Any way of accessing my mac from school?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by stevey500, Sep 30, 2004.

1. stevey500 macrumors 6502

Ok, I was wondering if there is a way to in some way access my g3 running panther 10.3.5 from a windows 2000 pc from school? Simular to remote desktop? I think it might have to run through port 80 also, because i think that is the only port open on the schools novel network.. thanks

2. live4ever macrumors 6502a

How about RealVNC on the winbox and OSXvnc on the Mac. All you need to know is the IP address of the Mac (easiest if you pay for a static IP addy) you'd have to go through dyndns.org or something like that if you have a dynamic IP.

3. 40167 macrumors regular

4. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey thank you! I have a static IP, I have done it many times to access my pc before through the web-based remote desktop, but it was only for pc so i didnt know what I could use for PC to MAc.. but hey ill give it a try:D

5. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well Hey it works great, I used it over the home network to test it, but I cannot get the host on my mac to use port 80...
    -------

2004-09-30 22:34:57.844 OSXvnc-server[353] Main Bundle: /Applications/OSXvnc.app
    2004-09-30 22:34:57.853 OSXvnc-server[353] Loading Bundle /Applications/OSXvnc.app/Contents/Resources/JaguarBundle.bundle
    2004-09-30 22:34:57.861 OSXvnc-server[353] Keyboard Loading - Disabled
    2004-09-30 22:34:57.862 OSXvnc-server[353] Press Modifiers For Character - Disabled
    2004-09-30 22:34:57.908 OSXvnc-server[353] Waiting for clients
    2004-09-30 22:34:57.909 OSXvnc-server[353] Failed to Bind Socket: Port may be in use by another VNC
    -------
    I dont have any other programs running to be using port 80. I have internet sharing turned off and everything. Any ideas??

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You should stay away from using port 80 for VNC if you can, stick with the 5801 if possible. Also, you can try finding an ssh client that runs on Windows and get in via the command line.

7. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I'm here at school right now, signed on through stupid novel's netware with extreme internet protection crap. I cannot connect to my mac at home. I have to change it to port 80 or ssh or something... Port 8080 is closed on the novel netware here... unless maybe somehow I have a way around it. Can someone help?? Maybe is there a web based vnc client somewhere? THanks

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'm hoping that no one will help you circumvent the firewall that is there for a reason at your school. Whether you like/agree with it or not is irrelevant.

9. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, it doesnt really matter anyways because nobody even cares for the servers here, and all the facalty would probly LIKE to find out how to get around it, because it is so protective and annoying, the internet is almost useless here.

10. 7on macrumors 601

7on

You can turn on web sharing. And stick any school related files in your Sites folder.

11. rock6079 macrumors 6502

ive been trying to do this fora while now actually, i ahve vnc set up locally and it works great, but thats on my LAN, using my local IP. but as for the network at my school? they use novell also, and wow, they do nto know how to set up a network, its almost the exact opposite of the one you were saying lol. there about to upgrade all the comps on the server to XP from 98 (which omg i couldnt stop laughing, bc its soooo insecure lol). and today we got assigned computers in the comp engineering class, and mine was one of hte computers they installed xp on to test how it worked with the network. i didnt do any of this but i was scoping around to see how bad it was. i have the ability to turn OFF deep freeze (the software they use to delete any files not saved to a certain drive, and restore any settings, basically try and keep it virus free and make sure we dont download stuff). i was able to find and open the program which montors a whole lot of other stuff too lol. anywase i was just laughing at them and how stupid this upgrade is going to be.

anywase if you could figure out how to get VNC working for you that would be awsome, the problem that i have is that i do not have a static ip, and i do not know how to use VNC so that i could connect to this particular computer outside of my network when i have all of theseother computers ?
    any ideas, thanks, and i hope i dindt steal your thread here but i think we're both trying to accomplish the same thing

12. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

lol yeah! same thing here, they are upgrading to XP from 2000, and i have been on one of the ones with xp, there is no firewall set up, no ports closed, and able to dissable deepfreeze... so retarted! but there are only a few xp machines and they are so lazy they probly wont finish installing the rest lol. I wa thinking I could probly just burn a knoppix boot cd and use that at school :rolleyes:

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

14. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Depending on what you want to do, you could always install webmin on top of apache (Personal Web Sharing).

15. 40167 macrumors regular

If theres no firewall setup and no ports closed it should work... I actualy do the vnc thing like every day, seeing as my school (like yours) has 98 and xp all over the place... it agrivates me to no end to use the pc version of microsoft office (97 in our case) and such, so I just vnc into the computer here over port 5801... or if for some reason or another all the desktops are being used on campus, I can (abit it being terrably slow) use my pocket pc over gprs (cell connection) to use the desktop... its quite fun to see a pocket pc "running" osx :)

16. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well its just that there are only a few xp machines and they arent always available to use, but the win2000 ones are, and they have the major protection on them. lol yeah i tried the pocket pc version a few hours ago, it was slow but ok :p

17. 40167 macrumors regular

You dont need to install anything though, you can just connect to http://ipaddress:port it'll present you with a java client to login and use over a browser with java. As long as you can access the port number and a browser with java, youd be fine.