any watch afficianados or collectors around?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gwuMACaddict, Nov 17, 2003.

1. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

I have been collecting fine watches for going on 5 years now. Just wondering if anyone else got as exicted about fine watches as i do?

:)

2. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

I love watches, but I don't have the cash around to keep buying them (and replacing them when they're lost or broken). I have my eye on a really cool Hamilton, but it costs too much for me to justify.

Not sure if I would consider myself an afficianados or collectors, but watches are one of my favorite things to get as gifts or to buy for myself

The coolest watch I've ever seen was a Swatch where the numbers around the outside moved instead of the hands, kinda hard to imagine without seeing it, but it was awesome.

3. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Re: any watch afficianados or collectors around?

I think watch people and calculator people are sorta alike. They all marvel at what each other's respective products can do...mine can play games..mine can surf the internet.

I retort with the following to people who talk about their watches, or their calculators:

*pointing to my cellphone* but can your watch or your cellphone make phone calls?

;)

4. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I have been collecting watches, not necessarily "fine" watches. I wish I could afford to collect Piaget, Baume&Mercier, Longines, JaegerLecoultre, etc. but don't really have the funds right now.

Since I work for a watch company I have an extensive collection of watches, of which the most expensive watches are a Zodiac and a Panerai. Other than that I have dozens of watches from Armani, Diesel, Swatch,Fossil, Philippe Starck, Paul Franck, Burberry, DKNY, Cole Haan, Alessi, etc.

I don't necessarily collect them, but instead I like the way they look or the functions they have and then wear the heck out of them.

5. gwuMACaddict thread starter macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

Re: Re: any watch afficianados or collectors around?

last i heard, timex was working on this. so was casio

6. gwuMACaddict thread starter macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

jaeger makes beautiful watches and supplies movements for many of the more expensive watch brands. audemars piguet and breguet have both used jaeger movements in the past.

7. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Re: Re: Re: any watch afficianados or collectors around?

yeah, but it still wont look as nice as my cellphone ;) I kid...

8. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    yep, i'm a watch nut for sure...much to my wife's dismay.

it's funny though, that for all the fine swiss yada yada my nice watches have...none of them keep time as well as the $20.00 quartz timex i wear when gardening...go figure.

but what's life without a little bling bling?;)

9. andym172 macrumors 6502

Have had a SS Rolex Daytona on order for a few months...(5 year waiting list! :()

Have just got rid of my Omega Seamaster GMT after having a few problems with it losing time.

My current watch, and most prized possesion, is a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date which my dad gave to me (he found it a little to chunky).

Would love an original Heuer Monaco (blue face) and an IWC Portuguese. Perhaps in a few years... :D

10. gwuMACaddict thread starter macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

eeeewwww... ;) wouldnt it be more fun to put that money towards a used lange and sohn or blancpain? something no one else has.

i'm just giving you a hard time. i think that rolex is a little overrated, though the new daytona movement is nice. before last year rolex used the zenith el primero chronograph movement which was the first wrist watch chrono movement. but you could get in a bunch of other watches too.

:)

11. gwuMACaddict thread starter macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

you just have to get her in to it!! after years of being dragged to watch shows and shops my gf is finally taking an interest. although my back account wishes she wasnt ;)

12. andym172 macrumors 6502

I'm not a huge fan of Rolex either - very much the BMW of watches IMHO, but, the SS Daytona just does something for me. I suppose it's the motorsport link that I most appreciate! :)

13. gwuMACaddict thread starter macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

it is a very sylish watch. i've vowed never to own a rolex, but if i was forced- i like the white gold daytona with the meteorite dial. thats pretty cool. i just dont understand why they jack their prices to high when so many other swiss firms prodoce amazing watches in smaller quantities with more hand finishing. rolex is too much of a name for me i guess

14. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

believe me i've tried...she did wear a vintage cartier tank of mine for awhile but she's just not into them...i've even taken her to " wanna buy a watch" here in lala and another place called antiquarious that is a vintage jewelry mecca...no luck. i begged her to pick one out while we were in rome a few years back( great selection and great prices) but no deal.

