any track and field athletes?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Nov 17, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

did anyone run, jump, vault, toss, throw in jr high, high school, or college?

any pros here?:D

2. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Re: any track and field athleletes?

110 hurdles ;) in highschool... wasn't very good though

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I did Cross-Country in high school. The running aspect of Track and Field seemed pointless to me. Why run in a circle? I'd rather go somewhere if I'm running ;).

4. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

we live in a highly wooded area, and during practice, some of the cross country runners would just go off and get stoned or make out

i was in school in the 70s and that 70s show does bring up some interesting points of those more or less carefree days just after the vietnam war

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I wasn't very athletic in high school. Actually, I rode my bike & that was about it.

I did start running about 6 years ago though, could barely make it around the block. I worked my time & speed pretty nicely though, averaging about 6 mins a mile when I stopped. I've got a bum knee & had to quit, I was having some bigtime trouble with it after my runs after running my first & only 10k.

I'd run now if I could, but my bike suffices. ;)

6. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

not a track&field athlete, but i swim... swam in HS, college... in smaller capacity now. there's a sport that's even more of "going nowhere" type. at the peak of my training, i swam more than 15,000 meters (10 miles) in two sessions in one day but i was never more than 50 meters away from where i started. :D

eye - dang, 6 min. mile's impressive! too bad about the knee, though... :(

7. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

our track coach was a stickler about proper form and low impact running...he was like a drill sgt ;)

most runners and joggers out there wreck their joints, bones, and ultimately their health

our coach taught us to run properly like the top one percent of runners because running with form anything below that was counterproductive to one's bones and health

everytime i see a runner out there, basically every time, i see bad form and they should be off the ground and in the pool and do themselves some real good

even most low impact exercise machines are not that at all so buyer beware

8. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Actually, the worst thing I saw while doing cross-country was some of the seniors driving to our destination. We always wondered how they got there so quickly. Well, suffice it to say, when the coach found out, there was hell to pay.

9. James.Paul macrumors regular

I came to the US on a track and field scholarship in 1991. I was at San Jacinto College in Texas, and Loras College in Iowa.

I Long Jumped 7.25 metres, forget what that is in feet and inches. I ran 100metres in 10.8, and also dabbled with Triple Jump, and Decathlon (up until I was 16).

Got a back injury in my third year and never competed again. I'm not bitter, as shortly after i discovered beer and kebabs and it has all been downhill from then on.

One of my training partners was Lacena Golding Clarke who has gone onto do very well in the Women's 100 metre hurdles, made it to the final of the World Championships/Commonwealth Games etc. Also Rosaan Griffin, some of you may have heard of, 200 metre runner. Also was at the NJCAA Championships when Tim Montgomery broke the World Junior 100 metre record only to discover the track was 4 centimeters short. The record was declared null and void.

What about anyone else?

Must be a few people who put down there mouse and go out and do a few laps of the track.

10. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i used to be in cross country and track

i never had speed but i definitely had endurance.

jefhatfield, what exactly is the correct form? can you give us some tips so we don't ruin our knees?

11. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i am no expert...i can only see it when it's wrong...he he

when our coach ran by us, he had a such effortless, light step and sounded like the wind...the rest of us sounded like draft horses or ghengis khan invading a village...and he would yell at us ;)

mr. anderson is a runner and i know he knows the right form for middle and long distance and i hope he chimes in

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The light step is the key - try running while limiting the amount of time your foot touches the ground. It takes a lot of work, but not only will your speed increase, but you'll strengthen your legs as well.

As for today - warmed up a quick 1.5 miles in 10 minutes on the tread mill before going out to play ultimate frisbee for lunch. I was all over the field today, making a ton of defensive plays. Then while making a sprint to intercept the disc (I would have had it) I pulled my hamstring in my right leg - felt a little pop....I'm pissed, needless to say. I'll be out for a couple weeks.....:mad:

Never did much in school, but I've come to find out I'm a great sprinter......still the fastest on my team.

D

13. howard macrumors 68020

howard

hmm makes sense...next time i go running i'll pay attention to my step and see how i'm doing.

14. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

duke

get better soon and let the younguns do the sprints...;)

i am class of 82 also, like you i think...or close in there somewhere... and i just turned 40 two days ago

i think my mile time, if done today, would be over 8 minutes...providing i could even complete those 4 laps ;)

15. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Class of 82? Wow, I was class of '02...

