4. Several days later, I was surprised to see a scratch across the middle of the lens on the camera. I couldn't figure out how it happened, but was bummed to see it on my new, shiny device. To this day though, it has not affected one picture and I only remembered it because of this post. I understand the need to protect it, but I honestly can't even tell it's there, and I take a TON of pictures and am VERY picky! Hope that helps!

5. macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

So far, there are no scratches at all on mine.

6. macrumors 6502a

putting something that is not optically clear over optical glass = FAIL

You are being counter productive. You wanted to avoid scratches because it will affect the clarity of the camera, but you've already done more to degrade the quality than any light scratch ever would do.

Just buy a case that lifts the back when its on a surface and that should be more than enough to avoid most scratches

7. macrumors regular

Hold it this way not that way :)

8. macrumors 601

Vegastouch

I am using Sp's for my SS Vibrant that are called Realook and you get 2 SP's plus 2 Camera lens protectors. I do not know if they make them for the iPhone but you should check it out. They are on ebay and Amazon.

9. macrumors newbie

In the shadow of antennagate!!

I tried to take a picture last night and every photo looked like glamour shots!!

I use my camera like a normal human, no rough stuff. I found out last night that the lens is very slightly mounted above the back. Guess what apple...that means it's always resting on the lens.

I've bought over 20k in apple products in the last 20 years and always praise their design and ease of use.

Look at my photo...Any thoughts? Can I take this back? Notice how the rest of the back is incredibly smooth.

[​IMG]

10. macrumors 6502a

On mine, the metal rim around the camera glass is mounted slightly above the back, but the plastic rim of the back is also slightly above the glass back. For the most part, I'm sure yours is probably similar if not the same, and the camera glass is raised slightly above the plane when the phone is resting on its back.

-C

11. macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Do this: Take saran wrap and put a few layers over the lens. Keep doing it, comparing how bad it looks from the back to how bad your pictures look. After your lens is COMPLETELY white because of the saran wrap (like it's bunched up), your photos should only look hazy and unfocused. Now you realize that the condition of the lens doesn't really matter. ;)

12. macrumors newbie

I had a giant scratch on my lens. (well the glass over the lens) I took it to the apple store and they replaced it for free.

13. macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I have a minor scratch across my lense. Hair line. Hardly even noticeable. Scratches on a lense will not effect picture quality at all.

14. macrumors regular

OP's Title: its 'their' and not 'there'. This just bugs me so had to point out.

15. macrumors 6502a

What did they replace, the phone or just the lens? My camera lens is horribly scratched up. I carry my iPhone naked in my pocket and I've also got lots of scratches all over the back, including one gouge that I can catch my fingernail in if I glide it across the scratch.

I thought they were supposedly using some kind of magical super-hard glass, but that certainly doesn't seem to be the case. I think I would be happier if they just used a plastic back on this thing.