Any switchers here?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by brian0526, Jan 29, 2003.

1. brian0526 macrumors regular

I've been considering switching to a Mac for about two months now. I'm waiting for Apple to release the updated iMacs. As I wait, I'm beginning to get antsy.

I realize there will be some transitioning. I have a few programs that don't have exact equivalents in the Mac world. I've got tons of data in Quicken that I'm going to have to manually re-enter or lose. I'm willing to go through the pain, if it's worth it. But, I'm leaning back to just buying a Dell with Windows XP and dealing with Microsoft for another 3-4 years.

I'm curious to know what other people's experience has been with switching. Pros and cons. I know the Mac is a superior platform. I have no doubt. I'm just curious as to what the pain is like to get there (besides the fact it costs so much more than a PC).

Thanks!
    Brian

2. jes13 macrumors member

Well Brian I 'switched' about 2 weeks ago, they do have a payment plan (but I'm gonna pay it off sooner - :) ). Now the questions to ask yourself, do you 'like' Windows? Do you like to play a lot of games? If so, then a Mac may NOT be for YOU, as for ME I'm VERY happy and 2600 poorer, but I truly think it's worth it! I'm not sorry yet and I figure if, in the end, I decide I don't like the Mac I can always go back to a PC next time around.... YOU have to decide what's important to you and take it from there! Good Luck!

Jeanne

3. brian0526 thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, I've been using Windows since 3.1 and I've NEVER liked it. I don't play many games. I don't have the time and my 4 year PC can't play any of the new games anyway since I haven't upgraded the video.

I don't like Windows. I don't like Microsoft (that's an understatement). I've heard XP is much better than Windows 98 (my current version of Windows). But, I heard that about Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows ME, too- they were all terrible.

So, if I'm so unhappy with Windows why the hesitation to switch? Since I've been reading these boards, I've seen a lot of concern about Apple's inability to get the speed up on their CPUs. OS X looks like it'd be pretty intense to run. I don't want to pay as much for a Mac as they cost and then find it's sluggish. Also, if I do want to play games in the future, I'd like to at least be able to play "middle-of-the-road" games. The other hesitation is compatibility with all of the PC software I've bought over the years. The biggest issue there is Quicken. While there is a Mac version (it ships with the iMac), I've found out (from Intuit) that the file formats are completely different and that there are even some account types in Quicken for Windows that don't exist in Quicken for Mac.

I'm still planning to make the switch as soon as the new iMacs are released. But, I keep finding myself going back to the Dell website and thinking I could have one of these next week and it'll run all my applications as they are today. I just hope the new iMacs come out before I slip back to the dark side.

:D

Brian

4. Mighty Mac macrumors member

my 2 cents

Brian,

Mac OS X.2 is fast very fast. I run it on an iMac DV from 99 400 MHz 10gig HD 384 ram. The ram update was needed without at least this much it would be slow I feel. As for how it runs on new systems, appears to fly the graphics card rendering most of the quartz really takes pressure off the CPU. I do not think you will be disappointed, I am also waiting for the iMac revision but if it last much longer I may give up and see what the first 970 Power Macs look like.

As for Dell, great machines, Windows XP is very stable; unlike the prior reports believe what you hear of XP. But get out of MS world if you can the grass is truly greener on the other side.

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Brian, what kinda PC do you have? is it fast enough to run Quicken if you can't get your files over? if so, keep it around just for that and use your Mac for your main stuff.

Also, if you have a LAN, check out he following software, you might be able to control your PC remotely from your Mac just for Quicken :)

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/download.html

6. brian0526 thread starter macrumors regular

PC and Quicken

I have a very slow, very unstable PC and I want it gone. It's 450 MHz and it crashes several times/day (I've rebooted three times today already). I'm on my machine all day long running multiple applications and it just can't keep up.

I may start by running Quicken using one of the Windows emulators on the Mac for a while until I can make the transition over to the Windows version. If I make the leap to Mac, I don't want to be switching back into the Windows world any more than absolutely necessary.

7. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Re: PC and Quicken

You might be better off running Quicken on your old PC as you do the transition to the Mac version instead of shelling out the $200 or so for VPC.

If you go for a PowerMac, VPC runs ok on it. I play with them at the Apple Store all the time, and I am impressed.

8. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I just switched, and for the most part love my new TiBook. The only thing I've had trouble with is manipulating files on the desktop and in the main folders. I'm slowly figuring it out, but I was really, really used to windows explorer that I'm sort of disoriented.

The other thing that freaks me out are the disk things that come up on the desktop. A program will mount on the desktop, and then you can eject it or whatever. I just have no idea what that's all about, but hey, it works, I won't complain.

9. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Heheheh, tell me about it. I used Macs on daily bases back when OS 8 was THE only OS. So imagine telling your brain "ok, forget Explorer, think MacOS" then ... "Do'h forget MacOS ... try to figure out this MacOSX thingy" ;)

10. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

I switched to an iBook for my primary machine, though I still have a PC. OS X is great, and my iBook is NOT slower than my PC with Athlon XP 1700+, 256MB RAM, etc. And it's also NOT slower than the crappy Compaq I use at work (not sure about the MHz, but it's got 384MB RAM). I'm not sure how my iBook compares to a new 2.8 GHz P4 or something, but all I can say is that it's plenty fast and I'm totally satisfied.

11. jes13 macrumors member

Brian

Well then I don't see any problems Brian, but think about it til YOU'RE sure - you'll love the VERY friendly (rare) 'idiot' boxes too - they don't make you feel like you're 'stupid' and/or did something awful to your computer LOL.... Good Luck! (I bought a G4) Jeanne

12. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I switched to the Mac (iBook) in August of '01 and have been very happy with it. So happy, in fact, that I've decided to buy a desktop Mac at some point (still deciding if I should go for the new machines). You'll love the Mac and the iBook is a fantastic size, though if I were buying a laptop right now I'd go for the 12" PowerBook.

Anyway, enjoy your new Mac when you get it.

13. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i will admit, i grew up with windows 3.1 thru XP (i was in on XP since the release candidate the july before last--god it's been so long), and i ws very used to Explorer. it's a really good design for browsing folders (if you have the "folder" window open). there's no way around it. i got my new TiBook in November; first mac ever. It's MUCH smoother than any PC i have ever seen. As far as Finder goes, there was plenty of getting used to. but i find that the "column view" is actually MORE intuitive than explorer, and i am confident that, should you buy a mac, you should be right at home with finder within a few days.

I got used to most things really quickly. most things i figured out myself (helped by a slight familiarity with Linux (a few months on Mandrake and a few days on RH). OS X is incredibly easy to learn at a general level, if you come into it liking it.

as to Quicken: Why not wait for this?

just a thought. good luck switching.