Any Software to prevent Others access into my folder???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by white, Jun 9, 2003.

1. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Define "others", do you mean other uses using your Mac? or access on the network?

2. Mac til death macrumors regular

3. white thread starter macrumors newbie

My Imac is share by company and anyone can use it but i do have some private document so i wanna set a password to the folder so that none can access.

i do not want to create another user coz system will lag and take up space as i got no time to keep track what others doin with.

Thanks

4. white thread starter macrumors newbie

They still can see the content in the folder i want to set a password for it

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

In your case you can't use the permissions since there is one user account. I guess you should consider PGP or other software that would lock/encrypt a disk or a file. www.macworld.com had reviews of some software, do a search there.

If the machine is used by a company, you might want to create another account that YOU use when you want to keep files private.

6. szark macrumors 68030

szark

You could also make an encrypted disk image using Disk Copy and place your folders/files in there.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Encrypted DMG is the way to go. BTW I haven't noticed any performance hit on my computer and I have 3 users on it.

8. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Are you using OSX? If there is 2 users or more, other people cannot even look inside your folders. You won't take a performance hit in creating another user - just make sure you have enough HD space. OSX grinds with less that 1GB free and a new user will add ~200MB.

9. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

how is it possible a new user uses so many space ? the config files will only be created once he run s the apps . i don t see where these 200 mb will be used ? personal system library ?

10. DaveGee macrumors 6502a

Adding users doesn't cause any lag anyone telling you different doesn't know OS X... as far as 'take up space' goes... that too very little in the drive sizes on todays systems.

Dave

P.S. I've got systems at my place of work with 20+ different accounts. No harm no foul and once we tie Mac OS X into the ActiveDirectory system those Macs will have THOUSANDS of accounts.