Any way to have a "single window mode" in safari like firefox?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by spaceballl, Aug 18, 2005.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hi everyone,

I'm constantly switching between Deer Park, Camino, and Safari, trying to figure out which browswer I like best and I honestly end up flipping back and forth, finding favorite features and annoyances with each one. However, one feature that I think Safari lacks is better tab management. I like the single window mode of firefox (and to some extent, camino) where all externa links are forced to load in background tabs of the current window rather than in actual new windows. Keeps things nice and neat. Anyone know how to do this in safari?

-Kevin

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In the Safari preferences, is it set to "Open links in new tabs"?

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

There's a $12 program called Saft that gives Safari even better tab management than firefox plus a lot of other features. You can drag to change the order of tabs and you can force every new window to open in a tab.

4. Xephian macrumors 6502a

Xephian

There's a free extension for firefox to make it do that too.

5. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yes but when links request a new open window (links in a body of a gmail, etc), a new window opens rather than forcing it to a tab.
    $12? In the day of free browsing? :(. Here's to hoping Apple just lets you do that for free in the future.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Agreed, it's annoying, isn't it. :(

7. Whistleway macrumors 6502

a newbie question, is there a way to configure safari so that i dont have to cmd click to open the links in a tab instead of a new window. for life of mine, i just cant seem to do it. what is the use of a tab browser if it cant do it.. please help..thanks

8. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

To answer the person who started the thread, there is away to make links from external apps open in a new tab in Safari. In Preferences->General, the very bottom setting is "Open links from applications: in a new window/in a new tab in the current window." Check the second option and you're set.

To the most recent poster, if you have a three button/scroll wheel mouse, the middle button (or scrollwheel click) acts like a command-click in Safari. If you click on a link (any link) using the middle button instead of the left button, it will open in a new tab. If you've got a one-button mouse, I don't think there's any other way than to use command-click.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

But it's not very consistent. I have that option set but links from places like MacRumors generally open a new window for me. :(

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Just cmd-click links that the Status Bar says will open in a new window, and those links will open in a new tab instead...

11. louis_sx macrumors regular

for me to do this, I just bought a logitech scroll mouse and didn't bother with the software that came with it...now when i click the wheel (push down rather than rolling it), it opens links in another tab. I don't like Firefox on the Mac; I much prefer Safari...though without this scroll wheel, it might be different!

12. mcmillan macrumors 6502

@topic starter: I had the exact same problem, Safari Stand will do the job perfectly. There's an option that says "open _blank links in new tabs" which means all "new window" links will open in new tabs. It also comes with a "new tab" button that you can put in the toolbar. Now I truly use only one window. There are still a few links that open in new windows, but I've only seen like 2 of those since I installed Safari Stand a few weeks ago.

Safari Stand (free yay!)

The perfect browser for me still doesn't exist. Shiira got really close, but Safari is more perfect IMO.

Besides all the basic functions that every browser has, my perfect browser would have the following features:

-Make all _blank links open in new tabs (like Firefox and Safari Stand)
    -Camino, Shiira and Omniweb design (Not the Windowish Firefox look, nor the Safari horizontal line between the address bar and the bookmarks)
    -Private Browsing (Like Safari, Shiira, and kinda Firefox)
    -Safari's RRS (There's no other browser that integrates with RSS so perfectly, this is really something that my browser must have)
    -Fast (Like Safari and Firefox)
    -Those cool bars at the top of a page when a plugin is missing, or a pop-up wasn't open (Like Firefox)

Yeah... that's my perfect browser ^^^ so if anyone has some free time, I would be glad to test it :D. Maybe you're gonna love me when I release it once I learn some programming... hehe

13. Whistleway macrumors 6502

Thanks mduser63, i am ibook using the trackpad. And apologies, spaceballl for hijacking your thread, my mistake. :(

14. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

spaceball: this is one of the many reasons that has me using firefox daily.

llama :)

15. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yup. On Firefox right now... The mac version keeps getting better and better.

-Kevin

16. iChief macrumors member

iChief

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Security? How so? SafariStand is excellent, and I haven't had any issues with the version for 3.0.x. It has a longstanding reputation in the Mac community. Also I'm not really sure how it would have a security delta.

18. iChief macrumors member

iChief

Thanks mkrishnan. That's good to hear. I've been tempted to install it for a while now but I'm not very techie and I don't like messing with Library folders. Do you use it yourself?

I only really want it to enable a 'single window mode'. I hate having to Command and click, just in case a site wants to open in a new window. Do you know if Apple have any plans to include this in their next version?

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I do, yes; I did in Safari 2.0, and I held onto Safari 2 until it (and my other plugins) were ready to go for Safari 3. And like you, I really only use it for that feature. I've never seen any real issues with it. The only thing with this, and all plugins for Safari, is that when Safari is updated, you may wish to exercise caution and wait for people to report on whether the new Safari works with the current plugin (or that there is a new version of the plugin). For instance, Safari 3 won't run if the Safari 2 version of Stand is installed, as far as I know.

I have Version 3.0.3 (522.12.1) of Safari and I think I have 3.0a1 of Stand. I see there's a new one out, actually.

20. iChief macrumors member

iChief

I have the same version of Safari as you do. So I might just go ahead and try the same version of Stand. Thanks again :)

21. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

The latest version of the beta seems to be more buggy... To me at least. I had random crashes in Safari 2.x which made me switch to Camino. Then I tried the Beta and all was well, switched back to Safari. Until the other day when I updated to 3.0.3. Now, the random crashes are happening again ~_~

22. Chalkster macrumors newbie

I was reading the macworld magazine and this gave an answer to the problem of tabs/windows......

open terminal and type
    defaults write com.apple.Safari
    TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool TRUE

it then says goodbye to Safari Window hunting forever.

Going to try this myself and see if it works.