Any way to hook up the 20" to my mac mini and PB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nospleen, Jan 11, 2005.

1. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I just bought my wife the mac mini. I am using a 20" Apple display, (aluminum), with my Powerbook. Is there some sort of an adaptor that I can use to have the display connected to the mac mini and the powerbook, without unplugging it. I will not be using them at the same time of course, but, I do not want to have to unplug the connector to switch between the mac mini and the PB. Thanks!

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

you need a KVM switch, or just an M , Its a switcher for the keyboard video and mouse, do a google search for DVI KVM.

3. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Thanks for your help, I will let you know how it turns out.

4. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

WOW, they seem to be around 200 bucks! Does anyone have a link to a cheaper one? I just need it for the display, we have bluetooth periphs. Tks.

5. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Just be aware that the non-amplified ones (no power supply), although cheaper, produce much lower-quality results. DVI monitor switches aren't cheap, at least the good ones. I just didn't want to see you spend $100 and then hate the quality.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I could have sworn, while surfing this site last night, that someone specifically said that the Belkin linked above won't work well, and they recommended the one here. I know that because I checked my Safari history, but I've somehow misplaced the post which mentioned it - I'm pretty sure it said it was the Belkin which had issues, but I could be wrong.

8. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Thanks for the link. I would rather not spend 200, but, I would rather spend the extra money if it is worth it. Thanks for the heads up!