Any way to make it so the "back" and "forward" buttons in a Safari never disappear?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by TH55, Feb 10, 2014.

1. macrumors 68020

Now every time I want to go back I have to hit it twice. It's nice to have full screen but there are better ways to implement it, like Mercyry did - make them remain but be translucent.

2. macrumors 601

The Doctor11

No but don't use those buttons. Swipe from the left edge of the screen to the right to go back and do the opposite to go forward

3. thread starter macrumors 68020

Oh wow thanks! That is like the Swipe Back tweak.

4. macrumors 601

The Doctor11

I love that swipe thing. It also works in settings and messages and a few third party apps.

5. thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah. I downloaded the tweak Swipe Back which is where the idea came from, and it's supposed to let u go both ways but doesn't in this version.

6. thread starter macrumors 68020

I still find myself habitually using the back and forward arrows. I wish there was an option to make them stay visible, I thought I would get used to it but it's just simply annoying having to hit it twice every time, the "full screen" browsing experience is not worth this hassle.

7. macrumors 68000

Bacong

this doesn't help if you want to view your tabs, though.

8. thread starter macrumors 68020

Great point. Ya they seriously did not put very much thought into iOS 7. 100% style over functionality, and the style isn't even that great, it's just different.

9. macrumors 601

The Doctor11

Well all I can say is keep swiping until it becomes natural. All I had to do was swipe once and I fell in love with it it's just feels so normal to swipe. It's something a button can not deliver.

10. thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah I prefer swipe gestures but it's slightly more effort than tapping the arrow as you have to drag from the very edge of the screen. Also, like poster above said this does not let you see your tabs.

If you like swipe gestures you absolutely need to jailbreak and get SwipeNav. It lets you go back by simply swiping left anywhere on the screen. The only issue is it does not work in messages right now. I've been emailing the dev trying to get him to fix it, very annoying.

11. macrumors 65816

adnbek

Considering your posting history, I surmise you meant this.

12. macrumors 6502a

MrGuder

Swiping doesn't always work for me, sometimes it takes 3 or 4 times before it will swipe back a page and the back/forward buttons at bottom drive me crazy, they remind me of Chrome and I hated them in there. I didn't realize too that you can tap the bottom and the back/forward buttons appear but you have to be careful, especially with this forum because on your iphone they run an AD at the bottom and taping that area sometimes you tap the ad in error. :eek:

13. thread starter macrumors 68020

Your post is confusing. What drives you crazy about the back forward buttons at the bottom if not the appear/disappear thing?

14. macrumors 6502a

MrGuder

Well, I'm only 3 days into iOS7 it's the scrolling appear/disappear thing, I guess I just need to get use to it. I've been so use to Safari iOS6 with the "fixed" buttons in portrait. Another thing I don't like is the new URL bar at the top but I guess I need to get use to that too.

15. thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah all of that drives me crazy. If it was better than before I wouldn't mind adjusting, but it's not.

If it is the disappearing of the arrows that bothers you then why did you say the buttons bothered you and that you also noticed they appeared when you tapped? Aren't those the same issue?

16. thread starter macrumors 68020

Hilarious, and no I'm very professional

17. macrumors 68000

richwoodrocket

I pretty much only use the swipe back feature in safari. I find myself doing it in other apps that don't have that too.

18. macrumors 6502a

Go back and forward by swiping, and if you need to see your tabs, just flick the screen down

19. macrumors 6502a

Too bad the pretty much the only place swiping forward works is in Safari. So pointless.

20. richwoodrocket, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014

macrumors 68000

richwoodrocket

Any way to make it so the "back" and "forward" buttons in a Safari never disa...

Flicking the screen down does not work for me. Where should I "flick"?

21. macrumors newbie

It also works in settings and messages and a few third party apps. I love that swipe thing. :cool:

22. macrumors P6

Works in quite a few other apps as well.

23. macrumors 6502a

Such as?

24. macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

It works in most apps (using the iOS 7 sdk) where views are presented as part of a UINavigationController with a push segue (developer lingo, I know).

25. Sirious, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014

macrumors 6502a

Sirious

Almost all first-party Apple apps and many more from the App Store. For example:
    • Kik
    • WhatsApp
    • TagsForLikes
    • Instagram