Any way to use SSH across the Internet?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by DVDSP, Nov 22, 2003.

1. DVDSP macrumors regular

While at home, if my wife is using her iBook and connected to our network I'll use ssh to launch iChat on her and start a conversation (such as "Hey, when are you gonna come in and start supper?" :)).

Now, I'm curious if I could do the same thing to my brother who is two states away. If so, what information do I need to sneak out of his computer while he isn't looking so I can do it on the sly?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

2. reh macrumors 6502a

You'd need his hostname or IP address as well as an account on his computer with permission to open apps on his screen.

If he's on dialup, his IP will most likely change every time he connects.

3. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Re: Any way to use SSH across the Internet?

yah ..u need his IP..& a username and password....and mostly the service providers give a non-permanent IP address...so it wd change evrytime he logs on...perhaps u cn trick him into getting a permanent IP;) he cn do that by asking his service provider....

4. alset macrumors 65816

alset

However, you can look into using dyndns.org to simplify things. I use dyndns for my web server and access my home computers through the net.

Dan

5. DVDSP thread starter macrumors regular

Fortunately he uses a cable modem. I know that my IP address is the same on my cable modem so I'm guessing that his will be, too.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't log in, since he's the only user in the house. If that's the case do I still need a password or will his user name work alone?

Thanks,

6. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Re: Any way to use SSH across the Internet?

It sounds like you're only using the Rendezvous component of iChat. If that's the case, this wouldn't work with your brother. You could ssh in and launch iChat of course, but Rendezvous isn't going to see him without some additional tweaking (like setting up port forwarding with ssh) - and that would have the potential for breaking things on his computer if he's using Rendezvous-enabled printers, his own local iChat, etc.

Why not get your wife and brother to create AIM accounts? Then you can iChat whether they're next door or in Botswana (assuming they're on the internet of course). Then they can either put it in their menubar, or have it launch at startup (using account preferences).

Just go to http://www.aim.com and click on the link "how do I get started" on the right? You'll be taken to a form that will let you create an account. You don't need to download their software, of course.

You can also do this with .Mac accounts, if you've all got them.

7. DVDSP thread starter macrumors regular

Re: Re: Any way to use SSH across the Internet?

Yeah, we all have .Mac accounts but what I'm looking for here is to screw with my brother a little. Ya know, for example, he logs out of iChat, I log him back in remotely. It's basically what I do with my wife but it wouldn't be on our home network.

I'm sure I can get him to tell me his IP address and I can probably guess his user name. However, figuring out his password is another matter. I'd have to be in front of his computer "helping" him with something that needed an admin password to "fix" and then prompt him for it, but that's another matter.

8. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

well...still as far as i know u wd need his password.....anyways u cn give it a shot right now n see urself..
    best of luck
    cheers

abhi