Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'd like to do it but bacon and chicken have me by my balls. I can and do live without beef, lamb, fish etc. It's just them first 2 :eek:

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
And the answer to that is:

"No, but only because it's illegal"

Funnily enough I don't think I'd have a problem with cannibalism if it came to it, human flesh does not have me recoil in the same way animal flesh does.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
We're all just bags of meat.

One of the things that helped me become a vegetarian is the fact I find it very hard to touch raw meat. I've no problem with uncooked bacon, sausages of anything cooked. Even a raw chicken breast is 'okay'. It's larger cuts of meat, especially on the bone and with skin.

Every time I touch a chicken or turkey that's dead and still has skin I think of the last time I saw my mother the night she died. Saying goodbye to her cold lifeless body.:(

Wouldn't have been so bad if she'd not been wearing the chicken suit I guess!
That's a joke, probably inappropriate though.
chicken_suit_costume.jpg

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I don't know about the organic certification in other countries, but in Australia it guarantees that the the animal had as good a life as possible before it was humanely killed.

I'm not so certain about that, mate. You may want to look into what is accounted for in the certification processes. :eek:

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
I've been vegetarian for a little over two years, though I once accidentally ate ground beef when it was mixed with mashed potatoes and I was told it was a vegetarian dish... :rolleyes:

For special dinners, I particularly enjoy baked tofu with a blend of Asian sauces covered with assorted diced peppers and a drop of olive oil. Stuffed peppers are also pretty high on my list of delicious foods.

Living with three carnivorous engineers, I typically take a lot of flack about being vegetarian, so I've sort of developed a sense of humour about it. People only really bug me when they are blatantly and willfully being ignorant cretins, or especially if they somehow take offence to me declining to eat meat (people like that actually exist).

This is probably one of the funniest things I've ever encountered on the Internet: http://www.weebls-stuff.com/wab/hams/ I'm not sure why I find it so funny, but I almost fall out of my chair laughing every time I watch it :p

CRAZYBUBBA

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Toronto/Houston
One of the things that helped me become a vegetarian is the fact I find it very hard to touch raw meat. I've no problem with uncooked bacon, sausages of anything cooked. Even a raw chicken breast is 'okay'. It's larger cuts of meat, especially on the bone and with skin.

I actually love cleaning the fat off meat before cooking it for the family. I myself am vegetarian though. As good as some foods are I'm always reminded that i had to kill something to enjoy the meal, it's not a good feeling.

ivan1234

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2007
Iam in the transition process, my meals now consist a lot more if not only vegetables now.. I used to eat about 50% meat and 50% vegetables, now my diet is more like 25/75 :D

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
Data, please?
This was a mistake on my part in that I did not preface that statement with "In my experience." It is not just a random opinion though but one based on an informed history and a lot of experience. Although I gave it up on simple logical grounds, I have been a vegetarian for large periods of my life, have lived with many vegetarian and vegan vegetarian people and most of my friends and acquaintances today are also vegetarians of one kind or another. So this part is more of an "informed opinion" based on nearly fifty years of living and experiencing vegetarian lifestyles.

Incorrect. The "higher" on the food chain you eat, the more resources it takes to produce what you consume. You may not be able to eliminate killing to survive, but you are able to reduce and minimize your impact. While "guiltless" is impossible to achieve, eating vegetarian or vegan reduces your environmental impact, and the volume of resources necessary to ensure your survival. You directly reduce the "unethical" damage you cause, and you indirectly increase the survival of organisms lower on the food chain by increases the resources available to them.
Here you are kind of switching the ground of the argument a bit in that I said the ethical argument of "not eating stuff with faces" was specious. You have presented an alternative ethical argument here (resources) that I hadn't thought of. So I would say my first argument is still right, but I agree with you that it is more ethical to use less resources.

But as you kind of say here:
I feel better knowing that I have minimized the amount of destruction I cause to survive as reasonably as I can (although it's not an ethical question for me anyways).
This can be viewed as more of a logical argument than an ethical one.

What's better, drinking the baby formula for an animal that grows up to be hundreds of pounds, or eating a food item that you yourself have described as part of our "natural" diet? Is this is a trick question?
Here I was trying to reply to that question that Vegetarians often throw in peoples faces about meat and dairy products. Perhaps this wasn't entirely fair, but then I find the references they make kind of insulting also.

People (vegetarians) that I know are prone to say stuff like "You know there's feces in that hamburger don't you?" or "You know there's pus and blood in your milk don't you?" as a way to shock and a way to say that the product is "gross." The implication is that munching on carrots and drinking juice is somehow "not gross" or much healthier for you as a result.

I was trying to make the point, (perhaps in the wrong way), that this is not true. i.e. - there are as many bugs and feces in vegetables and fruits as there is feces and pus in milk and meat. There is "junk" in everything and animal products in almost everything.

I just think the rational approach is to see ourselves as the omnivorous animals we are and not give people too much hassle over eating meats and dairy when the obvious facts are that this is part of the "natural" human diet and very good for you.