Anyway, I ran XC for 4 years and track for 3 years in high school (senior year i bitched out....i was lazy and injured)

I ran my best times for the 5k as a sophomore, the only year i broke 20 minutes...after that my knees were pretty shot and it took until senior year to figure out why (turns out i had worn away all the cartilege in my knees, which explained the constant popping and pain when they bent) For track I ran the mile at first, then switched over to the 800 junior year, which i did better in, running in the 2:10s

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

well, as a 39 y.o. member of the class of '82, my mile is still below 6. I have plans on getting a sub 20 min 5k in the spring - its just that damn illusive sub 5 min mile that I'm still working on......hopefully next year as well ;)

I'm not out of shape or overweight, just a bit bulky - 6' 2" and 195lbs. That even puts my BMI at 25 which is officially obese, ha! :D If I shed 5 to 10 lbs I'll definitely have much better times.....now if I can only manage to keep my workouts regular.

D

17. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

that would be two great goals for your upcoming 40th

get bmi down a notch and break the five minute mile

if you were 40 yo 100 years ago or so and you broke the five minute mile, you would make it to the front page of the paper!!

old man discovers the fountain of youth and is candidate for us olympic team:p

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

if I get down under 5 min/mile I can't imagine I'd be 195 ;)

And BMI is a crock of bison dung as far as I'm concerned. There is no way I'm obese - it doesn't take into account muscles.....

D

19. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm glad u said that. I think it's too much of a focus to some, kinda like some people obsess over their weight without taking into consideration muscle.

I think I've seen some BMI scales that say I'm about 22%, which I think is a load of crap myself. ;)

20. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

at my height of fitness craziness, i got down to 23, but now i am a 27

but i wouldn't mind at all reaching 25...but bmi does not take into account body type

at 27 i look fatter...short neck and all, and short height, than some lean looking bmi types at 29 or 30 with a beer belly or thick muscles

21. howard macrumors 68020

howard

any number...weight or bmi is crap, you know if your fit and healthy, you know yourself...if its fat thats giving you high numbers or muscle. i don't see why a specific number should matter...just looking how you want to look and feeling how you want to feel.

imagine a person whos 6' 3'' and 150lbs and a person thats 5' 3'' and 150lbs...ones obese and ones skinny...

or maybe the 5' 3'' person is super ripped...you never know

22. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

Used to run in high school the 100, 200, 400, 100 hurdles and 4x100 relay.

Sadly my left hip flexor eventually gave up (I was sprinting with little to no practice before hand) and sprinting more than 200 these days leaves me in a lot of pain.

23. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

I ran in high school. I really miss it sometimes. I recently ran the rim trail in volcano national park, felt good to get out runing again.

I ran CC and track. Ran 800, 1mile, and 2 mile in track, and of course 3 miles in CC. I don't remember all my PRs but my 1 mile was 4:43 and 3 mile was 16:47. I had cronic "shin-splints" all 4 years that I learned were multiple stress fractures my sophmore year, but kept running on them. The radiologist didn't beleive I walked in the door let alone was winning races.

Its genetics not bad form that injures most athletes. I had a high tolerence for pain so I didn't know I had two broken legs, but my legs did break more easily than my team mates. Some guys can run their heart out and never get hurt. Others easily get hurt.

I still critque (in my head) runners I see out on the streets because there are a lot of people with bad form out there, but its pretty arrogant to claim everyone ahs bad form. Usually people just don't carry and move their arms and shoulders correctly. They'll have really sore necks shoulders and backs when they are done. As for a "light step" its pretty silly to try to tell people how to run over the internet. It takes years of training doing special exerices to get your legs moving perfectly, and I think its just dangerous to get anyone to try to run on their toes who isn't in peak performance. I think a better suggestion is simply to buy good shoes and buy them froma running store where they look at your runnning form and suggest a shoe taht will correct your deficiencies. Keep your arms down and moving (thumb should just brush above your waist). If you want to learn some exercises to improve your stride buy a book or find a coach. But the easiest way to stay healthy when running is simply to make sure you have good shoes, its not everything but its something easy to do that makes a big dfference (shoes should be replaced about every 500 miles!)

24. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

You're right, I also will see people running and immediately note whether or not they have good form, and if not, what they're doing wrong

25. job macrumors 68040

job

I'm running in High School right now.

I run a 4.4 40 Meter, a 35.5 300 Meter, a 51.0 open 400 Meter (but a 49.7 in the 4*400 relay) and a 2:00 flat for the 800 Meter.

I actually haven't timed the open 400 in a while, so I should be slightly faster. Here in Texas we actually train all year, even though our season starts in February.

When it comes to events, I usually run the third leg on the 4*200 Meter relay and either the fourth or third leg on the 4*400 Meter relay, depending on whether or not I run the open 400 Meter.

:D

I'm only second fastest on the team though. We have a guy who runs a 48.something in the 4*400 relay. He and I usually switch between the anchor spot for the 4*400 and third leg.

I'll have to scan some pictures and post them. :D

[p.s. great thread topic btw. i'm planning on running in college. both the university of chicago and georgetown university want me to run for them.]