Any unhappy switchers?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by psychofreak, Oct 18, 2006.

1. psychofreak Retired

May 16, 2006
    I know that OS X has many faults, but does anyone regret switching, or know someone who does?
  2. spicyapple macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    OSX has many faults? Care to share some of yours?
  3. akadmon macrumors 68010

Aug 30, 2006
    New England
    Well, for starters I drink too much wine...and beer...and hard liquor :D
  4. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Networking is my main bug-bear. It is, in my opinion, the only thing Windows does better. Being able to browse networked machines as if they were folders on my own computer is much easier than having to mount and unmount shared volumes individually to access them.

The centralised "Public" folder is no good either because if I want to share a file I have to copy it to that folder, not cool if it's a big file, because you can't share other folders.

It's the only thing I wish Apple would copy over from Windows to OSX. Everything else is great.
  5. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    Have you considered Sharity?

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Nope, it's shareware. What I'm asking for shouldn't cost a thing and should be built-in to the operating system. I'm not really worried (don't have to be when I'm not currently networked to anything) but I think Apple really need to re-examine how Macs network.
  7. beatsme macrumors 65816

Oct 6, 2005
    I agree. What would be nice is if the Mac and Active Directory got along as well as Active Directory and XP do, though I suppose that really has more to do with Microsoft...
  8. JHacker macrumors 6502

Aug 27, 2006
    East Coast
    When my girlfriend was here on my wireless network, I enabled sharing on both computers, and I very easily accessed my ENTIRE harddrive on her computer, applications and all.

I don't know what you mean that you can only use the public folders - I had my entire hard drive on her computer...
  9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

Nov 16, 2004
    I actually always thought networking was one of the Macintosh strong points. We've had very easy-to-configure networks since like the 80s. They always just work. So what if you have to mount and unmount remote drives... this isn't that much of a sacrifice to get always-working, easy to use networking.
  10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Jun 3, 2006
    One Nation Under Gordon
    I have no issues with OS X, although I think it's advantages are blown out of all proportion by the faithful here... but then of course it's to be expected. On the whole though, I really like OS X. I definitely feel as a personal productivity solution it's superior to Windows, especially if you're a stand-alone person (i.e. you work from home, you're student, etc).

I'm a stand-alone guy in that I work with a very small group of people, but extremely high-end in terms of IT provision. Networking, security, etc are important considerations and reliability is absolutely paramount.

My software bugbears with Apple network goes beyond Chundles' issues. I did think I could get around them, but generally speaking this is definitely one area where things don't 'just work' and it became very frustrating on some occasions. True, if you're Mac-only and don't have a clue how to network, there's little simpler than Macs. For the more 'enterprise' among us, the Mac is a tad broken. But the hardware ended up the real problem for me. Pretty and very competitively priced these days but in terms of reliability and service for my business use it is... well, crap.

For home use I don't think a Windows PC can touch a Mac, except if you're looking for a gaming machine (obviously) or a HTPC - where I think Windows ironically does things better, at least for now.
  11. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Agreed. Mac users were happily networking their computers and printers when Windows users thought that networks were NBC, CBS, and ABC. My God, Microsoft thinks that an IP-printer is a local! If you are having trouble networking your Mac, you are probably trying too hard.
  12. vansouza macrumors 68000

Mar 28, 2006
    West Plains, MO USA Earth
    no issues here

No regrets... my networking needs are a dream on this OS... much easier then what I have to do under XP... I might add over and over again...:D
  13. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Feb 23, 2006
    Finder has some quirks, like if an AFP network volume disappears it brings the whole system down, instead of giving you the option to disconnect it like a SMB share.
  14. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    I've learnt OS X networking the hard way, setting up my Mac office, but love it. I find it superior to Windows in every way.

The only people I've encountered who claim to 'regret' using a Mac are the ones who think it's somehow cool to slate them.
  15. cbougher macrumors member

Oct 19, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I bought a macbook pro but my wife and kids still use a dell with xp. I also am forced to use a dell with xp for work. I use the macbook for personal use and for school (bscs). I much prefer the macbook for everything. The only problem I have had was connecting to a printer connected to the dell. I can't blame this on Apple though because I think the problem is the drivers supplied by Lexmark only work when the printer is locally attached. I went ahead and bought another printer to use with the macbook since they are so cheap and the Lexmark was dated anyway. I'm glad I switched and i plan to replace the dell with an imac or mini within a year.
  16. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Feb 23, 2006
    Unless you got the Dell lappy for free from work, you could probably pull off using Bootcamp or Parallels for work.

Otherwise, free laptops from work are awesome.
  17. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

May 28, 2005
    The need to fix the freakin finder already. Please, I'd like a cut feature, and when you copy one folder to a place that has the same folder, it ADDS the files into the folder instead of deleting and then moving the folder.

That's all to make it just as good as XP (excluding spyware and what have you).
  18. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    All OSes have their flaws, mostly subtle. But I do agree on this one. I've used Macs for years and years and years and still the zoom button makes little sense to me.
  19. ddekker macrumors regular

Sep 23, 2006

well... I don't regret it, I haven't fully switched, I still fall back to other os's when I have a task I need done that is either impossible or impractical on OS X... I started a website that is 100% about things I run into that make switching hard... I use/used OS X server until going to Linux... I use windows for a living at work, I enjoy the apple for some of the audio video things ... I'm glad they are around to help drive others to either inovate or imitate... read some of my site and see some of my troubles, trust me, I still have multiple apples and don't intend on getting rid of them, but I also don't think that everything about them is the greatest... between Windows; OS X; and Linux they all have their strong points and weak points...

20. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2006
    my only unhappiness is that I cant switch my brain over as easy/fast as i did the 'puter. :p
  21. nhamze macrumors member

Jul 8, 2005
    Hartford, SD
    The only thing that I don't like is now I have too much free time. I use to have to spend all my time reinstalling windows hehe :)
  22. kalun macrumors regular

Sep 13, 2006
    I am pretty happy with OS X, it is a nice OS, extremely userfriendly! Setup network takes almost no effort (for those who complain, try windows 95, then you will know the real pain).

The only complain I have is games! Games generally perform better in Windows than OS X.
  23. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

Aug 17, 2005
    Springfield Ohio
    im loving tiger(even tho its on a old unsupported Mac),

the only thing that makes me mad is tiger refuses to work properly with my Pioneer DVR-110D. the drive worked great in OS 9.2.2 and 10.2-10.2.8. the drive is very unstable in tiger 10-4-10.4.7. the 10.4.8 update made it at least work good enough so i can play dvd movies and audio cd's without stalling out ( it does still some times take a trip) but i still have to boot into tiger with a disk in the drive in order for it to mount the disk (if i dont the disk will some times never mount). never had this problem in OS 9.2.2 or jag.

other than that tiger is working great on my system