any way of using Dell P1500 printer with my PB?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by elvingomez, Oct 18, 2005.

1. elvingomez macrumors newbie

the drivers are for windows only, is there anyway around this to get it working on my g4 pb 12" running 10.4?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Dell does not support that printer on the Mac. The only other way to use it would be to use a CUPS/GIMP-print driver, but no one has written such to the best of my knowledge.

3. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

4. yellow5 macrumors regular

My girlfriend had the same problem, she ended dumping the Dell off on a friend, and getting a Canon.

All worked out.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Not likely, as the Dell printer does not have a network connection

"Compatible only with Windows® (XP/ME, 98, 2000, NT 4.0)
    Parallel or USB Cable Required"

6. millypede macrumors 6502

millypede

the dell printers are made by lexmark, try using a lexmark drivers, go onto thier site and see which one looks that same and try that.

7. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

I've had a similar predicament.

Everything worked out in the end though, now the Dell is quite the handsome paperweight.

The point is: There is no driver. There will be no driver. Lexmark is crap and Dell is crap.

Stay away!

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Couldn't hurt, but don't get your hopes up. My understanding is that Dell printers are not compatible with Lexmark drivers.

9. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I checked dells site and the language it uses is PCL , PCL 5e, and PS 3. So on gimps site they have generic PCL 5e, and generic PCL 6, so you could try it, just don't go buy one. If you have one try it.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are correct about the specs listed on the website. However, Dell's PDF brochure downloadable from the same site contradicts its website. According to the PDF, the P1500 uses PostScript 2, PCL 6, and PCL 5e, all in emulation. You pays your money; you takes your chances.

11. Cyboc macrumors newbie

1 year later......

Hi,

Did you ever get your Dell P1500 working with your Powerbook. I realize this was a while ago on the macrumors forum, but I just Googled this topic and your thread came up. I thought I would need help, but when I plugged my G4 into it it recognized the Dell and worked first time. No set up no nothing. Maybe the driver is somehow built into Tiger where it wasn't when you were looking.

Now to see if I can get it to work from my Airport Express......That would make a great print server printer for the house.

Peace

Cyboc

Dual 1 GHz G4 PowerMac