Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
I need more wired ethernet ports for my Airport Extreme, is there any kind of add on or device that I can use to add more wired ports?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Thank you guys, I'm running to best buy on lunch and grabbing one. I have another question, I have my airport extreme set to only allow the specific MAC addresses of the devices I'm using. Would I be able to continue to use this feature with a switch?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Great. Now as far as connecting the switch I'm assuming I just connect it right to one of the open ports on the airport extreme? Will the airport software continue to manage the devices connected to the switch.

I appreciate the answers as I'm a very non tech person, especially when it comes to networks.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
a switch is basically like a power strip for ethernet, granted it has some electronics in it, but for the user, the use is pretty much the same.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Thank you guys, I'm running to best buy on lunch and grabbing one. I have another question, I have my airport extreme set to only allow the specific MAC addresses of the devices I'm using. Would I be able to continue to use this feature with a switch?

If you can wait a few days to receive it, I'd order from Amazon. Just did a quick look at Best Buy and the ones that they have in stores are overpriced for what you get. $70 for the cheapest non-outlet item. I bought THIS switch from Amazon and it's been wonderful. I used it to be able to plug in my Tivo, Apple TV 2, Playstation 3, and Slingbox with only one Ethernet cord running from my office where the router is. That switch is only $25 and free shipping. No tax too depending on where you live.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.