Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I was raised vegetarian until, for health reasons, my parents began eating Chicken and beef, et al, a few years back - I'm 25 now - and I started out (first time ever having meat) with a BLT. I was sold.

The biggest thing I'm concerned with is *how the stuff was raised:* In good conscience I can't support those farms that treat their animals so stinkin' awful.

I'm not what you would consider a meat-eater, though. And when I do eat meat I'm generally very very picky about it. I still consider myself mostly vegetarian, if that's possible.

Grilled stuff is soooo good...

protozoa

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
Isla Sorna
< I have been a vegetarian since 1997.

I started out as mostly just a picky eater. Seafood always made me ill. Crisp bacon and lean beef were pretty much the only meats I had eaten in years. So, the jump to full vegetarianism wasn't a big one. At the time, it didn't have much to do with a sense of humanitarianism; but over time I have added that to my reasoning.

martychang

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
Not to troll, but reading this thread made me realize that I might be the only person I know who ONLY(well, 99%) eats meat. I've always been a picky eater, I basically dislike all vegetables, I'm allergic to every fruit I've ever tried, and mozarella is the only cheese that doesn't make me sick on contact. I eat a fair amount of bread, but usually with some kind of meat. Cereal is I think the only meatless thing I eat...

Without meat I'd literally be eating cereal and loaves of bread. Not even cereal though, need milk for that! :eek:

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Not to troll, but reading this thread made me realize that I might be the only person I know who ONLY(well, 99%) eats meat. I've always been a picky eater, I basically dislike all vegetables, I'm allergic to every fruit I've ever tried, and mozarella is the only cheese that doesn't make me sick on contact. I eat a fair amount of bread, but usually with some kind of meat. Cereal is I think the only meatless thing I eat...

Without meat I'd literally be eating cereal and loaves of bread. Not even cereal though, need milk for that! :eek:

Beware... Or, if it's because of allergies and such, get supplements (vitamins, etc) because what you're doing is not healthy at all...

Me? I eat pretty much everything, except cabbage and cauliflower. I LOVE a good ratatouille, but I also eat a t least once a week a good huge kebab "solo carne". And as I still think I don't eat well enough, I take supplements (multivitamin and Omega 3, mostly)

Son of Matrix

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
Vegetarian since 1997

Hi guys/girls,

I have been vegetarian for 10 years plus now. I can't be a vegan because can't live without cheese especially Italian spaghetti with cheese. :(

Happy to have this thread!

Thank you

Chromako

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2007
The Wired
getting a balanced diet is a challenge...
been mostly veggy for three years... my general policy is philosophically based and excludes vertebrates being that I read in a science journal that emotion and pain had a start in the brain stem, meaning, vertebrates. Which is my reason. I don't really have an issue with those lacking a central nervous system... just my take on the subject, eh?

quixotic

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Hi guys/girls,

I have been vegetarian for 10 years plus now. I can't be a vegan because can't live without cheese especially Italian spaghetti with cheese. :(

Happy to have this thread!

Thank you

Yeah, cheese and eggs where the hardest. I was addicted to cheese. I could eat a block of New York extra sharp cheddar in one sitting.

I also love to cook, and I spent forever perfecting my fettucini alfredo well before being vegan, same with various souffles. I've never been able to make a good substitute for either. Though now I'm really proud of my vegan "meat" and "cheese" manicotti which even the hard core meaties will devour.

That said... best vegan cheeses? Sheese and tofutti singles. Sheese is hard to find, you can order it online though, or if you're lucky enough to live in Portland, OR you can go to FoodFight (an all vegan grocery store!) and pick it up.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I've considered going vegetarian but never have. Meat is just too good to pass up when someone's grilling it.

I do eat veggie meals quite often. I've recently eaten veggie pizzas and subs, and frequently get veggie meals at restaurants. When I eat a big meaty meal I just feel too full and like I need to take a nap. Eating veggie feels so much healthier and energizing. Plus there's more room for dessert ;)

I also am trying to take in less dairy and eggs. Milk grosses me out when I think about it, and butter can be replaced with olive oil and often nothing at all. Sometimes I can eat eggs (usually need a lot of orange juice to go along with it) but other times I can't. I guess it depends on my mood.

