Any Star Trek fans?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Shaun.P, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Jul 14, 2003
    Omicron Persei 8
    Just wondering if there any Mac / Star Trek fans in this forum? :p

I grew up watching TNG (I'm not old enough for TOS :cool: ) and then I started watching Voyager and Deep Space Nine. I like all of the series (Enterprise, and the Original series excluded) in different ways. TNG is just classic Trek, and DS9 offers fantastic story and character development and Voyager is a bit like TNG, only modernised.

I have all of Voyager and DS9 on VHS, bought at a time when they cost around £13 each! Now you can pick them up for around 65p each!!!

My favourite movie is First Contact along with The Voyage Home. My favourite Captain is Janeway and my favourite villain is Weyoun or Gul Dukat.

Perhaps continue this thread my stating how you became interested in Star Trek. Have you met anyone from the series? What are your opinions of the shows? Do you think Star Trek will come back soon?
  2. Chuckles macrumors member

Jan 25, 2006
    I'm a little too obsessed with Star Trek. I like pretty much every TV series they've done so far. TNG, Voyager, and Enterprise are my favorites. Can't wait to see what they're brewing up as I type this. As far as movies go, there's some really lame Star Trek movies out. First Contact is my favorite. The Voyage Home comes in second.
  3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    On a computer centric forum...? No, I don't think so... :p

More of a Farscape fan myself... ;)

Not many oportunities to watch Star Trek on Norwegian TV, either... :(
  4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    I've been known to dabble. Like you FearFactor I'm too young to have seen the original series when it first aired, so my first 'new' Star Trek series was The Next Generation.

Of all the series, I'd say Deep Space Nine was my favourite. Voyager I wasn't too keen on (it was a promising premise which didn't fulfill its potential in my mind) and as for Enterprise... I wouldn't go out of my way to watch that.

Personally, I'm much more of a Doctor Who fan... :cool:
  5. kretzy macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    I'm a HUGE Star Trek fan - I've seen every episode of TNG, DS9 and Voyager. I started watching it when I was about 13. My aunty introduced me to it, when I was staying at her place once, and she had First Contact - which is still my favourite of the movies.

I bought the entire Voyager series on DVD a while ago and my aunty has bought all of TNG. So we watched all of them and then swapped series. I'll probably start getting some DS9 box sets soon. (I love being on holidays)

TNG is good, but at times pretty cheesy and no where near as modern as DS9 and Voyager. I do really like the characters in this series though - particularly Data.

DS9 had the most intriguing/intersting plot lines - I like how the whole show was generally more connected rather than just individual episodes. It gave a good insight into the more political aspects of things.

I love Voyager for its modernness. Janeway is the best captain, and I think Seven of Nine is my favourite ST character ever. Some of her one-liners had me in stitches. My fav baddies were the Borg (though the Dominion/Cardiassians came close), and you got to see plenty of them in Voyager.

TOS - way before my time, have seen a few eps though - good for a laugh.

Enterprise - I HATE IT, I HATE IT, I HATE IT! I was so excited when it came out, but was completely disappointed. :( The concept is interesting, but the rest of it is SO crap. The worst acting I've EVER seen, the characters are really gung ho and full of righteousness (ugh!) and the whole thing is just LAME. Time to ax it and come up with something new.

Well that's my little Star Trek rant - I'll go and hide somewhere now, to avoid the screams of "geek". :eek:
  6. David L. macrumors newbie

Jan 26, 2006
    me! StarTrek Voyager rulez. Specially season5 [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Star Trek is nearly as good as Cameron-Movies.

Ah, did you know that the DS9 - main theme by Dennis McCarthy was stolen from an Silvestri-Scoring?
    Just watch "Flight Of The Navigator"! Shocking! [​IMG][​IMG]
  7. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2003
    I too am a big fan. I'm fortunate enough to live near the Pasadena Convention Center in CA. They have a very large Sci-Fi convention every year, usually around March. Because many of the Star Trek actors live nearby a bunch of them usually show up. You can meet the actors, get autographs (you usually have to pay for them), hear exclusive info on upcoming Star Trek movies or other projects, ect. I plan to go again this year.

