Any tips for better bluetooth performance with keyboard/mouse?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JeDiBoYTJ, Oct 21, 2004.

1. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

At first, my Apple Wireless keyboard and mouse worked nearly flawlessly, never had a disconnection or problem. but recently im starting to get more frequent problems

the main problem is, the mouse and keyboard both randomly loose connection. Like, i'll be typing (like I am now), and then it will freeze, and if I was in the middle of typing, it would start going like thissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss, then stop. then I have to wait 20 seconds or so for it to find it again and reconnect, sometimes having to reset both the keyboard and the bluetooth module, and sometimes (but rarely), I would have to completely repair the two.

also the mouse sometimes starts becoming jittery, and I would have to reset the mouse to get it working again.

so, is there anyway that I can make this stop, or at least happen less frequently? (computer specs in sig)

2. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Without trying to point out the blinding obvious, could it be the battery?

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Seems unlikely that both mouse and KB battery would fail at the same time (but it's possible).

It could be that your internal BT antenna has come loose. Also, it's possible that there is a strong signal in the BT spectrum nearby (2.4GHz, I think - but I've forgotten and it might be 900 MHz). Do you use the BT items in more than one place, and do they behave is a similarly screwy manner everywhere?

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It could also be simple radio interference. Bluetooth uses frequency hopping to avoid problems, and it works pretty well, but it's not perfect. In particular it's right in the same range as microwave ovens, wifi, satellite equipment, security systems, and more. If you or anyone nearby has added or moved something like that, there is the potential that it can cause hiccups.

5. JeDiBoYTJ thread starter macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

The batteries in the mouse are brand new (put them in 2 days ago), and the keyboard is running at 3 out of 5 battery bars (according to the battery meter in the bluetooth system preferences)

The keyboard has never once been moved from this very spot on my desk, but I do take the mouse with me when im out at school and such, and I never had a problem on the road, the problem resides at home.

I have a 2.4ghz 802.11b linksys router, could that be causing some interference? the only other thing in the house is a 2.4ghz cordless phone that rarely gets used.