Meats I couldn't live without every once in a while:
  • Hotdogs grilled on an open camp fire
  • Steak with a beer
  • Juicy hamburger with all the toppings
  • Pepperoni pizza from Donatos
  • Chicken quesadilla
  • Homemade kielbasa (family tradition)

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
That said... best vegan cheeses? Sheese and tofutti singles. Sheese is hard to find, you can order it online though, or if you're lucky enough to live in Portland, OR you can go to FoodFight (an all vegan grocery store!) and pick it up.

Have you ever tried Vegan Gourmet? I like it better than Sheesh for cooking, and the "Mozarella" makes a mean grilled "cheese". Sheese works best on cold sammiches, though.

quixotic

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2003
San Francisco, CA
It's nice to see so many non-vegetarians/vegans on this thread, I'm damn impressed.

Those of you who really want to go veggie, don't worry, you'll find other things to like, such as Tofurky kielbasas (taste great grilled) and slow-smoked slabs of marinated seitan. It's not the taste you're giving up.

Have you ever tried Vegan Gourmet? I like it better than Sheesh for cooking, and the "Mozarella" makes a mean grilled "cheese". Sheese works best on cold sammiches, though.

Last time I had it, it was straight from the fridge, and it had this sorta gritty texture to it (not sure that's the best way to describe it). I should have tried it hot, maybe I'll give it another shot, your the second person who swears by it. Plus it's easier to find, and I'm a sucker for grilled cheese :D

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
Last time I had it, it was straight from the fridge, and it had this sorta gritty texture to it (not sure that's the best way to describe it). I should have tried it hot, maybe I'll give it another shot, your the second person who swears by it. Plus it's easier to find, and I'm a sucker for grilled cheese :D

It gets gritty if it's not fresh anymore, and that happens pretty quickly once it's been opened. Slice off the gritty exterior if it has one.

Son of Matrix

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
Yeah, cheese and eggs where the hardest. I was addicted to cheese. I could eat a block of New York extra sharp cheddar in one sitting.

I also love to cook, and I spent forever perfecting my fettucini alfredo well before being vegan, same with various souffles. I've never been able to make a good substitute for either. Though now I'm really proud of my vegan "meat" and "cheese" manicotti which even the hard core meaties will devour.

Thanks for the tip! It's easier nowadays because I just got a vegetarian girlfriend... first time, I have a vegetarian girlfriend...makes going out really easy...hahaha...you guys should give a vegetarian partner a try... i used to have meat eating girlfriends..and the recent ex was 'culture-shocked' and making all sorts of funny comments about vegetarian... anyway, am glad that it's all over now...she even asked me whether she can hold meat barbeques party at the back of our garden if we get married because she really likes it...hahahha...man! no need to put up with that anymore...

Guys..would be interesting to hear your stories too..haha

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
Thanks for the tip! It's easier nowadays because I just got a vegetarian girlfriend... first time, I have a vegetarian girlfriend...makes going out really easy...hahaha...you guys should give a vegetarian partner a try... i used to have meat eating girlfriends..and the recent ex was 'culture-shocked' and making all sorts of funny comments about vegetarian... anyway, am glad that it's all over now...she even asked me whether she can hold meat barbeques party at the back of our garden if we get married because she really likes it...hahahha...man! no need to put up with that anymore...

Guys..would be interesting to hear your stories too..haha

There are vegetarian social groups all over the place, I suspect there's one in most major cities. There's a pretty active group in Toronto with sub-groups, including one for people in their 20s.

tip

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2006
Vegetarian for the past eight years. The only thing stopping me from being vegan is my love for cheese. I can't give it up. :)

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
I can't really see the appeal in making a big deal over it all, I just don't eat meat because I don't want to.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
My wife is Vegan, she has been one for almost a year now. Something that I am looking for for her is a recipe program for her Mac. She currently just has one long textedit document that has all the recipes she likes. Any idea's?

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
My wife is Vegan, she has been one for almost a year now. Something that I am looking for for her is a recipe program for her Mac. She currently just has one long textedit document that has all the recipes she likes. Any idea's?

well hypercard would have been perfect :)

i just keep recipes in separate text files and they all have file names start with recipe - then i use spotlight to find what i'm looking for

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
I'm a vegetarian. :)

One of my favorite veg foods used to be seitan, but now I have a wheat allergy. I'm so sad panda.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
well hypercard would have been perfect :)

i just keep recipes in separate text files and they all have file names start with recipe - then i use spotlight to find what i'm looking for

I got her MacGourmet. She really likes it, and is digging the Nutrition Plugin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.