Any substitute for AirPort card?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by WhimsyGirl2, Jul 28, 2004.

1. WhimsyGirl2 macrumors newbie

Obviously I wasn't paying too much attention or I would have bought the AirPort card before they discontinued them...any idea where I can find one or find something else that will work? I tried ebay but but the prices were a little high...
    Any advice would be appreciated!

2. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

3. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Actually they still sell the old Airport cards. I bought one about a month ago at CompUSA.

4. nels0360 macrumors member

I just bought a sonnet aria extreme for a G4 desktop. Works great in the PCI slot.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

So it requires a CardBus slot, which means it won't work on a non-PowerBook, or the 12" PB.

I suggest searching eBay, your local Apple Reseller, or the bargain bin/table at an Apple store if there's one nearby.

6. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

I second the CompUSA idea. I just got one there today for $79.99 That is about the same price give or take for an IBM Compatible network card.

if not,

Try www.welovemacs.com

Mike

7. WhimsyGirl2 thread starter macrumors newbie

ugh

Thanks for the advice...we only have one CompUsa in Iowa (crazy, huh!) and they are out.

Thank you...

8. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i'd suggest that you stay away from the used cards on ebay, i've gotten 3 from 2 different vendors, and they were all dead.

9. Eater macrumors newbie

Aria card in G3 iBook

Is it possible to use Sonnet's Aria wireless card in a G3 iBook, or only in PowerBooks? Anyone know?

10. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I suppose it depends on what kind of computer you have. If you have a tower, you can get an 802.11b/g PCI card. If you have a laptop, some models have PCMCIA slots, in which you could use a variety of those on the market.

11. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

Just go out and buy a Wi-Fi USB dongle. That's if you have a free USB port. You can find them as low as $49.00 bucks.

12. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Most laptops with a PC card slot made today are CardBus caompatible. the difference between it and a older laptop with pc card slots is like going from ISA to PCI. Cardbus runs on 32bits while non cardbus pc cards work on 16 bit. Almost every pc card made requires CardBus. The few exeptions are some ethernet cards.

13. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

You can always try this. I've personally seen them work well on Windows PCs (my Dad has one for his Toshiba laptop) and since it claims Mac OS X support you can try it. It's cheap too, I've seen these on sale for under $20 at places like Best Buy and Fry's before.

http://dlink.com/products/?pid=175

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

When I said non-PowerBook, I meant iBooks. :rolleyes: