Any Vegetarians Here?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cslewis, Jan 26, 2006.

1. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

I was wondering... have any MR members eschewed the consumption meat, eggs, or milk? Are you a lacto-ovo vegetarian? A lacto? An ovo? Do you eat fish? Do you refuse to eat red meat? Are you just an occasional meat-eater? In short, what diet (or dietary restrictions) have you chosen for yourself?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm lacto-ovo... Mostly lacto-. I don't have egg that often, although I guess I eat some baked things that have eggs in them, like sweets. I occasionally make exceptions, but very occasionally. I tried to go vegan once, but I don't feel like doing it until I have better access to good organic groceries...

3. David L. macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm, are you serious or joking? That book seems to get good reviews, but from what I know about biology ... what does blood type have to do with diet? :eek:

I think that there are individual differences in biochemistry that argue for different diets in different people...I just... I have no idea why blood type would be a biomarker for such an underlying process.

5. Halsey12 macrumors regular

Almost 10 years vegan now. The girlfriend is too. She wears leather shoes still, I do not even wear wool.

6. cslewis thread starter macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Why is it that vegans don't wear wool? I mean, I fully understand and support their aim to prevent physical pain or suffering to an animal, but what's so bad about wool? Shearing a sheep doesn't physically hurt it, right? I'm not being rude at all, I'm just curious about this whole idea.

7. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I was vegan for 7 years, got my shoes from the lovely Vegan Shoe Shop in Brighton etc.

Then last year my darling daughter was born. Having a baby sucks up your time and attention like nothing on earth.

So I decided to go back to being veggie. Really needed the energy from cheeses and diary products. Didn't have the time any more to go shopping for nice vegan foods or cook my new family nice high-energy vegan meals.

I don't really pay much attention to all that ovo-pisco stuff - makes a simple thing over-complex.

Note 1. To these thinking about going veggie / vegan - it's much easier if you can manage to live with people who are already veggie / vegan.

Note 2. To those who think vegans have restricted diets - I love variety. I guess I ate a new kind of vegan food or cooked myself something new practically every other day for these 7 years.

Note 3. Suprised it hasn't already been mentioned here, but Steve Jobs is a well know hardcore vegan (+ fish) guy.

Note 4. For these who think vegan is extreme - for me the real extreme are people like the indian Jains, who only eat foodstuffs that can be harvested without killing the plants they come from. (e.g. fruit, grains, etc.)

I admire them, but I couldn't do it, and I also thank them for making me seem like a safe middle of the road, mainstream conservative eater by comparision :)

When we had the BSE / Mad Cow scares here in the UK, they offered to pay for all our condemmed cows to be shipped alive over to India where they would be looked after for the rest of their natural lives.

Note 5. I love numbered notes :)

Note 6. My younger brother, who has been veggie most of his life, far longer than me, only eats meat or fish that he has personally killed and prepared. I respect and admire that stand.

He goes out shooting for rabbits on the moors in Cornwall (extreme southwest of the UK) and last year he brought a bow and arrow off eBay - I'm not sure if he's actually managed to shoot anything with it yet :)

cheers

.. RedTomato ..

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I respect that gangsta'. To me, the biggest issue with meat is not eating animal flesh, but supporting farming of animals. I don't really have that much of a problem with, say, people hunting deer and eating it. That way, the animals are allowed to live out the natural course of their lives (since being prey is also a natural part of their lives), and don't have to be put in cages or restricted in other ways that farms do. I think there could be a "good" farm, but it's not easily achieved....

9. zim macrumors 65816

zim

my wife and i are both vegetarians but we eat fish like once or twice ever few months so to be correct we are fishatarians or pescatarians. neither name, fishatarian or pescatarian, seems to register with people so to simplify things and avoid explanation we typically just say we are vegetarians.

10. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

*waves hand in air*

ooo, me! me! I'm a veggie!!

been a veggie for more than a year.

11. Vster macrumors 6502

I've been eating a modified vegan diet or a little over 2 weeks. I don't eat any animal products or anything that is processed, no caffeine, and no alcohol I only drink water and eat almost all organic fruits and vegetables. But what's modified is that 85% of the food that I do eat is raw, and I eat cooked foods only at dinner time.

I'm really glad that I started to eat a vegan diet because I have to dissect cadavers at my Chiropractic college, and it's not pretty. I've also learned a lot about the effect of pesticides and processed foods in my classes have on the body.

Also, I've noticed a tremendous increase in energy. (I don't need a nap in the middle of the day anymore!)

:)

12. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Vege for around 38yrs,I also have no problem with those that kill animals then eat them.I do have a little milk sometimes and have caught and eaten fish once.I also have a dodgy liver(alcohol) and the first thing they told me was no red meat or shellfish.The meat farming industry makes me sad(I've experienced it at first hand).

13. rockandrule macrumors 6502

I am a vegetarian! As well as my girlfriend. We will be going vegan once we move out of the dorms here at UNF. It's a little hard to cook when you don't have an oven. We don't wear any animals nor use any byproducts in our lifestyle. If anyone is looking for some comfortable as hell vegan shoes, check out the Vans Rowley line. He is a vegan and his shoes are too. (haha, the Mactel commercial is on as I type this) We have just started a V.E.G.A.N.S. group (Vegetarians Educating for the Good of Animals, Nature, and Society) here on campus and we're preparing for our second year.

14. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Hopefully non-offensive question... But may I ask why? Any reason in particular? Like not liking the taste of meat? Killing animals?

I don't eat that much meat myself, but thats just because I like veggies to be the filler in my foods, and meat to be a little extra (For example, I wouldn't eat steak+steak sauce as a meal... Its just meat on a plate :eek: )
    But I don't avoid it, its just the way I like my food... But I've always wondered why others do it... Any one care to fill me in? :eek:

15. muffinman macrumors 6502

muffinman

ive been a vegetarian (eggs and milk) for almost all my life. i recently ( a year a go) stopped being a vegetarian, cause i needed to get protien. and cause i found out how good meat was,....:D

16. muffinman macrumors 6502

muffinman

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

18. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

I was a vegetarian- for over eight years. Now I eat some fish and poultry- red meat just doesn't appeal to me any more.

Diet is a funny thing- choices in diet influence and reflect-
    health
    attitude
    morality
    economy

and more. Very much like shopping at Wal Mart.

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'm a vege too but a fair amateur - 2 years and counting :). Approached it similarly to Redtomato's brother. Decided that I'd could only morally resound eating fish/animals I killed myself.

Since then I've never looked back - haven't had the slightest craving for meat. Bizarre considering I thought it would be a difficult transition and that meat was ingrained in my psyche. Funnily enough it seems to be something relatively easily discarded.

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm not a vegetarian... I just don't eat meat. :D

21. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

yup, going on 6 years now. But I enjoy pizza & beer way to much to go vegan.

22. kewpid macrumors regular

Although shearing wool doesn't hurt the sheep, the way they are raised on farms requires some practices such as mulesing which can be incredibly painful and cruel.

23. myshoeshurt macrumors regular

myshoeshurt

I'm a lactose-intolerant vegetarian. I eat eggs... and that's the furthest I stretch!

24. myshoeshurt macrumors regular

myshoeshurt

Yeah... I became vegetarian just under a year ago. I thought it would be so hard... like I'd go through withdrawal or something. But it was the opposite! I had this whole new awakening, and have become a happier more rational person because of it. Drastic changes in diet really can make huge psychological changes. But yeah, it was actually very easy. And now I can no longer imagine eating a piece of steak... tearing into that flesh--OKAY I'll stop.