Any thoughts on misbehaving PowerMac?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jmoss, Nov 4, 2006.

1. macrumors member

Nov 4, 2006
    Hi all,

Had my dual 1.8 G5 Powermac for 2 years and has been superb. Added 4Gb ram and the ATI X800XT card. Running 10.4.8. It has just started playing up. Came back to it with all fans going and a blank screen. Now has REAL problems starting. Had it checked by a Genius and ran disc warrior and checked in Linux - all system and directories fine. He managed to start it fine. I got it home and no go again :mad: However, since managed to get it started and runs fine until I put it to sleep, and once it just froze.

So, I think it's the hard drive, but welcome thoughts! Now the good news, covered under Applecare and engineer coming to collect it next week. Second bit of good news - Super Duper - backed up and fully ghosted. Third bit of good news - MacPro coming shortly (I hope).

So, what do you think?
    Best wishes,

2. macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2005
    Alta Loma, CA
    Did you try reverting to the stock memory and video, just to eliminate those items as possibilities?
  3. thread starter macrumors member

Nov 4, 2006
    Good point

Unfortunately, I have neither! Doh! :rolleyes:
  4. macrumors 6502a

Jan 11, 2005
    Little grey, chilly island.
    Yeh, try what the above poster said and see how it behaves.

I've had problems like this with my Powermac and they're a real pain because you never know quite what's up! So:

1) Take out Ram and test for a day or so.
    2) If it behaves add it back in again and see - if it misbehaves you know it's the ram.
    3) If the above makes no diff, try the new graphics card
    4) Repeat step 2
    5) If not, try re-installing the Mac OSX (I would use a new HDD too)
    6) etc etc

My problems (which were frequent crashes and blips) ended up being fixed by a new Hard Drive and a fresh install of OSX - I don't know what cured it.