Any way to get a Sawtooth to recognize 2 Gb RAM?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by leekohler, Sep 11, 2005.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

OK, I did a search of the forums and didn't find anything on this. But I swear I've heard of people who've done DP upgrades on their Sawtooths getting 2 Gb RAM in their computers. Is this true?

2. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

yes. there are 4 ram slots that take a max of 512mb each.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

That's great! Mine has four slots that I filled with 2 512s and 2 256s, because I thought that was all it could take. My only question- why did Apple state it would only take 1.5 Gigs?

4. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

the 1.5GB limit is only for os9 and older. any version of osx will see up to 2gb in a sawtooth.

check it out:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/Descripti...?page=g4agp.html&title=Power Macintosh G4 AGP

5. superfula macrumors 6502

I don't think I knew that. I suppose it's the same for other G4 Powermac models

6. Lopez.T.H. macrumors regular

7. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

A Sawtooth would be technically the second version of the first generation Power Mac G4, otherwise known as the AGP Graphics G4.

8. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Just the codename for an old PowerMac G4 model. More info here.

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Oft times Apple's limit is the physical limit on RAM they could get at the time and then they don't go back to re-test when bigger RAM is out. eMac support up to 4GB, (2x2GB DIMMs) but Apple isn't going to bother testing that.

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

11. Lopez.T.H. macrumors regular

Thanks. Those look nice. Wouldnt mind picking up one of those for myself. :)

12. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I would highly recommend it. I've had mine for over 5 years and it's one hell of a workhorse. The upgradeability is amazing. I've put a 1 Ghz processor in mine, but I know it can go a lot higher than that. My next upgrade will be a video card to make it CoreImage compatible.

13. doucy2 macrumors 65816

doucy2

wow thats cool
    mine has a 1ghz processor now and 1.5gb
    how much much performance do you think i would get with the 2gb

14. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

That's what I have too! I can only imagine more RAM will make it even faster. Can't hurt, right?

15. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Actually, not really. It will only make the machine faster if you regularly exceed your existing 1.5 Gb in total application OS and data load. Once you have enough RAM, then the marginal benefit of more is small. Until you raise the bar on "enough" of course.

So the extreme example of someone with a 1.5 Gb machine doing only Safari, upping it to 4 Gb would make little or no noticeable difference.

16. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Documentation?
    And where have you found non-ECC, non-Registered, non-Stacked DDR PC2700 DIMMs?
    Curious to see proof that the eMac memory controller can address 1024 MBit density devices... ;)

17. doucy2 macrumors 65816

doucy2

i would use it because i run a lot of games
    and sometime play my itunes music in the backround while i play for ex return to castle wolfenstein
    i also at some time have many 10 apps and close to 20 different windows running
    this should increase spped shouldnt it

18. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Because the G4s now can handle it for quite some time now, only makes sense. OK fine, it was an exaggeration-- but once we get those 2GB DIMMs, I wouldn't be surprised if they would. :p

Damn you CanadaRAM and your wanting to obey the laws of matter, gravity, and such! ;)

19. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, of course not- but I do push mine to the limit quite a bit. That's why I asked in the first place.