any super modest mac users out there who still think they can get 4 years from a mac?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Dec 1, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    this month, my two laptops, ibook and pc laptop, turn three years old

but for my uses of computers, while for at least two hours per day, are very modest, i can see even going another year with my ibook

the pc laptop is truly obsolete and stuck with windows 98 but will take windows ME but i like the that machine will be replaced soon sometime next year

but my bulletproof revision a clamshell ibook is perfect for what i use it for and since i have had limited exposure to 2002 era macs, i guess i don't know what i am missing

since the computer hardware/software field is moving faster now than ever, i would get a 1 ghz tibook with maxed out RAM if i expected to get four years of modest use from it everyday from now until december, 2006

there will come a time when no laptop, mac or pc, will last a high school student or college student all four years of their schooling

and odds are the thing would get dropped once too much, spilled on, or stolen in that period of time

my guess is that the "average" high school or college mac laptop user goes through two machines in their four year stint
  2. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    i am really hopeing that the ibook i bought...700mhz 640mgs ram will last me for 3 years...that last year i'm sure i'll be desperatly wanting a brand new computer though...who knows though, if i come into some money i'll buy one in a year and a half
  3. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    Yep, PCs have more obsolescence than Macs.

Windows ME is loaded with bugs, from what I hear, and doesn't offer anything beyond what you get with 98. Windows 2000 is probably Microsoft's best OS, but you'll need at least 256MB to run it well. Most PC laptops offer only very limited memory expansion capability, so you may be stuck with 32MB or whatever you have.

I've got a rev A iBook also, it has 160MB RAM which is maxed out according to Apple. It runs Mac OS 9 excellently. Battery life is superb, display is clear, sharp and bright; the case is rugged. I like that handle on the back, which the new ones don't have.

I've heard it's possible to put in a 256MB SO-DIMM, but I haven't tried it. I haven't installed Mac OS X because I think it won't work well with only 160MB; it has only one USB port, and no Firewire. Still, it's a very fine portable machine as it sits; I can play all of my games, too, since all the new games work just as well in 9 as in X.

As a programmer, tho, the siren song of Mac OS X is too great to resist.

Maybe it's just me, but I think the pace of technological obsolescence is slowing. In the PC world, there's no compelling reason to upgrade from a 500MHz P-II as long as you have enough memory and run Windows 2000. What more will you be able to do with a newer computer? I can't think of anything.

Similarly, if you bought the 1GHz PBG4, when the 970's come out a year later, what more will you be able to do? I'm not sure the 64-bit machines in either the Mac or PC world will have a big impact. Maybe there'll be some kind of killer database/multimedia/artificial intelligence program that will make everyone lust for 8-byte words, but I doubt it.

One way to cope with this is to buy a one-year-old used machine instead of a new machine. Then, if you get two or three years out of it, you're happy. If you get more, that's even better.
  4. MacBandit macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2002
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    I personally think that a computer today can last you longer then it they did just 2 years ago. This is because just about anything you buy today is fast enought that even 4 years from now it should be capable of running any application that an average user could want to run.

Hell if you just wanted to email and do movie stuff with iMovie there is no reason that you couldn't use a new PowerMac nearly indefinitely. They are seriously faster then the average user could ever need.

I've posted this before but here it is again.

5. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Jul 22, 2002
    Toledo, OH, formerly Twin Cities, MN
    Re: any super modest mac users out there who still think they can get 4 years from a

Well thats exactly what I'm planning on doing. I'm getting the Superdrive pb maxed ram etc. and I'm expecting it to last me for four years through either med school or astro research in grad school.

My current PC laptop, a 550 MHz AMD K6-II with integrated video memory is fairly obsolete. But I've thrown it in my backpack, no special case for over three years now...and I think it has served me well through college. So no, I haven't had to buy multiple computers through college;) and I haven't treated it particularly well either :eek:

I guess I'm just different. :)
  6. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2002
    A cardboard box.
    I know I can, despite the fact I don't like to. Until last summer I was still using a iMac rev B
  7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    My PowerMac B&W G3/400 is doing quite well, thank you very much. It was first available in spring 1999 and, especially with the fast hard drive and full memory, is quite good and not so slow.

