any TiBook revisions before PowerBookG5 ????

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by phantommaul, May 14, 2002.

1. phantommaul macrumors member

yep my question is simple pals. are we gonna see any revisions before the release of powerbook g5 or is it the last form of our sexy Ti Machines

send your ideas

2. phantommaul thread starter macrumors member

oppps sorry i meant
    ...before the release of powerbook G5...

3. Wildcat macrumors regular

Yeah i think we will see another revision before a Powerbook G5 because I think it wil take them a while to get a low voltage version of the G5 chip. Do you remember how long the Powerbook G3's and the G4 Towers overlapped? i could be wrong but I think the Powerbook would go to a 1Ghz G4 before it went to a G5.

4. phantommaul thread starter macrumors member

wow so its time for me to wait and buy the 1ghz version
    if it comes out but it sounds really cool 1ghz tibook g4 :)

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I'm probably wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that the G5 drew less power (therefore less heat) than the G4. Don't recall where though. Yes, I'm positive the G4 powerbook will be revised before the G5 is in PowerBooks, didn't the G3 powerBook get revs even after the G4 tower was released? Since the G5 tower isn't out yet, I imagine that we may even see 2 or maybe even 3 revs to the powerBook before it gets a G5

6. Wildcat macrumors regular

I think I have read that too somewhere. I was more just speaking in general terms. It usually takes a while for a chip manufacturer like Motorola, AMD, or Intel to make a chip in the same generation that uses little enough power to be viable in a portable.

7. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

macktheknife

Past releases

Here are the past announcement days for the previous G3 and G4 models (information from www.apple-history.com):

PowerMac G3 (Gossamer): Nov-97
    PowerBook G3 (Wall Street): Mar-98
    PowerMac G3 (Yosemite - Blue & White): Jan-99
    PowerMac G4 (Quicksilver): Sep-99
    PowerBook G4 (TiBook): Jan-01
    iBook (G3): May-01

There was almost a 15-month lag between the introduction of the Quicksilver and the TiBook. I don't think Apple will take that long to introduce a G5 PowerBook once they've introduced a G5 PowerMac, but I wouldn't rule out a significant lagtime between the two models.

8. phantommaul thread starter macrumors member

i hate to ask this question but its so classic and so unsolved
    i am not managing to buy until the begining of 2003
    so after 2003 how long do i have to wait in order to get a best but and a optimum tiBook

because the first rev was really poor on configuration 400 G4 with DVD only and a poor 8 MB of vram

i dont want to become like the pals who bought those poor tibooks

help me on thisss
    i want a powerbook but when do i have to but
    i am prepared to waif for pg G5

send me your ideas

9. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

You will certainly not be seeing a 15 month gap between the introduction of the G5 PowerMacs and the G5 PowerBooks. I wouldn't be surprised if they drop G5s straight into the PowerBooks, as they will run cooler than the current G4s.

10. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Well it obviously depends on when the G5 is released...if NY02 or SF03, probably no..but if NY03 or Tokyo03 or whetever 03, probably yes..and it also depends on what comes out G4wise in the coming months..

11. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

G5 and Ti

Its not as simple as just 'dropping in' a G5 into the G5 Powerbook. The G5 is based on an entirely new architecture, so there will be a lot of redesigning involved before they can release the Powerbook model. Its my bet that the PowerMacs will be DDR savvy by the last quarter of this year with dual 1.4 gHz on the top end, and (if we are lucky) G5's by MWSF '03, or maybe not until March '03.

With all that in mind, you can bet a DDR Powerbook will come out long before a G5 powerbook comes out. So, if you are planning on buying in the beginning of 03, you will probably be buying a 1 gHz DDR G4.

It will be the end of the year of 2003 before you see a Powerbook G5, at the earliest. I have to admit though, Apple is doing a better job of shortening their release time between the desktops and portables.

12. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

One more thing to keep in mind is that the mythical G5 will be based on a .13 micron process as well as SOI, which reduces power consumption and heat dispersion...ideal for a laptop.

The question I have is: Why would they build a brand new motherboard just for DDR, just to redesign it for the next CPU?

13. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

True. I seriously doubt we will be seeing a G5 soon, so Im just supposing that Apple will throw us a bone with the DDR. That only makes me believe that it will be an even loooooonger time before the G5 comes out.

14. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Yeah, it sounds like G5s are going to be a while in coming...but I think people are going to start holding off for DDR across the entire pro line, including the new PowerBooks, which might force Apple to speed up their release cycle.

15. kaneda macrumors regular

G5 Powermac

Okay, G5 powermac hasn't come out yet...how can you expect the powerbook G5 to be ready? powerbook will be always be a year behind powermac...

16. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

G4 PowerMac = October 13, 1999
    G4 PowerBook = January 9, 2001

G3 PowerMac = November 10, 1997
    G3 PowerBook = November 10, 1997

Hmmm...over a year in one case...simultaneous in the other...

As usual with Apple, you can't predict anything.

www.everymac.com for info on every Mac model.

17. phantommaul thread starter macrumors member

oh boyyy:mad: :mad: :mad:

its so mind f**king to decide when to buy ( dont start the classic waiting lasts forever stuff)

i want to buy it at an optimum time and i am ok for waiting but...
    oh man there lots of questions to be answered like;

g4 are really ok and a 1Ghz DDR g4 will be great but...
    u guys say g5 has lower power consumption and produces less heat - these are really good qualifications for a loaptop.

oh ohhh what to doo what to dooo ???
    now i learned that if i had 10000 $ i wouldnt be able to make a decision for the right time but at least i know the product i want
    POWERBOOK

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You have to ask yourself, do you really need one now, or can you wait indefinitely? Using speculation to sway your purchase choice won't help you any. If you need it for work, get it, the new TiPB is fast enough for most apps. If its just for personal use, why are you so concerned?

With out having any firm date, you're just going to miss out on all the time you could have had a new machine. With the recent release of the newer version of the TiPB, you probably won't see a new one at MWNY. You'll have to wait until MWSF or maybe a small update sometime in November.

19. phantommaul thread starter macrumors member

i have a p3 450Mhz PC now... so as u can see i have sinned :) i want to replace this junk but i know i wont be buying anything until mwsf2003 but after that if the g5 PB's are gonna be on the horizon i would wait but as everyone is incapable of making healty predictions about apples moves me too have no idea if they are gonna release g5PB after mwsf03 or not

that is the question pi*ses mee too much

by the way the pictures u have underneath your nick has something to do with the number of posts u sent. AM I RIGHT ?

20. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

number of posts

Yes, if you have 500 posts or more, you get an avatar (little picture) under your name that you can place/design yourself. As you can see, Im just about ready to join the club!