Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
I'm using mactheripper right now, my dvd's have been getting scratched, so Im backing them up, I have 2 drives, so I'm wondering if its possible to rip 2 at the same time? Or, if i'm doing simple extractions can I use another program?

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
brsboarder said:
I'm using mactheripper right now, my dvd's have been getting scratched, so Im backing them up, I have 2 drives, so I'm wondering if its possible to rip 2 at the same time? Or, if i'm doing simple extractions can I use another program?

You could try DVDBackup, but its a bit out of date. Not sure if they would play nice at the same time, guess you will have to try and let us know.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
This issue came up before with another program....I think maybe it was SPSS. The issue was that there was some usage on the PC where having multiple copies open at once is helpful (in SPSS, it is, because SPSS only allows one data set to be open at a time, unlike Excel with multiple spreadsheets). There was some workaround to this issue.

Hmmm....I think there's a better way than this, but if you make two physical copies of the program, you should be able to run both copies at the same time. The question of whether they'll be able to control your two DVD drives without any crosstalk or problems is separate, of course. :)

So in other words, you drag and copy the app to another folder, or with another name, and then you run both copies by double click.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
mkrishnan said:
So in other words, you drag and copy the app to another folder, or with another name, and then you run both copies by double click.

Well. I figured I would give it a try. Seemed to work - although I didn't wait for the finish. So mk is the man!

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 129

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
kingjr3 said:
Well. I figured I would give it a try. Seemed to work - although I didn't wait for the finish. So mk is the man!

Hah. That's cool... I would be interested to know how long it takes to rip one disc by itself, versus the time it takes to do two simultaneously. Also what kind of system you are doing this on and what kind of drives are they (ie IDE or firewire, Apple or third party, speed, etc).

Thanks,
Rob

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
virividox said:
do you have a dual proc system, im just imagining doing that on my pbook i think it would grind to a halt

Well, from what I understand the act of DeCSS'ing a DVD isn't very proccessor intensive. What is going to come into play here is I/O bandwidth more than anything.

For example, if this is on 2 IDE drives that are on a single shared channel, and are both being copied to the same HD, then you will probably run into trouble.

On the otherhand, if this is being done from one IDE drive and a Firewire drive, and each disc is being copied to a different harddrive, either 2 internal SATA, or an internal SATA and a FW drive (on a different FW port as the DVD drive), they the real issue will be the systems I/O controller, not so much the CPUs.

Also, even if there is no actual speed increase per disc (say one discs by itself takes 10 minutes and two discs at the same time takes 20) you are still saving time by not having to actually be there to switch discs halfway through.

Rob

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
mrgreen4242 said:
Also, even if there is no actual speed increase per disc (say one discs by itself takes 10 minutes and two discs at the same time takes 20) you are still saving time by not having to actually be there to switch discs halfway through.

Rob

you also get the nice benefit of being able to go somewhere and do something else for longer while it's working. if it takes 20 mins instead of ten, that is long enough to, say, go make lunch and eat instead of being anxious that you were going to lose valuable time if you did that when it only took 10 mins.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
brsboarder said:

Quite simple, just duplicate the application and there you have it.

Heck duplicate toast and you can burn 2 optical discs at the same time. ;) :)

While you are at it why stop there do three at a time. :)

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
mrgreen4242 said:
Hah. That's cool... I would be interested to know how long it takes to rip one disc by itself, versus the time it takes to do two simultaneously. Also what kind of system you are doing this on and what kind of drives are they (ie IDE or firewire, Apple or third party, speed, etc).

Thanks,
Rob

Well I didn't time it, but here are the system specs.

Dual 867
768 MB
two IDE HDs (only saving to the 120GB)
Internal Combo drive
External firewire Sony DRX-510UL DVD burner

Anything else in mind?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.