My dual G4/800 is not twice as fast as the G3 in applications which stress the whole system and which don't take advantage of both processors. The UltraATA hard drive is not so fast so, when it goes to virtual memory, it's virtually a lifetime compared to the G3. I think this machine will age the quickest of all I've had. Of course, it's already two generations away since it was replaced in January.

The problem with all this is--me. :D I wanted to go fast. I wanted faster, faster, faster all the time. I'll have to wait for Apple to make its operating system much more efficient and for the application developers to tune what they have. I think my G3 will still be there. :)
  8. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    Re: Re: any super modest mac users out there who still think they can get 4 years from a

it means you are very careful and safe

if i need a physician in your neck of the woods, i will look you up

i used to have a dentist, i am sure rich as all heck, but he had the touch of a linebacker and i called him dr. black and decker ;)

my PC laptop has an AMD K6-II 366 mhz chip with a maxed out 160 MB of PC 66's too old to run windows 2000, which does minimally with at least 384 MB of RAM...same with os x for any mac

the hardware on the ibook is compatible with os x but not all the hardware on the pc laptop is compatible with w2k and there are no super old w2k hardware drivers available unless one writes their own...something a hardware techie like me does not know how to do...but programmers and driver writers come from all around the world to work here in and around san jose, many prorammers with windows programming saavy have run some windows 95 era machines on windows 2000...amazing but a real investment in time:p :eek: :)

btw...these highly talented programmers are ones i know who are musical recording buffs and don't actually consider themselves programmers or techies but poor, starving musicians who will go to any length to get that sound
  9. big macrumors 65816

Feb 20, 2002
    I know people still using performas as their email, web & word processor.
    they even do some excellent drawing off of them.

its all in your opinion, you dont have to update to the newest OS every time one comes out. My G3 is ungodly old, and the 600 mhz iBook will probably stay on 10.2 unless new OS's come out for free.

Really, I now have no reason to update, unless something happens like HDTV, where sooner or later, my old TV WILL be obsolete by what 2006? or something like that.

However, I do see a flat panel screen coming into my life in 2 years (when prices drop) and a McAlley 2 button scroll wheel, optical mouse *hint for Xmas*
  10. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    Re: Yep, PCs have more obsolescence than Macs.

i heard about it, too here on an old macrumors post

it's not a regular small outline double inline memory module, but a more expensive hack that still uses the 144 pin architecture

i don't know of amy makers now who make it, but it was on the internet back in the rev. a ibook days and the module was like $500 dollars (due to extreme scarcity) then since it was so rare and a specialty product...i wonder if a current 256 MB RAM chip will work on my 66 mhz bus sytem on the ibook

some manufacturer(s) must have end of lifed it sometime in early 2000 so you may want to find it on ebay on sun remarketing or some outlet like that

if you find it and it's under $200, PM me and let me know since i would be interested in having more RAM for os 9

with 32 MB of RAM with a 256 MB specialized module in the one available slot in my revision a ibook, that makes it for a grand total of 288 MB...almost 100 MBs short of what any os x enthusiast would recommend

most people i know who use os x have 512 MB to 1+ GB of RAM for the operating system and their apps

i also have photoshop and illustrator and i don't think the revision a ibook would be able to open those programs and still run os would either crash with a kernel error or just be plain too slow

the mac dealer where i live have never heard of jaguar running on 256 MB of RAM on any mac so 288 is cutting it way too close

i will get a new mac next year and by then, i will be os x-ing:D
  11. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    I just bought a blueberry iBook and it's in pretty good condition considering how old it is.
    Runs Jag fine. Chimera's a bit clunky though.

