Any way to view number of text messages sent/received?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stampyhead, Jan 2, 2008.

1. macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

My niece asked me this question today and I can't find anywhere on the phone or AT&T's website where one can view the number of text messages sent and/or received. I'm not really sure why she even wants to know this since she has unlimited text with her plan, but nonethless - does anyone know if this information is available anywhere? I couldn't find it anywhere on the phone itself.

2. McGiord, Jan 2, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

macrumors 68040

McGiord

Sadly you have to log in into your att wireless account.

If you don't have the bookmark, in your iPhone Go to Settings -> Phone -> AT&T Services -> AT&T MyAccount, Then Safari opens the website and you log in.

I was hoping to find it listed in the AT&T Services like the View My Minutes request.
    I am not a big SMS user so I don't care how much I have used, but I would imagine that AT&T must have a way to request that info like you'll do it with other phones/carriers: either via sending a SMS to request that or dialing an * number.
    ________
    Rambler Classic

3. macrumors 65816

My received text messages are all sequentially numbered. Also, in the online account management main page under the data tab it says Messaging and the number of messages used. Clicking on View Details lists every text message sent and received along with the time and date.

I don't think she could need much more information than all of that.

4. macrumors 68040

nickspohn

5. macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I would recommend...

checking the monthly bill. Each text message is given a number and you can see the phone number that the text message was sent to and the time it was sent, and for whatever reason the text message list 2.0 minutes per message, regardless of the length of the text message. I have family unlimited text msg plan as well and it's a real bargain. :cool:

6. macrumors 65816

7. macrumors 6502a

Does placing a call to *DATA# not work? That's *3282#.

I've never tried it and since I just merged two iPhones into a family plan my data information is not available until my next billing cycle.

I can confirm that calling this number results in a pop-up on the iPhone: "Thank you, your request is being processed. A message will be sent to your phone."

The SMS response I receive reads, "This information is not available until your next bill cycle."

Can someone let me know what they get back as an SMS. I know if I did this on Verizon I got back my SMS sent and received numbers.

8. macrumors 68020

question fear

You get a text that says data: Unlimited, and then Messaging: #of messages left.

It took a second, because I really thought I'd used 1416 texts, until i read it said DATA REMAINING at the top.

9. macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Obviously. Then you login and it "should" redirect you to that page.

10. macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I did the *3282#...

and the VIEW said: MEdia Net/Internet(MB): Unlimited; Messaging: 200; Messaging Overage: 61977; See att.com/starservices for applicable limitations. So, it seems to work! :cool:

11. macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Worked great for me. If the info is not available, I agree, it could be the billing cycle turn over, try again in a day or two.

12. macrumors 68020

question fear

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Holy crap! I would sign up for unlimited messaging RIGHT NOW!!! 61,977 OVER?!?!?!?!

13. macrumors 65816

No. In a newly logged in state it just took me to the usual account summary as a normal login.

14. thread starter macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Cool, thanks for the tips everyone. She's on a prepaid phone, I don't know if that matters. Anyway, it turns out she was just in an argument with her friend about who sends the most text messages. She just wanted to check it to see who won... :rolleyes: Freaking teenagers...