my next watch is gonna be a titanium casio solar triple sensor compass/altimeter/barometer watch for my outdoor excursions. not fancy/expensive but man does it have the features.

interesting watch story: years ago when i lived in tahoe i skied quite regularly. one day i was skiing with some friends and late in the afternoon we stopped for lunch. i looked down to see what time it was and my watch was gone....granted it wasn't the best watch i had but it was an early 60's rolex steel and rose gold that was quite nice. so i decide to retrace my runs( which is just about all of the friggin moutains) and since i'm not that great of a skier---i'd fallen just about everywhere...the odds were not good.
    as i'm walking out to get my gear i see a " lost and found" office and think "what the heck". i stop in and ask if anyone turned in a rolex and the girl behind the counter pulls my watch out from a drawer! i was astonished. my faith in mankind was renewed for at least 2 years...

next week i'll be in dallas and i'm gonna try to find my father's old pulsar digital watch from the 70's...it was the first digital timepiece and it's funny to think how fascinated people were with it back then. now it just looks groovy. you had to use a little magnet( hidden in a watchband compartment) to set the time. this will round out my 70's collection.

damn, now i'm psyched up again...off to see whats on www.tourneau.com. and www.wannabuyawatch.com

15. gwuMACaddict thread starter macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

also check out the european watch company based out of boston. they have the best little shop on newburry st. and an awesome website. i've dealt with them before and they are fantastic

16. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i have sometimes liked movado, but it depends on my mood that day

i like the blue angels watch with all the stuff on it

and just about any 100 percent titanium watches are really great and if i had a watch, that's what i would want since i hate the feeling of something heavy on my wrist...i looked at a skagen and a seiko and they were both great

all the watches i mentioned are under 400 dollars, and some way less so i guess they wouldn't be considered fine watches like a cartier or rolex ;)

17. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

If I had 100 extra dollars I might buy a fossil watch :)

18. gwuMACaddict thread starter macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

movados are very distinctive. i'm impressed with them because they are starting to use more swiss automatic movements in their watches. more fun than quartz

19. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

Re: Re: any watch afficianados or collectors around?

My cellphone certainly can make phone calls :D

20. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

I have been wanting to buy a NICE watch for a long time, but then I usually buy a new computer instead...

I really like the Tag Heuer Kirium, I am not too much into the 'overloaded' models. I also like the ikepod watches (www.ikepod.com), but then again I'll probably get a G5 before that :p

And I shouldn't be posting this (my cousin works for Tag Heuer, my best friends' wife for Movado) but check this out if you are into crazy Japanese stuff: http://www.tokyoflash.com/

21. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

all i have is my trusty old swatch. it's one of the skin ones, with a metal band. i love it, but i need to get it lengthened.

22. gwuMACaddict thread starter macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

the tag kirium looks really cool, but when i tried one on i felt like the metal bracelt was more restrictive than some of the other companies's metal bracelets. ikepod is totally cool and i never see any of them on anyones wrists, but they can get pretty expensive, can't they? they use basic eta movements i think. i know they make a tourbillon that looks pretty cool though.

23. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

here's the pulsar p2...pure 70's grooviness. uses an LED and was kind of a pain because you had to push a button to see the time. later they devised a mercury mechanism that lit up the time when you flicked your wrist.

james bond wore one in " live and let die" before trading it in for a magnetic rolex...

Attached Files:

• p2.jpg
      p2.jpg
      File size:
      27.6 KB
      Views:
  24. gwuMACaddict thread starter macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

bond also wore a breitling before switching to omega for the new movies.

i like that pulsar alot. personally i prefer swiss and german mechanical watches, but i love the old acutron spaceviews. that pulsar is cool though- cant beat fun stuff like that

25. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

holy cow they have cool stuff...i'm gonna order a couple after thanksgiving. the translation watch is too funny.

thanks for feeding my addiction.:D