My only complaint is that it gets more expensive every year. There used to be small local Star Trek conventions a few times a year at local hotels and city auditoriums and they cost a few dollars to get in. Now it's big business and expensive.
  8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I used to pay $16 at the Star Trek Conventions in Philadelphia at the Hershey Hotel, which was where Legionnaires' Disease was discovered. They would always have two Star Trek-related actors and sometimes, a third. As much as I liked Star Trek at the time, I usually went to buy anime.

TNG started out really good, but most people thought it focused too much on science. They changed that to more violence and I pretty much stopped watching it when DS9 came along. Then, Voyager and I was watching a lot of Star Trek a week because all three were being shown on different channels.

I must say that the original series had its moments and so did Enterprise but they seemed without direction. "We're zooming into the unknown and we don't have a book, so we're making it up as we go along." You think that I'm talking about Star Fleet but I'm talking about the producers. :D
  9. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
  10. ejb190 macrumors 65816

Used to be. I still have a lot of my Star Trek books, but I guess I was just ready for something different. Enterprise was just getting good when they took it off the air. The first season was pretty weak.
  11. TEG macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    I've always loved Star Trek. And although I felt Nemesis was a bit lacking (especially with a 3.5 hour movie cut to 2), I still have faith that the shows and movies will return. I feel the reason for canceling Enterprise was two fold; 1) To prevent any sort of disruption or legal battles over Star Trek as Viacom and CBS (And Paramount Television) split. 2) To force Rick Berman to spin his gears until his contract expires in 2007, had they allowed Enterprise to continue, into 2007, his contract would have been automatically extended. They thought Season 4 was a good stopping point.

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

Jan 14, 2002
    totally cool
    geri ryan as "seven of nine" was my number one reason for watching voyager.. *shivers*
  13. BearRanger macrumors member

May 23, 2005
    Deep in the Woods
    I remember watching the original series with my brother. As a 4 year old. When the Enterprise rushed across the screen in the opening credits we'd always duck below the TV screen, thinking it was going to hit us. :p

DS9 is by far my favorite. Excellent character driven stories. It's a shame Enterprise was cancelled just as it was getting good. You could see lots of elements of the original series starting to develop.

I never got into Voyager much. It had several good episodes, but I just can't forgive them for turning the big bad Borg into Next Generation Ferengi.

Anyone remember Blake's 7? Now that was an interesting show.
  14. kretzy macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    What do you mean? I loved the exposition of the Borg in Voyager. They are much more like the Borg in First Contact. Originally, the Borg were nothing more than the token "bad guys" - the whole collective mentality and assimilation didn't really begin until First Contact, and it was then carried into Voyager. By "originally" I mean when they first appeared in TNG. I loved the Ferengi in DS9 by the way - I want the rules of acquisition. :D
  15. BearRanger macrumors member

May 23, 2005
    Deep in the Woods
    No, when they first appeared in Next Generation the Borg collective was clearly established. Assimilation was established in their second appearance--otherwise they couldn't have turned Picard into Locutus. One Borg cube carved up the whole Federation fleet, which established the nature of the Borg pretty well. First Contact only introduced the Borg Queen and a hierarchy. Voyager weakened them to the point that Borg ships and Federation ships were nearly equal, and humanized them a bit too much. Nothing wrong with that, and you could even argue that it's all Picard's fault. I just didn't care for it.

Now, I did like species 8472.

I agree completely on the Ferengi. DS9 completely redeemed them. I can't even watch the Next Generation episode "The Last Outpost" without puking. ;)
  16. bobscliff macrumors regular

Jul 25, 2005
    Princeton, NJ
    Not a huge fan, but i do watch some TNG every once in a while, maybe just because Jean Luc Picard is some kind of awesome. My exgirlfriend was a major Trekkie (even knew some klingon) so it kind of rubbed off on me.