Any stoners???... should it be legalized.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RationalDreamer, Jan 11, 2005.

1. RationalDreamer macrumors newbie

Just curious.

Do you indulge in the greatness that is Marijuana smoke>???

I for one do not have 2 bongs and three glass pipes for nothing. :D

I think it should be legalized. What's your call on it?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Certainly decriminalised... the Amsterdam model seems also to work well.

Personally, have cut down a great deal: was recently diagnosed with minor circulatory problems.

3. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Yeah, I'm all for public stoning but sorry BV, I don't think women should be allowed to join in, it'll get out of hand and the next thing you know we'll have a riot going down. I just want a peaceful justice system.

I think people should recycle their stones too, maybe build a rockery or something useful. maybe grow a few herbs for personal use. :rolleyes:

4. iGav macrumors G3

I don't smoke so it doesn't affect me, but I'd be up for decriminalising it. As Blue has said, Amsterdam seem to manage it okay.

What we need in the UK though is a sensible, intelligent and well informed debate about the topic, as opposed to the usual sensationalist tripe put forward by out of touch MP's, Media, Police and Teachers.

But I'd also like to see them come down harder on hard drugs and hard drug users though. They're a pain in everyones arse.

5. mpw Guest

I'd legalize it but then have proper control and penalty systems in place for those that abuse it and other illegal (and legal) drugs. I'd also be happy to see it taxed at about 95%.

6. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I guess I'd be in favor of legalization if it were done right, but I'm not going to get all preachy one way or the other over this issue.

Haven't touched (or smoked, injested, or otherwise been under the influence of) an illegal substance in at least 7 years. My late teens and early twenties were spent with a Tokemaster effectively grafted to my hand. Good times, good times...wish I remembered them better:rolleyes:. If there was 15 minutes in there where I wasn't under the influence of marijuana, it was probably while I was sleeping off the effects from the night before!
    While I agree that, for a small percentage of folks, pot does act as a gateway drug to harder things, I wouldn't be completely opposed to decriminalization. As with anything good that can be abused, there are going to be people who cannot use responsibly.
    In my life, I've known far more people who couldn't handle alcohol or presription drugs, than had a problem with pot or had it lead to a more dangerous addiction.

7. Badradio macrumors 6502

I'm all for decriminalising it for personal use at home, but I'm getting fed up walking through clouds of weed smoke in town: knocks me sick.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

By making it legal it will save money for govt in many ways. 1st makes it harder for minors to obtain. 2nd no more wasting time on it by all the different law enforcement agencies, courts,judges,paper,jails, etc. What would these guys do then look for real criminals?

Then this shuts down or cuts down dealers another good thing.
    Makes it harder for minors to obtain because there are less dealers now for them to obtain it from.

Tax money, a part could go towards education other parts towards the political correct govt institute of the time.

As it stands now the dealers are happy, the govt has another excuse to soak us the Tax payer for countless unending dollars in the evergrowing govt beauracracy. anyone say prohibition? Same thing treat it like you do alcohol and get over it and move on. Alcohol is much worse so whats the big deal other then political correctness? Govt is allways fond of pissing off dollars.

On a side note our local govt just spent $170,000 to birth control deer instead of getting rid of them the old fashion way. Govt is fond of pissing off dollars. imagine the waste in dollars chasing weed????Billions?

9. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

10. mactropy macrumors member

mactropy

legalize it. would get rid of a major chunk of organized drug crime at the same time!

11. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

I would also like to see this in the U.S. Unfortunately, the moral do-gooders, joyless health nazis (aka the we-know-what's-good-for-you group), religious extremists, and anyone else with a selfish agenda would not have have this. :(

BTW, I don't smoke the funny green stuff, but I'm all for spitting in the arrogant faces of the above mentioned do-gooder groups. :p

12. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

I think it's rediculous that the UN forces any country in the UN to criminalise marijuana, and it all started as a way to arrest mexicans crossing the US border…

13. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Not since I got a job that tests for it. I could probably get around that but I don't want to take that risk.

Legalize it, tax it (it would still be cheaper than $20 a gram I think) and use a portion of that to fund programs for those who have problems with it. Let's face it, people can get addicted to anything.

14. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

twenty bucks a gram?! NEVER I WILL NEVER PAY THAT!!!

sorry...i'm up here in vancouver, and weed is cheaper than potato chips.

15. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yep, i'm a friend of the herb as well. I think in the USA, about 85-90% of people want it decriminalized (not to mention 100% of cops), but from the government's point of view, people are easier to control and more predictable when they can't use psychoactive drugs. So i doubt it'll be decriminalized on a large scale for many years.

In fact, the only people i've ever met who did *not* think it should be legalized were people that had never a) tried it or b) been exposed to the users/culture, so they believe all the BS about it making you violent or dangerous. If they only realized how many people they encounter in daily life that are high... It's currently estimated that 1 in 25 americans use marijuana regularly... next time your cashier at Starbucks has red eyes, think about it :D

16. sgarringer macrumors regular

WTF? 20 bucks a gram. Most places a gram is around $5 or less.

Unless your talking the really good stuff.

17. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Violent or dangerous? No. Stupid, most definitely. Everyone I know who smokes pot is a moron, either as a causal factor or by a pre-existing condition. I've been around it, and I didn't like it then any more than I do now. Plus the thought of sitting in a corner for five hours contemplating my shoelaces just doesn't appeal to me.

Additionally, decriminalizing it won't make a bit of difference. The black market infrastructure is already too well entrenched, as evidenced by the failed so-called war on drugs. If pot is legalized and taxed the same way alcohol and tobacco is, then all you'll end up with is convientent option to walk into your local corner grocery and pick up some at a higher cost. If you can get it for $10 in the store, or for $5 from your dealer who ignores the tax, what are you going to do? Then again, under that premise, legalizing it will just make the already illegal dealers better off, since under the example, they can raise their prices to $8 and get more business both in terms of profit margin and volume.

18. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

So it should be illegal to be "stupid"?

And clearly we've never met. I may not be einstein, but i can hold my own in a conversation.

No one would buy from dealers if you could buy it in shops. Even if dealers cost half the price. Once it were legalized, dealers would stop, period. How many people do you know that sell hand-rolled cigarettes? Or moonshine? Both could be sold for less than half of the price of their store-bought (and highly-taxed) counterparts, but there is no market for either. (admittedly moonshine does still exist in some tiny places, but it's nothing like the prohibition, which is our basis of comparison, since we're currently in a drug prohibition). Your logic doesn't stand up to the real-world examples that we've already seen.

19. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

$20 a gram is for some very high quality stuff. The "sticky icky" referred to in many rap songs.

Middle range is quite a bit cheaper. Hash is pretty darn expensive though.

I guess the prices are pretty exorbitant, but what can you do?

20. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

I also several times a day can be found tokin the cronic.. I am in favour of decriminalization, however not legalization. By decriminalizing it, you give the user the ability to grow their own stash and cut out the dealers which means that the govenrnment is not loosing out on tax money by people buying from dealers.

However, the government is not getting their fingers in the pie, so im afraid that would not work. But my reason for decriminalization is like this. Its a weed that grows naturally. I dont think governments should charge a tax or try and control a weed that grows naturally. It infringes on my rights as a human being. But i guess were all puppets to the man.

And definatly, look at the culture. I got to a local cafe that is herb friendly and for the most part myself and the patrons of the joint (lol) are quite peaceful and just wanna chill and have a good time and the law dogs in my city are totaly okay with that. Most stoners dont want to fight and be rowdy when theyre stoned unlike drunken fools. Keep that in mind..

....and one more thing, anything more than $40 for a halfquarter is highway robery no matter how prime the bud is.

ooooh! and another thing too, atleast the Canadian government is actually talking about the subject openly unlike our American friends government which is uber against it. I dont get it.. Atleast Canadians are making headway. For legalization updates in Canada you can check out the Cannabis Culture webpage. link

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Pay up, skin up, light up!

:D

22. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

grow your own stash like i do... i mean i can even send you some really nice seeds if you like.. (and no one get preachy about this.. theyre seeds, not a plant which is not illegal.)

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm pretty sure unsterilized marijuana seeds are illegal to send to the US... I'm not tryin' to be preachy, just reminding you guys of the law.

24. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

hrmm. Guess the rules are different in Jesusland than what they are here... Ive ordered seed before from Amsterdam and Afghanistan with no issue.

25. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

Way to support the terrorists!

Anyways, legalizing Marijuana? I dunno, its a complicated issue. A nation of hippies smoking weed all day hah! It probablly wouldn't be that bad of a thing to do, and would get those drug dealers off the ****ing streets. Seriously they are a bunch of bastards those drug dealers. Plus if its legalized, there might be some commercial piss testing products available for parents, would make it harder for their kids to smoke marijuana if they knew their parents could piss test them really easily.