You don't go into this point, but part of my zeal with this issue comes from the fact that I *do* know quite a few people who have tried veganism and if you truly eschew all meat, dairy, fish, etc. you have to eat carefully to maintain health. Many people seem to like the ideal but lack the discipline to carry it off. Thus, a lot of really skinny, pale unhealthy people.

It's probably true that the root cause however is not just veganism itself, but really the faulty implementation of veganism by people who's desire to be healthy is not matched by their knowledge or skill at maintaining a diet.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
This was a mistake on my part in that I did not preface that statement with "In my experience." It is not just a random opinion though but one based on an informed history and a lot of experience. Although I gave it up on simple logical grounds, I have been a vegetarian for large periods of my life, have lived with many vegetarian and vegan vegetarian people and most of my friends and acquaintances today are also vegetarians of one kind or another. So this part is more of an "informed opinion" based on nearly fifty years of living and experiencing vegetarian lifestyles.

Then on a purely personal level, I'm inclined to disagree with you. Many of my vegan and vegetarians friends, like myself, are quite athletic. I'm at the gym three times a week, during the summer I'm very active outdoors with my friends playing games and sports, and I'm capable of running a half and likely full marathon. Of my friends, my veg*n friends are the most in-shape, healthy and active, even including my non-vegan gym-heavy friends.

But I think that's just a matter of experience and circumstance. I would say that while a vegan diet reduces your chances of a lot of excess-related illnesses, but can increase a lot of deficient-related illnesses. Any diet can be unhealthy if done improperly or if you don't include regular exercise.

Personally, I don't think a vegan diet is the healthiest. I think a pescetarian diet (vegetarian + fish) is the healthiest, as fish is an excellent and nutritious source of lean protein.

Here you are kind of switching the ground of the argument a bit in that I said the ethical argument of "not eating stuff with faces" was specious. You have presented an alternative ethical argument here (resources) that I hadn't thought of. So I would say my first argument is still right, but I agree with you that it is more ethical to use less resources.

But as you kind of say here:

This can be viewed as more of a logical argument than an ethical one.

That's because I don't really agree with the "not eating stuff with faces" argument. I presented an alternate ethical (and I will admit it's much more logically grounded) argument. This was my primary reason for going veg*n.

Here I was trying to reply to that question that Vegetarians often throw in peoples faces about meat and dairy products. Perhaps this wasn't entirely fair, but then I find the references they make kind of insulting also.

People (vegetarians) that I know are prone to say stuff like "You know there's feces in that hamburger don't you?" or "You know there's pus and blood in your milk don't you?" as a way to shock and a way to say that the product is "gross." The implication is that munching on carrots and drinking juice is somehow "not gross" or much healthier for you as a result.

I was trying to make the point, (perhaps in the wrong way), that this is not true. i.e. - there are as many bugs and feces in vegetables and fruits as there is feces and pus in milk and meat. There is "junk" in everything and animal products in almost everything.

I totally agree. I disagree strongly with a lot of the positions and attitudes some of my more "militant" friends employ. Out of the hundred plus veg*ns I know, I actually only know three or four who take the emotional hard-line approach. I myself refuse to go to protests and disagree with an in-your-face approach. I'm interested in information and education, which is why I volunteer at a quiet resource centre where interested parties can come for information, not propaganda.

I just think the rational approach is to see ourselves as the omnivorous animals we are and not give people too much hassle over eating meats and dairy when the obvious facts are that this is part of the "natural" human diet and very good for you.

I would have to disagree. I don't think we're truly omnivorous, I don't think the biological evidence is there to support that idea. I think our natural diet looks like the diet of many primates, and that we'd be considered more frugivorous than anything. The distinction isn't really that large, however, and the definition of frugivore states "primarily" as opposed to "exclusively". Naturally we'd eat meat, but very very tiny amounts. (I just don't think this is sustainable with our current lifestyles).

You don't go into this point, but part of my zeal with this issue comes from the fact that I *do* know quite a few people who have tried veganism and if you truly eschew all meat, dairy, fish, etc. you have to eat carefully to maintain health. Many people seem to like the ideal but lack the discipline to carry it off. Thus, a lot of really skinny, pale unhealthy people.

It's probably true that the root cause however is not just veganism itself, but really the faulty implementation of veganism by people who's desire to be healthy is not matched by their knowledge or skill at maintaining a diet.

I agree. (I think everyone should eat carefully though.)

I think we largely share the same opinions, but are coming from different positions.

mediumofmeaning

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
NJ
sorry i missed this thread. oh well. i've been vegan for 5 years, and with a little effort don't have too much trouble putting on lean muscle and maintaining a reasonable build and low body fat. I'll take a vegan creatine, a pre-workout supplement maybe. But usually just a vegan rice protein, which is pretty good. the key is just to eating consistently and sufficiently -- the past 2-4 months i've barely hit the gym, and don't eat enough just out of being lazy so that's what brings problems for me, i probably lost about 5-10 lbs (~170-175). im about to change that though.

