Any Way To Boot a Mac From the Command Line

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bobber205, Aug 27, 2006.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Is there a way to boot another man on my network using command line commands? Maybe using the mac address?

2. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

I don't think so - when it's off, the ethernet hardware is off too. You can wake it from sleep however, using something like Remote Desktop or WakeOnMac.

3. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

There just has to be a way. A coworker of mine at my college booted some XP machines from the command line...

4. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Some PCs do have aux power when turned "off" so that wake-on-LAN will still work. Both IBM and Intel have been pushing that idea for years.

6. savar macrumors 68000

savar

It's possible but requires a special card, and probably a special BIOS. I would be pretty surprised if the average, off-the-shelf mac could do this.

What's your goal? Are you trying to remote-boot a box after a power failure or something? If not, just keep the machine asleep and use one of the above-mentioned Wake-On-LAN solutions.

7. Krevnik macrumors 68030

Krevnik

There is an option to boot a Mac after power failure under the Energy settings pane... but the OP sounds more like he is involved in a geek-off than trying to do something practical.

8. Fatal Darkness macrumors newbie

If you're asking about rebooting from command line, the shutdown command will do the trick.

However actually powering on a server remotely requires a lights out manager, which in the case of Apple are only available on XServes:

http://www.apple.com/xserve/management.html

Lights out managers are hardware devices, usually in the form of expansion cards, that have a network interface and are always powered on allowing complete remote management of the server. Desktop machines, whether PC or Mac, don't typically have this capability.

9. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

The business-class Dell boxes we have at work do indeed leave the ethernet interface active even when powered off. So, the machines can be started by sending a 'magic packet' to the machine's MAC address.

This is not possible on shut-down Macs. However, a 'sleeping' Mac can indeed be woken in the same way.

Having said that, neither the Dells nor Macs can be started with a magic packet (Wake on LAN) is they are connected via wireless. The wireless interface isn't kept active when off or asleep.

10. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Looks like the geekoff is off. :D

Well, I did learn some PHP in the process. I'll ask ad see if the ethernet interface was what was left on. Oh well.

Thanks for the helpful posts. I can stop looking now.

11. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

Here's an Idea!

Ok. Ok. Listen to this!

Is there a way to get my mac mini to turn off the display so that the sleep light doesn't shine. That would give the illusion of being off. (My mom doesn't like that light to be on)

Is there a way to make the shutdown command make the computer go to sleep instead?

12. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Duct tape?

Energy saver?