Any Students Use Facebook?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jaw04005, Apr 21, 2005.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Our college just got a facebook, which is an awesome social networking website.

Just curious if any MacRumors members are registered?
  2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    definitely awesome website, i started a MR member group for my school, but i guess im the only user oh well
  3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    yeah .... we've had it for about a year now ... it loses its novelty after a while like anything else but enjoy it while its fun.

post the funnniest / coolest group you're in

mine has to be "I facebooked your mom last night"
  4. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

Jul 20, 2004
    My school got it about 8 months ago or so and I was on it daily for a month or two, but it wears off quick. The best thing about it is getting in touch with people in high school, there were some folks I completely forgot about, so it was nice to drop and email and see how they were.

5. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    i heard someone was found out what dorm they were in and were stalked and raped at my school because she put up info on there o_O.
  6. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Mar 13, 2004
    That's awesome! I just joined the UW chapter. :)
  7. sarae macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2004
    madison, WI
    yay facebook! when i'm in a computer lab, it's funny to look around and see how many monitors have the facebook open. usually quite a few.
  8. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2002
    yeah facebook is pretty sweet/i'm addicted. My funniest group might be "show me on the doll where Naz touched you" or "I Graduated From a Public High School and I Haven't Shot anyone or Gotten Knocked Up"

At lehigh, my friend is in a group called "people against bobby flanagan's face" which I only mention because (a) I know who that is, and (b) last time I checked, it had 972 members and one groupie who was Bobby Flanagan.

EDIT: The group has two groupies now. it was cooler when there was just one.
  9. quackattack macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2004
    Boise, ID
    yeah, i'm on there. It's a good way to waste some time. I wish we could start a MR group that could have several schools on it. The Apple group can be at every school, we should be about to create one..... oh well. ;)

Some of my fav groups:

I've Got a Fever. and the Only Prescription Is More Cowbell.
    I Just Tried To Ford the River and My F***ing Oxen Died
  10. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

Jul 4, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    A ton of my friends use it. Every day I get at least 2-3 e-mails inviting me to use it. I just delete them. Why is it that people you haven't seen in three years suddenly want to talk to you?? If it was that important, wouldn't you just keep in touch anyway?? And why do I need to join to keep in touch with people I can just pick up the phone and call??

Sorry to crash everyone's party. I'm not in a good mood right now...
  11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004

the only reason i like facebook is because you can list your classes, and it has helped me become freinds with some of the other kids in my classes...its an icebreaker and we dont seem total strangers because we have seen each other listed on facebook.... thats just my take on it though
  12. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, for a while, I was on facebook like 3 times a day, and every time I checked my email, there was a new "XXXXX XXXXX has added you as a friend!" which is always nice. but, after a while, it slows down, but, its great fun while the rush lasts.

good groups i'm in?
    I survived taking the L home, inebriated at 2:30AM
    NPU (Ninja's and Pirates' United)
    Suburbanites Who are Tired of Chicagoans Who are Tired of Suburbanites Who Say they're From Chicago
    and of course Apple Students

thats the only corporately sponsored group i've seen.
  13. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    It seems highly overrated.First there was Friendster, then Myspace, then facebook. Out of all three, Facebook seems to be the lamest.
  14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    ive never used or heard of Friendster or Myspace, what are the differences between the three? but then again its not a huge issue for me as i dont use Facebook all that much, my girlfriend wanted me on there so she could claim me LOL
  15. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    thats pretty funnny.

Atleast at my school, thefacebook has been around for a while. MySpace never really got popular here, its more something my little sister in high school does so I don't think your chronology is right for everybody. I don't think thefacebook is the lamest because theres minimal outside intervention I mean at the very minimum you NEED an email address from the school, the privacy is sort of nice.
  16. Sox macrumors regular

Feb 9, 2005
    My school was one of the first few to get Facebook, and it all started pretty benignly. It wasn't a huge cult or "the thing that you do to be cool." As it's added more schools over the past year, I think it's rapidly taking over people's lives.

It's the natural extention of Instant Messanger. Everyone likes snap judgements and first impressions these days, so having a funny/introspective/sensitive/stimulating/depressing/whatever Facebook profile becomes important to a lot of people, and a lot of groups of people. It's interaction without interaction, and it's here to stay.

And yes, when you get bored, it's fun to look for the hot girl from Econ lecture.
  17. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
  18. apple2991 macrumors 6502

May 20, 2004
    My favorite group:

"I play guitar but if my facebook picture had me playing guitar in it, I'd look like a dick."
  19. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    Roughly three years ago Friendster came out. You have a profile, your friends have profiles and you link to eachother. The interface is the best out of all three, and it shows you how many degrees you are removed from someone. You can also leave testimonials about someone. Everyone used it, then Myspace came out and everyone flocked to that.

About 2 years ago Myspace came out. Myspace is similiar to Friendster, but it's interface isn't as good and it doesn't have testimonials. However, it has games and groups. It's also great for bands, allows more pictures (Friendster recently added photo albums, so this may have changed), and you can put video on your profile page. Then Facebook came out, and everyone flocked to that.

Facebook's only strength is that you have to be in an approved school to join and you can see who's taking the same classes as you. It only allows one pic, it's interface is the worst, and many schools still aren't on (the School of the Art Institute of Chicago isn't and it's the top art school in the U.S.). Hope this helps.
  20. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Apr 14, 2004
    I like it. It's fun to kill some time with.

I use it a lot to contact other Fraternity Brothers (Delta Sigma Phi) around the country.

Funniest Group: "The Poking Makes Me Happy" or "We all Knew Matt Hanson Would Join Facebook"

It's a neat thing.

Now all you need to do is get Wirehog (

Then the facebook is even more fun.

21. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2003
    yeah, i'm on thefacebook. umass was one of the first. the coolest part was finding out that old friends and new friends are connected in some way.
  22. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    cool thing i just discovered, you can export your friends list, including all the contact info and such, into Address Book. saved me loads of time from having to make a contact list for the rugby team i'm on.
  23. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Jul 1, 2003
    Pretty big at UMD. Plus, people pose as "parody" characters too. Generally all in good fun, e.g. Testudo, or Gary Williams.

I agree that the listing of classes is nice for networking. Plus groups can give you a quick look at other people who share your interests. Clubs/groups have a very quick/easy way to communicate to its members here as well (and you can see what the other members look like)

Some people choose to be anonymous, others choose to be quite the opposite. I think moderation is the key here.
  24. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Jul 8, 2005