Any Skype Users Here?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cslewis, Mar 21, 2006.

1. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

I just downloaded it. Wow. I think my AIM days are over.

Anyone else with me?

2. GhostFace macrumors member

It is cool, I talk to my bubby in Germany all the time.

3. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

I'm a Skype user, but I have to stay with AIM/iChat at least partially for the moment because there's no video support for Mac yet....but they say they are working on it :) For me, 99.99999% of the time I'm using skype, I'm talking to my best friend, who lives in Nova Scotia. It's so awesome to be able to talk to her for free even though she's 1500+ miles away.

4. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

hate to say it, but skype sucks. slow, glitchy, drops out every once and a while. low quality as well.

gizmo is the way to go

5. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I have skype installed but I hardly use it.
    I don't like the phone IRL, so I don't like skype because it's like a phone.

Also, I type way loudly on my PowerBook, so all the other person hears is clickclickclick

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That almost sounds as if you have money in gizmo. It's completely different than my experience with Skype.

7. lanray macrumors regular

My wife uses Skype to talk with folks in Africa and Spain, as well as connecting to landlines here in the states. No problems, really, she says.

8. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Good experiences here, with Skype. South America - States

9. jakochampolska macrumors 6502

i use it
    its really nice to talk to people in europe without paying a load of money..
    and to waste time, me and my friend phone random people and if they pick up we act like we are drunk. hahah its great fun.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Was that you? j/k

I wonder what happens when you happen to randomly call someone whose number is a Skype In account and it connects to them with Skype.

11. jakochampolska macrumors 6502

hey if you ever get a call with someone screaming the word COPENHAGAN or saying 'i must get the vodka outta of the oven' repeatively, then you know its me. hahaha

12. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

haha. no, but i wish i did. i did some over the net ADR recording for a video project of mine. i was planning on using skype and wiretap pro to record, but the audio would drop out every 3 sec or so for 1/2 a sec, so no go with skype. then i tried gizmo, with better quality, no dropouts, and built in recording. i was sold.

13. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

Does it cost anything to, say, connect to someone in japan or europe, or america or australia and do prank em? I rang someone randomly once, but only talked to em for about 10 seconds because i thought it might be costing. How does it charge you? is it through the phone bill, or do u need to put a credit card in or something. ??

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I guess I'm lucky. I just talk on it. :)

I'm particularly interested in using Skype Out when I'm out of the country, though it would even be convenient in the country.

15. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

I have it, but none of my friends do and so I never get on.

16. jakochampolska macrumors 6502

it doesnt cost anything
    you never have to give them your credit card or anything

17. mkaake macrumors 65816

Skype works great for me, but with my slower DSL connection (384k), if I start doing other online activities while I talk, it can start to lower the quality and have a much longer lag in the conversation, as well as the occasional drop.

But, if I don't, or I keep it to one page or so, it's more clear than using the phone for sure.

18. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I will soon be a user.....i was looking at it for awhile now but i think i will give it a try.

Bless

19. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

Can someone shed a little light in this whole skype thing for me. I would be interested but how does it work what fees are charged what kind of equipment do I need to use it? I'm not asking for an essay just quick short answers. Thanks

20. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

All about Skype

21. mkaake macrumors 65816

quick?

well, computer to computer is free, no charge, no need to set anything up, other than to pick a user name and password.

you need a computer with a microphone and speakers, and that's it.

If you want to call from your computer to a phone, you need to buy skypeout minutes, which is a by the minute fee (last I checked around 2.2 cents/minute).

If you want to have people on a phone be able to dial your computer (as a regular phone line, up to 10 if memory serves, with different area codes), you buy skypein, which last time I checked was about 15 bucks for 3 months.

22. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

Thanks for the Link.
    Thanks for the clarification, that helped quite a bit.

23. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

Cool, thanks.

24. rumbletum macrumors regular

I use Skype regularly, I'm in the UK, my wife's often in China, so I use it to call her, very rarely have any problems with it.