Any way to prevent sleep when closing the lid?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Wharrgarbl, Mar 12, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Wharrgarbl

On my powerbook, you could close the lid, plug in a display+keyboard+mouse+power, and it would wake up and run fine with the lid shut.

1) is this possible on the MBA? (Can't test as I don't have a display)

2) can the MBA be kept awake when the lid is shut with *nothing* plugged in? (i.e. is there software or a hack to do this?)

I realize that this may have implications regarding venting/cooling and screen life, but in some situations I'd still like to be able to.

Anyone?

thanks!!

Wharrgarbl

2. Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I think InsomniaX will do what you want, it works on my MB but haven't tried it on a MBA.

3. thread starter macrumors member

Wharrgarbl

Works perfectly!

Now my MBA is one step closer to being the world's more powerful iPod Touch. :)

I wonder if the Modbook guy will make a Modbook Air -- that would be a dream come true!

4. macrumors newbie

careful...

I've been running InsomniaX while I have my MBA hooked up to a 24" monitor and bluetooth peripherals. Problem is that doing so drives up the heat. Hardware Monitor shows the CPU temps going up almost 10 degrees C, even when I detect monitors to shut off the monitor on the MBA.

5. bov
    macrumors 6502

will insomniax work for things like keeping downloads going when the lid is closed?

6. macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

yes.

7. macrumors regular

I think I read in a different thread that the MBA worked with the lid closed... by default ?

That once hooked to a monitor, a keyboard and a mouse: you close the lid, it seems that it goes to sleep but after ~30 seconds, if you move the mouse, you see it coming back up on the monitor.

I have to say I have not tested myself yet since I miss the cable to hook it to a monitor...

8. macrumors 601

Phil A.

Can confirm that the MBA works like any other recent apple notebook and will operate lid closed as long as you have an external monitor and power plugged in. I run mine tethered to my 23" ACD at my desk but normally leave the lid open so I can use the MBA screen as a desktop extension

9. macrumors 6502

I can confirm that closing the lid, with an external display attached, does work fine.

Like the previous poster mentioned, it will go to sleep for a little bit then wake up with mouse movement.

10. macrumors 6502a

I didn't think the MBA supported a 23" ACD. Are you having any issues with your setup?

11. macrumors member

nope

I have a MacBook Pro about six months old, and it goes into sleep mode when you close the lid with an external monitor and power supply hooked up. Useless.