Any Updates Expected in iPod Mini before November?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tsk, Jul 20, 2005.

1. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

As soon as the new iBooks are out, I plan to pick up an iBook and iPod Mini. I'm thinking the iPod mini would make a great gift for my daughter's birthday in November.

So I don't mind getting the Mini now and hanging onto it for 3 months. But, if there's going to be an update (like color screens for instance), I'd probably get the silver model (and obviously not engrave it to my daughter ;)) and eBay it so I could repurchase later.

Unfortunately, it seems that the buyers guide lumps the Mini in with the regular iPod.

2. Tahko macrumors regular

I really don't get the fact that some people wait for iPod updates.. :confused:

3. tsk thread starter macrumors 6502a

tsk

What's not to get?

I get an iPod free now with an iBook purchase, but my daughter's birthday isn't for 3 months. No sense getting it now if something cooler is available when I need it.

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

How about you get it now since its free. In 3 months if there is something cooler buy it and sell the iPod Mini. If not, give her the Mini.

5. tsk thread starter macrumors 6502a

tsk

Well, first, if I wait until something better is out and sell it, I'm not going to get that good a price am I?

Second, if I get it for my daughter's birthday, I would get it engraved for her. That's not going to be good for resale.

6. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Well then take your chances because nobody knows if there will be an update and when.

7. djkny macrumors 6502

But it's FREE, now. Crystal clear to me. Get the iPod mini FREE w/o engraving, hold onto it for 3 months, then if a V-pod is in the pipeline, sell the iPod mini and get at least 85-90% of its original cost.

A note concerning those engravings -- they actually look tacky and wear off easily. I'd invest in an old fashioned hand-written card that will be infinitely more precious for her in the future. :)

8. tsk thread starter macrumors 6502a

tsk

Ahhh, really. Well, that's good to know. I'll see if I can find any friends with an engraved Mini. They seem to look nice when you're given the option to put them on.