Any thoughts on a PVR?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by steamboat26, Jul 8, 2006.

1. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I am thinking about getting a Plextor ConvertX PVR http://www.plextor.com/english/products/TV402UMac.htm
    so i can watch TV on my mini, and do some tivo-like recording. Does anybody own one of these, and if so, what do you think of it?
    or
    Any other recommendations on PVRs or devices with similar functions?

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Seeing your list of Macs, you might be better off with a device that has a Firewire connection. That way, your G3 iMac could be used, as long as you don't need HD recording.

ft

3. steamboat26 thread starter macrumors 65816

steamboat26

My imac has USBs (i guess they are 1.1). Would they be too slow to make a PVR function properly?

4. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

That looks pretty cool. Just keep in mind it appears to be analog and not digital, which means it's not gonna do the HD signals or work in 2009 (in theory).

I got a cheap dell with media center on it and it does everything I need it to do.

If you're willing to purchase another machine I'd suggest going that route as these days it's cheaper to get it from Dell than build it yourself or sacrifice your mini's small HDD space and precious CPU cycles... :D

Good luck though. Having a PVR on your computer beats paying the cable company to rent one every month...

5. steamboat26 thread starter macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Which PVRs could do HD? Why wouldn't it theoretically work after 2009?