any tips on making black iPod earbuds?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Scarlet Fever, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I decided that my white wires didn't match my black iPod, so i spent about half an hour painting them with a permanent marker. it looks great, and matches the iPod heaps better, but the ink is already fading. Ive seen a guide on how to do it with some paint stuff, but it left a really uneven finish and the bud parts looked terrible.

Has anyone painted their iPod earbuds with success?

2. bobscliff macrumors regular

bobscliff

3. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Spray paint will most likely chip off very quickly...need something that will stain and soak into the wires and ear pieces...hmmm...

4. Mustafa macrumors regular

Just buy some Sennheisers -- your ears will thank you and so will your clothes!

5. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

personally, i disagree. shure, in my opinion, is the best brand of noise cancelling in ear headphones, but they do cost quite a few dinero.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Dip in liquid chocolate?? Sure would taste good lol

7. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

Can you post some pics of what you have already done.

8. Scarlet Fever thread starter macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

sure can
    [​IMG]
    the white parts on the buds are either from where the ink has been worn away from common use or where i couldn't get the pen to go.

and by the way if i was to get new buds, i hate the in-ear ones. I had some Sennheiser MX550s and they just randomly stopped working. My mates did exactly the same...

9. Mustafa macrumors regular

I have both, and I much prefer the Sennheisers. And nobody said noise-cancelling was a prerequisite.

10. Johnny Rico macrumors 6502

For not very much money you can pick up a pair of these.. match the black ipod well, sound nice, and are worlds more comfortable than the stock ipod headphones (I've found that I don't have any problems with these after hours-long airplane rides for instance).

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Another option on the cheap end of the scale are Griffin EarThumps in black. Very nice looking, symmetric cord and straight plug (like the iPod headphones), very comfortable in-ears with a good seal. And I got mine (which are white, but still) for less than $15 shipped via eBay. :)

12. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I really wouldn't get those headphones which go right inside your ear and much closer to your eardrum than usual. Your ear canal is the best at being an ear canal, not some plastic tubing designed by a Japanese electronics company...

13. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

I agree, if you want quality, get big ones that go round your ear, if you want discretion and lightness, stick with the stock ones or similar. I have the Apple in-ears and I hardly use them.

14. cloudblood84 macrumors regular

cloudblood84

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Okay, that was random and mildly racist.... :rolleyes:

16. kinesin macrumors regular

They are great headphone till they stop working - I've that exact model.
    Good sound, very useful on planes/noise environments as they they are earplugs, and the're silent to the people around you.
    However so many stories around the web about the RHS earbud stopping after about 9 months, which is my current issue with them. Both the extension cable and main bud cables are so thin that they easily twist and end up providing a lose connection.
    OT: Sony really do seem to have slipped on quality in recent years - so much so that I've stopped buying anything with their tag on it. My last 2 discmans failed at 13 months, headphones about 9 months, my Bro's PS2 15 months. Even a couple of their laptops a have given us grief at work..:confused:

17. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

i believe colorware could make 'em black for 15 bucks or so

18. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Sennheiser CX300. They're available in black (with a silver band). 2 year warranty, isolates from outside sounds like the Apple in-ears, better built (and somewhat better sounding) than the mediocre Sony EX71's. $50ish.

19. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

I lost my Apple standard earphones and replaced them with some cheap Sony ones (not in ear). They are black and silver and cost £6.99. I think they may be about the same as, or slightly better than, the Apple ones. I don't use them all the time but they're handy to carry around in my pocket for use in traffic jams etc.