any way to dodge Netgear URL logging?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cb911, Oct 5, 2003.

1. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i'm just wondering if there is any way i can get around our Netgear router logging all the URL's i visit. i just like to surf in privacy, ya know?;)

Netgear routers do log URL's, right? my little brother has control of the router now, & i don't know the password, so i can't get into change any of the settings, and it's kind of pissing me off having him know my every move on the net.

so is there any way i can get around this? i know there's Mega-Proxy, and Jump-to, but in the log, won't the URL have a part that says the site i actually went to?

are there any other sites or anything to get around logging and that sort of stuff?

or if there is a simple, (or maybe not so simple) software solution that would be good as well. :)

thanks all.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I don't think that the router will have URL logging (I've never heard of a consumer level router that does this). Even if it does the amount of memory on this sort of device must be pretty limited so you could simply write a script that loads a massive number of URLs afterwards to push your actual URLs off the bottom of the log.

Post the actual product name and we could check out what it can do.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Wow my mistake, I found some Netgear routers with URL filtering/blocking/logging capabilities. You could just reset it to factory defaults to reset the password!

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

ok, you need to do a little social egineering to figure out how to mess with it ..... how old is your brother? tell him your having problems and a lot of the time netgear routers are fixed by updates .... because they are . Then you say you wan to learn how to do this stuff for whatever reason ... watch him type the password then you cna go in and mess aroudn with stuff, I used to do it all the time when my little sister played dumb games

5. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

it's a NetGear websafe router, model # soemthing like RC 114.

i'm pretty sure that i could force him to show me the password, he is my younger brother. :D but that wouldn't be as fun. he's a real PC head, thinks he knows heaps of stuff (well he knows just enought to stay one step ahead of me ;)).

i might try that script idea... shouldn't be too hard, or does anyone more experienced want to volunteer their services for the cause? :p

it would be good if there was a site that forwarded you to another site, encrypting the actual URL... then he wouldn't have a clue what was going on! :D

what i need is to give him a good dose of 'befuddlement'! :D

6. coopdog macrumors 6502a

I have the same router and all you do is push the reset button in the back of it with a paper clip. It resets the login and password to admin/password then just go and change it so he can't login and see what you are doing I don't think you can turn off the logging though, you can have it send the log to you through email daily though.

7. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

he he, yeah i might reset it. my bro would be seriously annoyed! :D

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

Interesting... apparently that model has a security flaw that causes it to "take the client's word for it" on the address. Aside from theoretically making it vulnerable to some sort of attack, that would allow you to forge outgoing HTTP headers with fake URLs if you wanted. I don't know how to do that, of course, but I thought it was interesting anyway.

http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/archive/bugtraq/2003/04/msg00232.html

9. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

yeah, interesting. but in that case i think my router it model #116. :p