Any way to video chat w/out ichat??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Invizzible, May 12, 2006.

1. Invizzible macrumors regular

Feb 9, 2003
    I'm trying to figure out how to video chat with someone who has Windows. Obviously, iChat isn't an option. So far I've tried Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger and both had ridiculously slow video (less than 1 fps), and Skype which doesn't even appear to have video chat capabilities. Since the purpose of these chats would be so my friend can do online English pronounciation lessons, smooth video is a must so the teacher can see the lips of the student move. The teacher has Windows, and the student has access to both Panther and Tiger, and has an iSight. I'm using a fairly fast DSL connection, (iChat gives me perfectly smooth video). Does anyone know of a solution?
  2. pistolshrimp macrumors newbie

May 8, 2006
    I think you can download a free trial but then you have to pay. I did it awhile ago and got 1 month free I think. Warning: Lots of naked people on it. I think there might be few MSN Clones out there you can use web cam,

iSpQ VideoChat X - 7.2.1

Product Description:
    iSpQ VideoChat is a suite of video communication tools wrapped in an easy-to-use interface. Meet new people or communicate with friends and family using iSpQ.
    The feature list includes:
    Video instant messaging
    ICQ compatibility
    Multi-person videoconferencing
    Text chat rooms
    Pal lists
    User profiles
    Whether your connection is modem-based or broadband, iSpQ optimizes your computer and Internet speed for the best possible video and audio performance. iSpQ VideoChat is available in English, Dutch, French and German for Windows and in Mac OS.
  3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I don't understand why iChatAV on the Mac end and AIM on the Windows end is not an option? You know that Mac iChatAV can communicate with AIM, right?
  4. Pistol Pete macrumors 6502a

Pistol Pete

Jan 6, 2005
    So Cal
    or you can always do yahoo messenger and skype, but just use ichat...
  5. road dog macrumors regular

Mar 12, 2004
    i tried ichat on mac to aol on pc. quality was awful.

in the end i settled on sightspeed which has a mac and pc client.
    great quality and not a single issue to hook up.
    works fine with my isight on mac and my mom's logitech usb on her pc.

highly recommend it.