Any way to stop a crack in the windshield from running?

Discussion in 'Community' started by mactastic, Jan 4, 2005.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    So the other day while it's pouring rain, I'm driving to work and I catch a rock on the windshield. Didn't notice at first what with all the rain on the windshield, but it had cracked just below where the wiper is on the passenger side when it's down. IOW, just about a half inch above where the glass starts. But then it started to spread, cracking straight upwards for about 5", then making a left turn and it's about 2" long that way over the course of the next couple days. Right now it's in a pretty innocuous spot, totally out of my vision. Problem is, if I can't stop it I know I'm gonna end up replacing the glass real soon which I'd rather aviod.

So... I thought I'd heard something about a product that could stop a crack from spreading. Anyone here know what it is, and if so, how effective it is?

Many thanks in advance.
  2. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Take away it's shoes!

Anyway, there are several repair kits that I saw doing a quick Google search, but I haven't used any. Generally speaking though, this is an inexpensive replacement via your insurance - most are a $50 windshield replacement. Have you checked that out? I've used mine a couple of times in the past, and there hasn't been a premium increase because of it (but you may want to check with your company).
  3. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Interesting... I'll have to check that out, I hadn't considered it since I assumed my premium would rise. I have AAA insurance, they're supposed to be pretty good.
  4. aricher macrumors 68020

Feb 20, 2004
    Insurance rates can go up if you use them to replace your windshield - check with your company for details. I replaced my windshield (Honda Civic) last year for $100. I called around to a bunch of glass places in the phonebook until I found the cheapest one. Most people wanted $250-300.
  5. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Get it replaced. The last thing you want is a weakened screen in any kind of accident if you're unfortunate enough to have one.

Resin repairs are fine on very small stone cracks, but once you're in multiple inch territory it's just not worth the risk.
  6. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    the great OKLAHOMA....
    I know this sounds funny - but when i got a huge crack in mine, Cut a T looking thing. It stops it for a while. But if you have a nice vehicle it is best to get it replaced anyways.

7. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    Man, that sucks. My windshield cracked a few months ago too, from some errant rock on the freeway.

I have AAA insurance as well. I called to ask what the deductable would be for a windshield repair, and they said they had just discontinued the windshield deductable thing (?!). Anyway, the dealer wanted $475 to install a new windshield, but I ended up getting it done elsewhere for $150. The new windshield looks pretty much like the old one, too.

If you can, park your car indoors or at least somewhere cool. When the inside of your car gets hot, it seems to really get the crack going (probably because heat expands? I guess).
  8. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Apr 11, 2002

Actually, I've found the opposite to be true. I have a crack that started as a chip. It didn't turn into a crack until the winter, because as the glass contracts, it causes the crack to appear or lengthen.
  9. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    I would agree with iGav — get it replaced, you don't want another stone going and shattering it on the freeway.