any (stage) actors/actresses?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wmmk, Jan 25, 2007.

1. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone here acts...
    I never really cared about shows much, but always ran the soundboard, until I heard that this year's school play was Fiddler on the Roof. As a Jewish kid with a good Yiddish accent, I felt sort of an obligation to try out for the lead role of Tevye, mostly just as an experiment. Anyway, I got called back after my first audition (total surprise), and callbacks were today. Cast to be posted at the end of the day tomorrow. I'm so stoked to see what part I got.

Anyway, what shows have you been in? Any tips for coping with not getting a lead/memerizing lines/singing?
    Cheers,
    wmmk

2. macmama macrumors regular

macmama

Good luck, wmmk! I'm not a stage actor, but I've directed this play as a musical director. Tevye's got about 50 pages of dialogue in that show... it's a beast! But a great role, in a great show.

If it doesn't work out for you, try not to despair. Sounds like this is your first time out at an audition, and especially if this is a school production, often there are other factors at work with casting (such as seniority, kids' ability to fit in play commitments with schoolwork, etc.) so it's not a kiss of death if you don't receive the big part this year. I highly recommend you participate in the show even if you get a smaller part, because it will be a fantastic experience!

3. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

wmmk

hey, thanks for the kind words. I got Lazar Wolf. I know I should be happy I got a part with actual lines, but I'm honestly bummed. The kid who got the lead is one of my best friends and is a really good actor. I suppose me just waltzing in and getting Tevye would be like him joining the debate team and getting the #1 spot or becoming chair of our High School's Young Democrats Organization next year.

Well, it's been a few hours since I started writing this post (dinner, going to Synagogue, etc. in between, I'm that that thoughtful of a poster:p ), and I feel fairly cooled off. I suppose I really am lucky to have gotten any non ensemble role in my first show...