any way to make itunes take less CPU when importing?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aplasticspork, Oct 20, 2004.

  1. aplasticspork macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 27, 2004
    Location:
    Seattle Wa.
    #1
    i recently started converting a large amount of music from mp3 to aac format and importing into itunes. my computer, for the first three days was completely functional. now, as the fourth day is ending (its about halfway done converting and importing) it's become, for lack of a better word, slow as molasses in a freezer. it takes about 5-10 minutes for applications to open. itunes is still going at the exact same speed (5-6x), but it doesn't let any other application use more than 1% of the CPU. so i was wondering if there's any way to make itunes use only say 90% of the CPU and let all the other applications use the remaining 10%. basically what was happening before was that the system would take focus away from itunes when i switched the application, itunes would go slower, and the other application would go faster. now it doesn't take the focus off of itunes, so it's trying to make itunes go as fast as possible, and run everything else with maybe 2% of the CPU. the computer is an 800 Mhz G4 iMac running 10.3.5 and the latest version of itunes. any help on the matter would be appreciated :)
     
  2. macdaddy23 macrumors newbie

    macdaddy23

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2004
    Location:
    Earth
    #2
    http://www.appledevelopers.tk,
    download CPUpowerup from the products section. that should help you out.
    but keep in mind when you do that your taking back a lot of your CPU so the iTunes process will go slower. so.. have at it.
     
  3. crenz macrumors 6502a

    crenz

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2003
    Location:
    Shanghai, China
    #3
    I could also imagine that during the conversion process, iTunes sucked up quite an amount of memory that is not released yet. If you haven't restarted iTunes or rebooted since that three days, you might like to try that.
     
  4. aplasticspork thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 27, 2004
    Location:
    Seattle Wa.
    #4
    thanks for the feedback, i figured out that it was because the 160 GB hard disk was full :eek: and it had no space left for virtual memory (it was using a gigabyte) so now, since it was just over half way done and it wasnt going in any order, i have to start over using the internal disk too. heres to another week of waiting :rolleyes:
     
  5. Nermal Moderator

    Nermal

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2002
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #5
    I suppose the moral of the story is to not convert so much music all at once :eek:
     

Share This Page