Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
Hi,

I've been working with some videos that i recorded, edited with iMovie, and exported into quicktime (full quality). The problem is, a 17-minute movie with minimal editing (just some titles) is 1.16 GB!!! Is there any program that somehow compresses these files while maintaining quality? does everyone have this problem?

Thanks!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
ero87 said:
Hi,

I've been working with some videos that i recorded, edited with iMovie, and exported into quicktime (full quality). The problem is, a 17-minute movie with minimal editing (just some titles) is 1.16 GB!!! Is there any program that somehow compresses these files while maintaining quality? does everyone have this problem?

Thanks!
Be sure that your .mov files are saved as H.264. This is the default format of QuickTime 7.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
MisterMe said:
Be sure that your .mov files are saved as H.264. This is the default format of QuickTime 7.

how do i do that? and would that reduce the size?

i would think that iMovie would automically export it in the right format, no?

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
ero87 said:

That's just the thing. iMovie is probably exporting in a 100% lossless format. Probably raw DV. This guarantees that all the information from the original footage is there, but the file sizes are gargantuan. 12gb/hour. If you compress to H.264, you're looking at a very minimal, and probably unnoticeable, quality loss to get that down to a fraction of the file size. You're going to need to take that big movie file and open it with quicktime. Then, re-export it in H.264. Make sure the final H.264 version looks good and the file size is good. Then you can trash the bigger file if you like.

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
ero87 said:

Correct. In iMovie, select Share and the Share item from the menu list. Then select Quicktime and from the pop-up menu you can choose one of the preprogrammed settings or select expert and choose your own compression settings and sizes for both video and audio.

More here.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
this is what i see when trying to re-export the quicktime file:

Which one is H.264?!

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    101.4 KB · Views: 189

dazboardrider

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2006
I Use Mpeg Stream Clip.

Its a free Program you can find it here

It does all sort of things, you can change the file format and also file size, pretty easy to use too. It also comes in handy if you ever run into a file you dont have the right codec for.

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
ero87 said:
this is what i see when trying to re-export the quicktime file:

Which one is H.264?!

Here's a list showing the default settings for iMovie's export options. If they won't do, choose expert, then Quicktime Movie and press the options button. You can then select h.264 and dial in any size and compression, but if you don't know what you're doing it's probably best to stick with iMovie's programmed settings

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.