I don't consider myself an athlete, but nevertheless am usually in pretty good shape and exercise either for pleasure or for work in the summer (beach patrol). happy to see a couple vegs round here.

there is a good vegan fitness community at veganbodybuilding.com.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
Yes, absolutely. I have been all my life. Used to eat eggs, but now I'm a lacto-vegetarian. Yes to milk products, no to egg products. It's a religious (and by extension, ethical) thing for me.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Yes, absolutely. I have been all my life. Used to eat eggs, but now I'm a lacto-vegetarian. Yes to milk products, no to egg products. It's a religious (and by extension, ethical) thing for me.

im curious about the eggs if you dont mind my asking. most eggs are unfertilized and also probably the best source of proteins and amino acids you can get get from one source

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
im curious about the eggs if you dont mind my asking. most eggs are unfertilized and also probably the best source of proteins and amino acids you can get get from one source

Don't mind at all. Yeah, eggs are a good source of proteins and amino acids, but a balanced diet without eggs can still get all the AA's you need (actually, rice + beans, the common Indian combo, will get you everything you need).

So why I stopped...So my dad and I always get into these philosophical conversations. And one of his favorite topics is vegetarianism. And about 10 years ago, he had an oft-repeated argument about how awful it is to eat eggs, even if they are unfertilized. He cited that the chicken sits on this egg under the impression that it is giving birth to a child, and instead, it is just giving birth to food. Anyway, my dad is a very convincing person, and I started feeling more and more guilty.

The irony of this is that he eats eggs on occasion, and will definitely eat things with eggs in them. And in fact, the precipitating event at which I disavowed the eating of eggs happened when he was cooking omelets (which is rather rare in our house, because while the rest of my family will eat eggs, they don't eat them very often). I rejected my omelet and he got mad because he'd already made it!

Ever since, he has been trying to convince me to eat eggs again and bemoaning his tremendous power of influence.

All that said...I don't know enough of about the psychology of chickens to know if his argument holds up, but it seems reasonable enough to me, and what's more, the egg is still meat, it's still flesh, more or less, and so for a vegetarian, it seems like an odd thing to eat. My family has been vegetarian back into the shrouded annals of history, and traditionally eating eggs would be prohibited.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
Don't mind at all. Yeah, eggs are a good source of proteins and amino acids, but a balanced diet without eggs can still get all the AA's you need (actually, rice + beans, the common Indian combo, will get you everything you need).

So why I stopped...So my dad and I always get into these philosophical conversations. And one of his favorite topics is vegetarianism. And about 10 years ago, he had an oft-repeated argument about how awful it is to eat eggs, even if they are unfertilized. He cited that the chicken sits on this egg under the impression that it is giving birth to a child, and instead, it is just giving birth to food. Anyway, my dad is a very convincing person, and I started feeling more and more guilty.

The irony of this is that he eats eggs on occasion, and will definitely eat things with eggs in them. And in fact, the precipitating event at which I disavowed the eating of eggs happened when he was cooking omelets (which is rather rare in our house, because while the rest of my family will eat eggs, they don't eat them very often). I rejected my omelet and he got mad because he'd already made it!

Ever since, he has been trying to convince me to eat eggs again and bemoaning his tremendous power of influence.

All that said...I don't know enough of about the psychology of chickens to know if his argument holds up, but it seems reasonable enough to me, and what's more, the egg is still meat, it's still flesh, more or less, and so for a vegetarian, it seems like an odd thing to eat. My family has been vegetarian back into the shrouded annals of history, and traditionally eating eggs would be prohibited.

From an animal rights perspective, there's a greater issue with eggs than that. Male chicks that result from the breeding of new laying hens don't have the metabolic rate or genetic traits 'necessary' to be raised as edible chickens. As a result, they are simply thrown out. The body count is pretty obscene, as approximately 50% of laying chicks are male.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
From an animal rights perspective, there's a greater issue with eggs than that. Male chicks that result from the breeding of new laying hens don't have the metabolic rate or genetic traits 'necessary' to be raised as edible chickens. As a result, they are simply thrown out. The body count is pretty obscene, as approximately 50% of laying chicks are male.

OK, there you go. Now I have better justification. Thanks! :)

quixotic

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Yep, vegan. So is my wife and our dog (for the most part). I think the thing that most impresses non-vegans is how quickly I can read ingredient lists on packages; that and the fact I drink beer and make really good vegan cheeseburgers and milkshakes (who says you can't get fat and eat like crap on a vegan diet?)

mediumofmeaning

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
NJ
I think the thing that most impresses non-vegans is how quickly I can read ingredient lists on packages; that and the fact I drink beer and make really good vegan cheeseburgers and milkshakes (who says you can't get fat and eat like crap on a vegan diet?)

Yeah, I know what you mean. I can spot a vegan label from 100 yards out. I'm not extremely strict (as in, I eat bread that might have milk in it, veggie burgers that aren't vegan, dont hassle waiters to check what looks like it's obviously vegan), but after a few years, I think you just gain an intuitive sense of what's vegan and what's not, as well as a massive database in your head.

and thats true, you can definitely eat like shhhhhhht on a vegan diet. back at home the majority of my friends are veg or vegan and only a few actually have a decent diet. youth and its virtues.

no beer here though, i've abstained from drugs and alcohol for about 5 years. i don't even know why anymore, but i do. maybe so i can save that oxy money and put it towards technology

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.