Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

torbjornhb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2016
As the heading says, is there any way to reduce sound from keyboard o new MacBook Pro? I just got mine, and I am driving everyone in the same room as me crazy because of the clicking sound...

Reactions: Ninti

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
it quiets down after a couple days. you just gotta work it in. it's actually a very quiet keyboard. they're really clicky at first. also, naturally as you use it you'll bash it less hard because it requires a lot less hard of a press to click than other keyboards.

torbjornhb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2016
it quiets down after a couple days. you just gotta work it in. it's actually a very quiet keyboard. they're really clicky at first. also, naturally as you use it you'll bash it less hard because it requires a lot less hard of a press to click than other keyboards.

Thanks for your quick reply. I hope you are right. I guess I have to wait with returning it. To be honest I went from a MacBook Air to MacBook Pro 13" 2015-modell just three days ago. Then I found out that I loved the screen on MacBook Pro, and that I wanted the portability from Air. I thought the new MacBook Pro 13" would be a great compromise and bought it today. Hopefully the clicking-sound will quit down soon. I have to stay up all the night just to write...

torbjornhb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2016
Type with less force. It's one of the best keyboards I have ever used.

Well, I love typing on the keyboard, it's just the sound or makes...
Heve tøy experienced that it gets more quite after some time?

Reactions: Ninti

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014
Well, I love typing on the keyboard, it's just the sound or makes...
Heve tøy experienced that it gets more quite after some time?
If you are used to keyboards with a lot of travel, you will type with more force. I was used to low-profile keyboards and therefore I type quieter. I guess you will get used to it, unless you often have to type with high-profile keyboards.

Reactions: leman

torbjornhb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2016
If you are used to keyboards with a lot of travel, you will type with more force. I was used to low-profile keyboards and therefore I type quieter. I guess you will get used to it, unless you often have to type with high-profile keyboards.

Thanks.
I'm used to Macbook Air 13. I guess I type pretty hard. Might have to work on my technique ;)

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have to agree with the comments above - either the keyboard quiets down after a week of good use or your technique will change so you're not typing with as much force. Either way, it get's better. Personally, I think it's a combination of both.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012

No it doesn't. If anything, it gets louder and hurts your fingers after about 20 minutes. My wife's had her's for about a week and it's just as loud as the day she bought it, if not louder. It's a crappy keyboard in my opinion, and I write for a living. Most of my peers agree, but we're a unique bunch of idiots...we all write for coin and ramen noodles.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
If you put a keyboard cover over the 2016 MBP, it's pretty quiet. They can be purchased for ~$8 on Amazon.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
My experience has been that it does not get quieter with use - I've had it a while now and it's just as noisy as before. The keyboard feel alone would be enough to make me return it.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
As others have said it does not get more quiet. I've had mine for several weeks and it's still as loud as it was on day 1. I know some people love this keyboard, I hate it. I wish Apple would have added 1mm to the thickness of the laptop to allow for slightly deeper keys. Oh well, I still think the pluses outweigh the negatives with this laptop overall.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
As others have said, it does get more quiet. Well clearly YMMV. My chiclet desktop keyboard is way louder than my MBP. My old MBP seems louder now. The new one has either quieted down and/or my style changed naturally. If you never change your style from a greater travel keyboard, the sound may stay the same. I think my style naturally changed because the feedback is so crisp. You know when a key registers and don't need to pound them with such force any longer. Maybe the keys don't actually "break in", who knows. I haven't done any aural testing because it didn't bother me so I can't confirm anything definitively. I just know it's quiet now, and it was clicky as hell when I first got it.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
The keyboard is great, but the gigantic trackpad is a sin for sure. On my 15", its like a cookie sheet that always gets in the way. Idiotic design choice. I know they are proud of their trackpad, but please settle down Jony.

Reactions: Koh Phi Phi

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
It took me a few days to adjust to the keyboard, but now I like it just fine. As others have mentioned I think I changed how much force I use when typing.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
I don't think mine got more quiet, I just think I notice it less. Or I built it up in my mind to be incredibly loud (which it seems at first) and now that perception has tempered a bit.

linguist

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2009
work on it a bit with daily use, touch instead of push habit, if still not enough keyboard cover should help immensely.

Martin29

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
Quimper, France
I have only had my new machine a day, but the keyboard noise is spoiling the experience. Keys in the centre of the keyboard are much louder than those at the edges. I can't believe it was designed to make this much noise.

I actually love the keys and the positive click, but the noise is because the body of the machine is acting as a sound box. Not sure whether Apple agree there's an issue, but I sure hope so.

erich.j.k

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2016
Germany
Mine is as loud as it was in the beginning (Nov. 2016) . I still don't like the sound. In a quiet office it makes a hell of lot of noise. It's not good at all in my opinion. Most of all because of the noise. Sometimes it seems if you don't hit (a certain) key at the correct angle it makes more noise - as if it had gotten stuck. This is mainly the command, option, alt keys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.