Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nuks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
I hate having big lists pop up everytime I go to type something in. I guess what I want to do is enable permanent "private browsing".

Any help?
Thanks.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
Re: Permanent Private Browsing

I would love to know this too.

I have nosey people who are always looking at my previously visited sites -- and I always have to choose "private browsing" every single time I use Safari. I'd like to have a permanent way to do this.

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
There is no simple way to do this (unfortunatly). However, I did find out a way a few years ago. It involves I believe write protecting a certain history file in the preferences folder so that Safari can no longer write to it, thus not being able to keep track of history.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
No idea if this would work, but off the top of my head, if the file that Safari uses as it's history were removed and then a symlink to /dev/null was put in it's place anything it tried to write to that file would just end up being nuked. Of course, if one were to try this and their computer killed a bunch of people in the process, well if you try this, you're on your own.

Nuks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
well then I think I'll probably hold off trying either of those until a simpler solution comes along.

Thanks for your help anyway!

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
In Safari go to Preferences and then the Autofill tab. Untick 'All Forms'. Thats it. However the Google search bar will keep your recent searches.

If you want to stop logging your history, like pages visited etc. Go to Users > Library > Safari and lock the History file after you have cleared your history in Safari.

Hope these help. :)

Nuks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Alright, I've almost got that done, but how do I lock the history file?

Thanks.

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Nuks said:
Alright, done.
Thanks alot

Like I said, not hard to do, but it should have been an option in preferences anyhow. The main reason I wanted to turn the history off is because Safari will always try to autocomplete the address as you type it in. My parents type very very slowly, and they found it confusing to type in a letter or two and have like 20 websites pop up and autocomplete in.

Ksieciulo

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2008
how to lock safari history?

Hi
I mean that I don't want to clear, delete my history.How to make that history will be unable to delete.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.