Any way I could burn movies to Blue-ray disc in Mac OS X Tiger?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dartzorichalcos, Mar 27, 2007.

1. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

Mar 23, 2007
    I want to know if there is any way I could play and burn Blue-ray content in Mac OS X Tiger? I hope Leopard will bring "true" support, but can this be done in Tiger?
  2. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Jul 2, 2005
    With the hardware that is out that comes standard with your Mac.

Possibly however there may be third party external Blu-Ray DVD burners but I am not sure of their availability or compatibility with Macs.

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    You would need a BluRay burner and Toast... or a bundle like this:

4. kentucker macrumors newbie

Dec 7, 2010
    I am returning to this thread, which I read when searching for the same answer, to pass on the (thankfully) positive solution I found. I spent 8hours one weekend last month looking for it.

The answer is yes, but at the time of writing you need a specific blu ray burner with Toast.

I bought this burner, along with Toast, at OWC (aka macsales): World Computing/MRF8BDSD12X/

I used this howto at OWC:

Btw, I am a film maker who needed to burn a Blu-ray from my Macbook Pro for a cinema screening of a short film. The Blu-rays I burnt were better quality than a duplication house I used before. For the record, OWC's customer service is excellent.
  5. boch82 macrumors 6502

Apr 14, 2008
    Be careful using toast. There are issues playing back Blu-Rays burned with toast in certain players (specifically Pioneer). We spend a lot of time testing different programs. The 2 programs that were compatible with all the players we tested were compressor and adobe encore.