May end up selling it and get a brand new combo-drive, a newer one may be a better investment since it's going to be my only computer when I move.
  12. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    must be the rev b. (feb, 2000) with more RAM capability (320 MB) and ability to take standard 256 MB small outline double inline memory module/144 pin/PC100, not the 160 MB ibook with the old 66 mhz bus and inability to take the 256 MB module

since i am a pc guy, what is chimera?
  13. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Associate at my local Apple store opioned that I could keep my Mac past 3 years. That going to Mac Fixit etc I could find the need help. My fear would be the expense if a repair was needed after Apple Care expired.
  14. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    Yeah, mine came with 320 MB RAM.
    I just bought a 40 GB 5400 hard drive for it that should arrive Monday, should speed things up a bit.

You don't know what Chimera is?!?[​IMG][​IMG]

It's by far the fastest internet browser I have ever used. You can get it from .
  15. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    oh, that's right

works with PCs too, right?
  16. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002

Nope, Mac only. PC's (Linux too) have a version called Phoenix (although it's getting a name change this week)
    It's not as fast as Chimera, but the fastest you can get on PCs.
  17. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    I got about 3 years out of my old Performa. Then we dumped it for a iMac 333, it is going on 4 years soon. I had been using an old Blue & White tower I got used for the last 1.5 years. Not bad considering the B&W was already a couple of years old. I am planning on getting a new laptop soon though.

My C64 lasted me a looonnnggg time ;)
  18. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    My 400MHz PB is getting passed down to my girlfriend when my new maxed out 1GHz PB arrives. It's been a great machine, and as my first Mac it will always hold a special place in my heart.

It's about 13 months old, and I expect for it to get some good use for another 2-3 years, barring any disastrous hardware problems. :)
  19. SPG macrumors 65816

Jul 24, 2001
    In the shadow of the Space Needle.
    I just got a new dual 867 as my video edit system at home, to replace the original G4, which was still running fine and could've easily done the job for another year, but hey $1700 for a quantum leap in rendering time?
    At work I'm authoring DVD's on a G4 450 and that's more than enough since most of the heavy lifting is done by an encoding card. We also have a Media 100 edit system on a G3, and there is a couple of I can't even remember what kind of old beige boxes in use in the translation department. Sometimes the old ones get a little cranky, but for the most part they're doing fine and don't need to be upgraded. More than three years old and doing fine.
  20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    I'm working over 3 years on a machine at home now, myself. Sawtooth 450 MHz G4 - and I won't buy another until the 970's come out or something similar in power. I want an order of magnitude in processing speed before laying down 5k-8k on a new system.

I do have a 667 G4 TiPB for work - but main computer at home is the original G4.

21. Computer_Phreak macrumors 6502

Jul 15, 2002
    I had:

Micron Home MPC
    166 Mhz Pentium
    32 MB RAM
    1.6 GB Hard Drive
    *4+ years

IBM Thinkpad 760 XL
    166 Mhz Penium
    32 MB RAM
    2.1 GB Hard Drive
    *1+ year

800 Mhz Duron
    128 MB RAM
    30 GB Hard Drive
    2(?) years

iMac 700 Mhz
    256 MB RAM
    40 GB HD

Already I want a different computer... not because my iMac is that slow, but thats just who I am, I want the latest and greatest.
  22. big macrumors 65816

Feb 20, 2002
    I agree, I'll hold out until there's a new breed of Macs.
    something absolutely amazing
  23. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    being a rev a ibook owner, when i saw the introduction of the tibook, that's what i thought

and still what i think

when the G5 comes out, or ibm 970, or whatever is next, i wouldn't mind if they just put that chip, and its chipset/mobo into that sexy cool titanium case

and the almost inevitable .13 micron processed chip would give owners the ability to wear shorts:p :p :p
  24. Macette macrumors 6502

Mar 5, 2002
    i have my b&w G3, that I bought 3.5 years ago. it's my absolute best friend in the whole world. i'm going to buy something new in june next year... unless there's something really great just around the corner.

it's pretty slow with jag etc, but it really hasn't given me a moment of trouble in its whole life, and i feel it needs to be rewarded for long service. i don't think i could ever sell it. it will be four years old when i replace it.