Any way to make my PBG412's keyboard backlit?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ClarkeB, Jun 23, 2005.

1. ClarkeB macrumors 6502

ClarkeB

I love the lit-up keyboard on the 15 and 17 inch PowerBook G4s, but I didn't have the money to splurge (plus, I really love the compactness of the 12). Is there any way to mod the comptuer so that light will emit from the keyboard? Would this void warranty/AppleCare?

Clarke

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

of course this would void the warranty, and i highly doubt you can put that into the 12" since the only reason it isn't in there is because of the compactness that you love.

I still think the keys are easy to get to without looking at them, so backlit would do nothing to help me.

3. aspro macrumors 6502

Perhaps you could rig some kind of lighting in there, but it would void the warranty and not work as well as the high end powerbooks

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Lighter fluid.

Good for a single use only though, i'm afraid..

:D

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

there was some old post on the forums with instruction, but i can't find them anymore. the basic idea was running fiber optic cable to connect to a LED and pulling power from some place. the links were in japanese, but the pictures and part number were enough to get by.

you could probably google and find instructions.

6. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

If you need a backlight keyboard, you must need to type. If you need to type, the screen must be on. I've never seen a laptop that when used in the dark, the screen wasn't more than enough to light up the keyboard, unless you're working on a black image or something. You could always get one of those flexi-USB LED lights, too.

7. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Yeah, but your hands usually block the light from getting to the keys.

8. mpopkin macrumors 6502

mpopkin

from what i have seen there is no mod other than buying a USB light that plugs into ur usb port, there is no mod for the keys that wouldnt void ur applecare, in fact there is nothing that i know of for any platform, the best bet would be to buy a usb light and just use it
    good luck

9. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Mine don't. :eek:

10. Jinorasa macrumors newbie

Anyway, there's plenty ways to work in dark area. But just wonder is there any success example of adding a backlight to 12" PowerBook keyboard.

Thanks.

11. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Easy answer. 5 quid USB LED lap from most electronic shops. You could even get two and go stereo! :cool:

Or you could wear one of those miners hats with the lights on the front...