Any way to lock Safari keychain on quit?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cruzn15, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Cruzn15 macrumors newbie

I remember that in an older version of Safari, whenever I quit the app and relaunched, it would prompt for my keychain password once when I navigated to a web site with a saved password. It would auto-fill all my saved passwords for the rest of the Safari session until I quit the app. When I reopen it, it would prompt for the keychain pass again.

Is there any way to re-enable this option? I much prefer this method.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, I dunno if this'll work but... Go to the Keychain Access app in the Utilities folder. Find Safari Forms Autofill in the Applications part of the app, under Passwords. Double click on this and then head to the Access Control pane. Select Confirm Before Allowing Access and then check the Ask For Keychain Password box. I don't use this feature and this is going off a very old memory, but it might work. Hopefully... :p

3. Cruzn15 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Cruzn15 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Cruzn15 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I turn on "Master Password" in Firefox, it gives me that functionality. But is there any way to achieve that in Safari?

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You should be able to set a timeout in Keychain Access, although it's not exactly what you're looking for. Go into Keychain Access, choose "Change Settings for Keychain [name]", and set your timeout to a short time (2-3 minutes would work for me, though you may get annoyed with having to enter your password more often). I think the option you're looking for may be gone, so that might be your best substitute.

jW

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It seems like there should be a way to make the keychain access expire on program quit, instead of on reboot... :(

8. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

The problem is the keychain isn't separate for each app - so if closing Safari locked the keychain, it could cause issues for any other apps that use it. It's also true that some keychain entries are used by multiple programs; so "lock all items related to Safari" might cause unforseen issues.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The keychain is not separate per app, but permission to access it *is*. For instance, when I boot my Mac, I have to provide keychain authorization (separately) for Adium and Mail (I don't let FF / Safari store passwords). I have to do it once for each app on boot, to let them get at the login keychain, and then they keep their authorizations until I shut down. But so it seems to me that if Safari lost its permissions access, it would not cause the problem you're describing?