Any Speculation of when an 80GB iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by dlastmango, Nov 9, 2005.

1. dlastmango macrumors 6502

this is what i have been holding out for and i thought i might come with the release of 5G iPods... i dont need that much space for music but to transfer Video projects from work to home...oh yeah...and some music as well..
    chris

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

MacWorld SF 2006 is always the surest bet. I think we'll see a new 80GB iPod.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You see? You're not alone, my friend...

But sooner or later, someone will come along and say:

'80gb? WTF? Who could possibly need all that space? I certainly wouldn't. Anybody who needs this must be insane — who the hell needs that many songs?'

But I'm hoping to get a new iPod in 2006 and fingers crossed, it will be an 80gb model — enough for my entire music collection plus a little spare to carry some work around on.

In 10-15 years time, we'll laugh at the puny capacity of our 80gb iPods.

4. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Ohhh, imagine a Beowulf cluster of 80GB iPods. :D

6. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Since no one is willing to hasten Blue's forecast

80gb? WTF? Who could possibly need all that space? I certainly wouldn't. Anybody who needs this must be insane — who the hell needs that many songs?:D

Actually, I am torn - I really want to get one now and can't foresee a need for 80GB before the 7G is released (I plan on replacing every other generation), but my wife wants me to save $50 a month before I get one. That puts me just past Christmas, tempting me to wait until MWSF to see if it is upped.

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I, for one, look forward to an 80GB iPod, since I can't fit my current 59GB iTunes collection on my 60GB (55.8GB capacity) iPod.

8. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Toshiba makes the drives already so I would imagine it is just a matter of time. MWSF sounds reasonable. Perhaps Apple couldn't buy the drives cheap enough from Toshiba to keep the $299/$399 price points for 40/80 GB 5th Gen. iPods when they were initially released.

I was thinking that if I upgrade my iPod to a 5th gen that I would wait until they went to 40/80 GB capacities. I'm assuming they'd keep the same price points. I was leaning towards getting the highest capacity but I just stopped in the local Apple Store yesterday to pick up a keyboard and checked out the new iPods. The 30 GB is so nice and thin compared to the 60 GB. The 60 GB isn't huge by any means - it is about the same thickness as my 4G 20 GB. I think the 5G 60 GB is actually 1 mm thinner or something.

The thinness of the single-platter microdrive iPods is amazing though. Maybe I'll wait for a thin 40 GB and upgrade then. My iTunes library is about 23 GiB at the moment, adding in all my pictures and a few videos or whatnot for novelty's sake and I'd still have a good amount of room for transporting data. Remember 40 GB = ~37GiB.

9. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Why would anyone want 80 gigs?!?!?!?!?

I am waiting to break the 100GB mark! :D

Hopefully now that you can play video on iPods people will stop complaining about people who want more capacity. I for one decided earlier this year that I would not upgrade my long over-ful 30GB until capacities reach at least 80GB...

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i just hope they aren't made out of the same materials at the current ones...

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

i can see a 80gb in the 6g model or perhaps the 5g(unlike but i bet thye could do it and make it smaller then the old 60gb model it was a BRICK)

i love having al my music on the go but if i had 60gbs+ would i reall need all those songs(but it is nice to have all you music(

12. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Could it be possible to replace the current 60gb drives with the already being manufactured 80gb ones? I smell a mod....

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Even if they go 80GB next week, I'm not biting 'til 100GB. I get more haphazard performance from a full iPod compared to one with about 10% free. It doesn't make sense, but that's just what I find. :(